New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

L bracket for 6DII

lighthound
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · L bracket for 6DII

Does anyone know what the typical lead time is for companies such as RRS to develop and release new L brackets for new camera models?

Are some companies quicker to the finish line over others? If so which company?

I'm going to feel lost without an L bracket on my 6DII but can survive for a while until they are available, just was wondering how long I need to survive for.

Any chance that the 6D bracket would fit properly?

Jul 26, 2017 at 02:48 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · L bracket for 6DII

Have you considered a universal L-bracket? The high-quality ones are a lot more pricier (or, rather, the pricier ones are high-quality; don't know if the cheaper ones are high- or low-quality), but this will probably pay off itself in the long run after the third body migration or so.

With this Arca-Swiss model, one VERY nice thing is the ability to laterally adjust the position without unscrewing the camera from the plate.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/723386-REG/Arca_Swiss_802306_Universal_L_Bracket.html

I currently use RRS plates, and use (blue) loctite to secure the plate to the body. This means that I have to choose either a close-in position, with the vertical post pressed close to the body, which is compact for packing or even holding, but leaves no room for cables, or spaced out, with the vertical post leaving a gap for cables, making it take up a precious 1" more room in my bag. The Arca-Swiss solution solves this problem elegantly, and I have been musing getting it ...

Jul 26, 2017 at 04:14 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · L bracket for 6DII

Since it's apparently pointless to shoot landscapes with this camera, RRS and Kirk will not produce any L-brackets.

(Just kidding, in case it wasn't obvious!)

Jul 26, 2017 at 05:05 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · L bracket for 6DII

A quick call to Really Right Stuff and to Kirk will get you each of their estimates on lead time for their custom fitted L brackets for the 6D2. The lead time varies depending on how early they can get their hands on a real body to do their design and prototype work. I highly recommend a custom fitted bracket over a generic fit one, and am quite partial to RRS, but Kirk makes good stuff too.

Generic L brackets do not cup and form fit to the body, and thus are prone to having the whole camera rotate on the plate while you are trying to shoot, especially when shooting in the portrait orientation. Some people try to avoid that problem by tightening the mounting screw way too tight, which can damage the camera, so another reason to avoid the generic L brackets. Generic L brackets can also block access to the battery, or prevent a remote release from being plugged in, which are additional issues to worry about.

I have been using Really Right Stuff L brackets on over 10 different Canon camera models over the last 18 years, and have never had the mounting screw come loose on its own. A simple firm but not real tight installation of the screw works great, and it stays put. And the choice to easily remove or install an L bracket as needed is also very valuable. I had never even thought of the concept of using blue Loctite in the camera attachment threads when using an L bracket, and would strongly suggest to everyone to avoid that.

Jul 26, 2017 at 05:28 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · L bracket for 6DII

jeetsukumaran wrote:
Have you considered a universal L-bracket? The high-quality ones are a lot more pricier (or, rather, the pricier ones are high-quality; don't know if the cheaper ones are high- or low-quality), but this will probably pay off itself in the long run after the third body migration or so.

With this Arca-Swiss model, one VERY nice thing is the ability to laterally adjust the position without unscrewing the camera from the plate.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/723386-REG/Arca_Swiss_802306_Universal_L_Bracket.html

I currently use RRS plates, and use (blue) loctite to secure the plate to the body. This means that I have to choose either a close-in position, with the
...Show more

Thanks for the link and info on those. I do want to keep the price down though and those puppies are up there.

---------------------------------------------

garyvot wrote:
Since it's apparently pointless to shoot landscapes with this camera, RRS and Kirk will not produce any L-brackets.

(Just kidding, in case it wasn't obvious!)

Yeah, I know. What can I say, I'm a sadistic bastard and like to punish myself. I should probably just use some duct tape and a wooden block on such a pathetic camera.
And I have read that if you get enough motion blur you can increase the DR so I'm thinking the duct tape might be a good option for me.

---------------------------------------------

Roland W wrote:
A quick call to Really Right Stuff and to Kirk will get you each of their estimates on lead time for their custom fitted L brackets for the 6D2. The lead time varies depending on how early they can get their hands on a real body to do their design and prototype work. I highly recommend a custom fitted bracket over a generic fit one, and am quite partial to RRS, but Kirk makes good stuff too.

Generic L brackets do not cup and form fit to the body, and thus are prone to having the whole camera rotate
...Show more

Thanks Roland! I'll give them a shout and see what they say.
And I agree 100%. I have a RRS bracket on my current 5DII and I can't imagine using a camera without them now that I've gotten use to using one. The quality of these do make a big difference. I have a Kirk foot on my 100-400II and they are also very good quality.

Jul 26, 2017 at 05:49 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · L bracket for 6DII

Roland W wrote:
Generic L brackets do not cup and form fit to the body, and thus are prone to having the whole camera rotate on the plate while you are trying to shoot, especially when shooting in the portrait orientation.

This is good caution/advice.

Roland W wrote:
Generic L brackets can also block access to the battery, or prevent a remote release from being plugged in, which are additional issues to worry about.

This, on the other hand, is not accurate, at least with respect to the Arca-Swiss plate, which is specifically engineered to provide facultative access to the cable and battery compartments, without compromising on space when you do not need them.

Roland W wrote:
I had never even thought of the concept of using blue Loctite in the camera attachment threads when using an L bracket, and would strongly suggest to everyone to avoid that.

Then, allow me to broaden some conceptual horizons here! RRS themselves offer a similar solution,

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Medium-threadlocker-fluid-single-use-application

and, while not explicitly recommended on the product web page, an RRS rep I talked to a few years back did indeed recommend this for me and I have been using it since with no issue at all. YMMV, of course, but I would definitely defer to RRS' recommendation over yours in this case, as my experience with blue loctite in this application and others confirms that it can only help and (within reason) cannot hurt

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Medium-threadlocker-fluid-single-use-application

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:04 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · L bracket for 6DII

I use loc tite on a lot of things, but who in the world is going to spend $4 on a single application when you can buy an entire bottle for that price? Just me picking here. I do like RRS products but it seems like everything on that site is beyond expensive. I'm not saying it's bad quality, not at all. Just a "pricey" item.

Aug 01, 2017 at 01:55 PM
Lars Leber
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · L bracket for 6DII

lighthound wrote:
Any chance that the 6D bracket would fit properly?

Just got my 6D II and put the L-Bracket from my 6D on it. Fits perfect. However, it severely (as in I really need a newly designed bracket now!) limits the motion of the flip LCD screen.

Aug 01, 2017 at 08:00 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · L bracket for 6DII

Guessing it bight foul cable release a bit too?

Aug 01, 2017 at 08:07 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · L bracket for 6DII

Lars Leber wrote:
Just got my 6D II and put the L-Bracket from my 6D on it. Fits perfect. However, it severely (as in I really need a newly designed bracket now!) limits the motion of the flip LCD screen.

Dang, that would be a show stopper for me. I gotta have the flippy screen no matter what.

I called RRS yesterday and they weren't even aware that the 6DII's were now shipping until I told him. He said once they get one in their hands it would be about 6 weeks before they completed the design and had some ready to go.

My wife needed a Christmas gift idea for me anyhow I guess.

Aug 01, 2017 at 08:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · L bracket for 6DII

I'm curious if the 80D RRS L-bracket might fit the 6DII?

Is there anyone out there that owns both the 80D and 6DII and could verify this would or wouldn't work?

I have a trip coming up next month and would really like to have a L bracket with me. I don't think RRS will have any available by then.

Aug 10, 2017 at 01:32 PM
EPSI
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · L bracket for 6DII

I'm hoping the same - that maybe people with lots more L plates laying around than I have might see if another fits the 6D2? I don't have one that fits and also have a trip coming up soon that I would like one for. The 80D is a good idea. And I appreciate the person reporting about the 6D plate interfering with the screen. Guess I'll cross that off the list.

Aug 11, 2017 at 04:28 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · L bracket for 6DII

I use the RRS L-bracket on my 80D and, although the vertical component sorta allows use of the flip screen—it flips out—angles are so limited I found it nearly useless (e.g., can't reverse for video blogging and self monitoring). Luckily the vertical component is removable so mine lives in the drawer.

Aug 11, 2017 at 06:03 PM
EPSI
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · L bracket for 6DII

I emailed Sunwayfoto to see what their ETA is. As of 8/11/17 they said 1-2 months; they just started on it.

I'm rarely an early adopter and don't change bodies that often, but am thinking maybe a reasonably priced universal L bracket will get me through this upcoming trip and then will be my stand in for future needs on either new bodies or bodies I for some reason don't have a bracket for. Just have to figure out if any of them would work okay given the flip screen...

Aug 11, 2017 at 06:13 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · L bracket for 6DII

Gochugogi wrote:
I use the RRS L-bracket on my 80D and, although the vertical component sorta allows use of the flip screen—it flips out—angles are so limited I found it nearly useless (e.g., can't reverse for video blogging and self monitoring). Luckily the vertical component is removable so mine lives in the drawer.

Do you by any chance have a 6DII as well that you could verify the 80D bracket will fit the 6DII?
I don't care about blocking off the side ports as I'll only put the side piece on when needed. Which sucks, but I gotta have the flippy screen always. I just need to verify the 80D L bracket will fit the 6DII.

I just called RRS again and it doesn't sound like they have even started on it yet. The guy I talked to (Chris) couldn't even tell me if they have a 6DII yet to take measurements off from so I'm not sure he really knows what the real status is.

I'm getting desperate here and running out of time.

Anyone?

Sep 07, 2017 at 05:15 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · L bracket for 6DII

I have a 6D—not a 6D2—but no way the 80D RRS L plate fits the 6D and I'm pretty sure the 6D2 as well. The 80D L plate doesn't fit the 70D either and they share the same battery grip...

Sep 07, 2017 at 10:27 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · L bracket for 6DII

Dang. Thanks for the info.

Sep 07, 2017 at 11:14 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · L bracket for 6DII

The distance from bolt hole center to left hinge edge is about 2.5mm variance.

80D = 51mm
6D2 = 53.5mm

Given the "slot" on the 80D RRS L ...
While intended to facilitate removal of the vertical or expansion for cables, if it can be "adjustable" to cover the 2.5mm variance.

jeetsukumaran wrote:
I currently use RRS plates ... I have to choose either a close-in position, with the vertical post pressed close to the body, which is compact for packing or even holding, but leaves no room for cables, or spaced out, with the vertical post leaving a gap for cables, making it take up a precious 1" more room in my bag.

The distance from hole center to front contour is about 1mm variance. Depending on how "snug" it fits the 80D, that 1mm may be okay, or it may be a "no-go". The thickness between the lens & grip (where the front tab would reside) shares a similar additional thickness.

Too close to call from the cheap seats. I suspect that it might "ride on" vs. "rest in" the contour okay, as it could be an interference fit that won't reach bottom for full contact on the plate. Again, too close to call from here how that mm makes a diff ... i.e. works okay, kinda okay in a pinch ... or just flat out nope.

Sep 08, 2017 at 02:02 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · L bracket for 6DII

You might try ProMedia. Some of their "fitted" plates are simply generic plates with a metal pin to keep it from spinning, so production may be faster than Kirk/RRS. The pin fits in the pinhole used to keep the battery grip from twisting. My 60D plate fit my 60D, 70D and 80D perfectly.

Sep 08, 2017 at 06:43 AM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · L bracket for 6DII

Thanks for taking the time to gather that info Kent!
I think it's going to be safer to just wait for a custom fit model.

I did see the ProMedia product the other day and almost went that route but those look pretty beefy. I'd like it to be a little slimmer design like my old RRS L plate on my 5DII.

On a happy note, I just got off the phone with Gary at Kirk Enterprises and he told me they have their new design figured out and will be coming off the production line by Sept 22nd. He said they have come up with a completely new "swivel" design that will allow the vertical to be rotated out of the way to give the flip screen complete freedom of rotation. Hopefully it will not be too bulky.

Sight unseen I just placed my pre-order as this sounds like a fantastic design. I just hope they don't run into any unforeseen production issues that will delay shipment. I even begged him to send me their prototype and offered to be a beta tester for them. That ain't gonna happen but I tried.

If anyone is interested let me know and I'll post up some pics once it arrives. But of course they will probably already have photo's themselves on their website by then so.

Fingers crossed!

Dave

Sep 08, 2017 at 12:50 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password