New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Windows and malware

bs kite
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Windows and malware

1. As a Windows user, how often do you have to deal with malware/viruses ?

2. How do you deal with this nastiness when it occurs?

Thank you

Robert

Jul 26, 2017 at 01:02 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Windows and malware

not since XP. with 7 through 10 so far (and that's just under 10 years) I just use the built in features (Defender) and it has worked for me along with due diligence.

due diligence being:
- keeping the OS updated on a regular basis (that is on as it is known today as update Tuesday or the 2nd Tuesday of every month)
- not going to places that are renowned for being "sketchy"

even my daughters laptop through 4 years of college never ran afoul. win 7-10. when she came home from school each time she handed it over and it given the once over.

has something occurred?
what is it?
what windows version?

Edited on Jul 26, 2017 at 02:04 PM · View previous versions

Jul 26, 2017 at 01:25 PM
jstrawman
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Windows and malware

[not since XP. with 7 through 10 so far (and that's just under 10 years) I just use the built in features and it has work for me along with due diligence.

due diligence being:
- keeping the OS updated on a regular basis (that is on as it is known today as update Tuesday or the 2nd Tuesday of every month)
- not going to places that are renowned for being "sketchy"

Good advice that has also worked for me. The built-in features of Windows are adequate to keep you out of trouble, using a little common sense.

Jul 26, 2017 at 01:58 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Windows and malware

oh, contrary to urban myth apple is not immune to everything "nasty".

Jul 26, 2017 at 02:38 PM
MalbikEndar
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Windows and malware

No problems at all since I moved to Windows 7.

I had updates turned off for years but decided to update after the recent scare.

I never install new operating systems and I often use old software because it's fast and familiar. And, in the case of older photoshop, already paid for.

Jul 26, 2017 at 03:06 PM
tung256

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Windows and malware

i've been a windows user since forever. i got infected only twice.

1- clicking on a link in an email that looks like ebay. lesson learned: look at the link preview to verify that it will take to www.ebay.com instead of something like www.ebayy.com
2- going to unknown websites. lesson learned: use Virtual Boxes. a good software i often use is "Browser in the Box." basically, it's a browser in a virtual linux. so if the virus or malware infects, it doesnt affect windows.

3. always have a cloned drive and back ups. this applies to everyone, not just windows though. i use backblaze.com. unlimited file backup for about $5/month. you cannot find anything cheaper than that. if you do, let us know.

dont bother with using antivirus or other protection software. these things slow your machine down and not 100%. if you follow the 3 lessons i learned above, you'll be fine.

Jul 26, 2017 at 03:58 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Windows and malware

MalbikEndar wrote:
No problems at all since I moved to Windows 7.

I had updates turned off for years but decided to update after the recent scare.

I never install new operating systems and I often use old software because it's fast and familiar. And, in the case of older photoshop, already paid for.

the only flaw in your thinking is that anything that works on windows 7 pretty much works on windows 10. that was a free upgrade and so far is proving to be a smoother running system that is more compact and uses less resources. it is being refined monthly too.

currently running well on multiple machines aged across a 9 year gap. even have the next gen running on my beta box.

Jul 26, 2017 at 04:33 PM
tuantran
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Windows and malware

Be wary of freeware that you download from various sites. Freeware such as VLC player or Audacity are nice and malware free. On the other hand, Freeware such as Format Factory used to be nice but really infected with malware. You don't know it until you actually install it.

So if you don't install that many application on Windows 7 and 10 and use Defender, you're mostly fine. Even my wife doesn't have that many problems.

Oh, when you do have malware or viruses, re-install your OS. That's the safest route.

Jul 26, 2017 at 06:33 PM
Mikehit
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Windows and malware

I have Windows 10 and use Bitdefender. Before that I used Vipre or McAfee and had everything set to updates, with twice weekly scans.

I think myself and my wife are below average on the surfing front and we try and avoid installing any programmes we are not convinced we need. And we don't have kids going rogue on the internet so maybe this helps.
And, of course, backup. At least two.

Jul 26, 2017 at 07:22 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Windows and malware

i wouldn't waste my money on the outside AV and my cable company offers McAfee for free still don't use it.

Edited on Jul 26, 2017 at 10:29 PM · View previous versions

Jul 26, 2017 at 07:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

peter_n
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Windows and malware

sjms wrote:
not since XP.

Me too, but with the exception that I only started with Win 8.1 because my huge contract client of many years doggedly stuck with XP for way too long. I've so far avoided catastrophe also, I use Defender and Malwarebytes and install upgrades to the OS as they come along. My interpretation of due diligence is using common sense; if you must visit dodgy sites use the the Tor browser and/or run the OS in a virtual machine.

Jul 26, 2017 at 07:55 PM
dmcphoto
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Windows and malware

I had a Windows malware problem one time since the early 1990s, about 10 years ago. Since I always have a good backup all I had to do was restore it rather than screw around fixing things. I lost maybe 5 emails. With that said I don't click on links in emails that promise fame, wealth, or a larger ...equipment. You can thwart 99% of all malware issues by not doing stupid stuff.

Jul 27, 2017 at 12:03 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Windows and malware

bs kite wrote:
1. As a Windows user, how often do you have to deal with malware/viruses ?

2. How do you deal with this nastiness when it occurs?

Thank you

Robert

1. Once in August 2003 I was hit by Blaster on travel, but not since then.

2. I restored the C: partition with True Image or whatever I was using before that.

EBH

Jul 27, 2017 at 12:20 AM
Mataz426
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Windows and malware

Haven't used any spyware or adware tools in years. Been using Firefox and I think that helps a lot. Also after I have a nice clean install with all the current updates, I used clonezilla and if I have to recover, it take about five minutes. Very nice. Using windows 7 btw.

Edited on Aug 10, 2017 at 12:29 AM · View previous versions

Jul 27, 2017 at 12:31 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Windows and malware

I use Norton's. Free with my Comcast. My problem is yahoo keeps popping up a big red screen warning me to "update" firefox. Now I just close it down. I am weaning myself away from yahoo anymore. I have a couple yahoo emails filled with so much fake info as to be laughable.

Jul 27, 2017 at 12:32 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Windows and malware

Mataz426 wrote:
Haven't used any spyware or adware tools in years. Been using Firefox and I think that helps a lot. Also after I had a nice clean install with all the currant updates, I used clonezilla and if I have to recover, it take about five minutes. Very nice.

Exactly. I use the Macrium Reflector, but your choice one is fine too. I usually restore C: about once a week.

EBH

Jul 27, 2017 at 12:34 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Windows and malware

I have far more problems with Windows than any other malware.
If it can go wrong then it surely will on my pc.

I don't have a clean install because it would not have the software that I want and use. By the time I get everything installed and configured, the computer has crashed and I've started again or else the registry is so cluttered that I could not rate it as a clean install. However, I rotate three removable system drives that I clone externally without using Windows, so I've always got the latest and two slightly older backups that are ready to go as quickly as I can insert the drive into the caddy.

The timing of my system cloning relates to how much I have downloaded (involving time and cost) and / or how many hours I have spent adding new software.

System images and snapshots are made very often but historically they have tended to be more problematic - just because they can, if for no other reasons.

- Alan

Jul 28, 2017 at 02:20 PM
dmcphoto
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Windows and malware

Early this morning my Windows 10 Pro wanted to update. I clicked "snooze". Later when I wanted to shut down the computer there was an option to "install updates and shut down". I did that. An hour or more later, not long before I had to leave the house for a client's office, I wanted to check whether a quote I requested had come in. I turned on the computer and instead of just booting up in 8 or so seconds as usual, it told me it was "updating windows", "this could take a while", "don't turn off your computer", and "your computer will restart multiple times". Great. Everything they said was true, but after the final reboot my NEC monitor was covered with diagonal violet lines and icons and characters on the screen were huge. I got a message from the Nec Spectraview calibration software that it could not communicate with any compatible monitor. Oh, almost forgot, my second monitor didn't work at all. The Windows 10 update had thoughtfully updated my video card driver with some basic Windows driver that didn't work. It also wanted to turn on all sorts of privacy infringing crap to track my preferences for advertising, location, etc., etc.. I had to turn off all of that stuff through purple lines with my now enormous cursor. After that I restarted the computer manually and the violet lines were gone. Then I had to find and download the driver that was present and working fine before the update and reinstall it. After that everything was back to normal except the arrangement of icons on my desktop and some display settings, the latter because I did a "clean" install of the video driver. Without fixing that small stuff I was lastly able to check for the quote (which had arrived) about 45 minutes after I turned on the computer for a "quick" check of my email.

I generally find Windows to be very reliable and easy to live with, but I hate the updates. If I want a particular new app or function I'd rather go look for it than have Microsoft decide what I should need. They seem to want my desktop computer to act like a cell phone, which IMO is completely inappropriate. I might think differently if I was 12 years old and addicted to Facebook and Twitter...

Jul 28, 2017 at 07:45 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Windows and malware

I run F-secure as antivirus, and the no-script addon for firefox to protect against drive-by infections from ad networks. And for extra protection, i visit any "suspect" sites using a Linux Virtual Machine set up specifically for that purpose.

While i ran a research lab with a number of PC's and a lot of student users we used to get occasional infections, usually from USB sticks, of viruses that hadn't yet hit the antivirus vendor databases. I would spot them because my work laptop would inevitably get them too, and i tend to keep an eye on what processes i have running. Generally i would submit the suspect exe's to the antiviral manufacturers and a couple of weeks later they would magically disappear from the lab computers. Still, it was bloody annoying to deal with, so i set up a network server to hold all the data files and shared it read-only over the university network. If you can offer a way to get data that is even easier than USB, then people do actually use it and your virus problems disappear like magic.

Jul 28, 2017 at 08:24 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Windows and malware

Alan321 wrote:
I have far more problems with Windows than any other malware.
If it can go wrong then it surely will on my pc.

I don't have a clean install because it would not have the software that I want and use. By the time I get everything installed and configured, the computer has crashed and I've started again or else the registry is so cluttered that I could not rate it as a clean install. However, I rotate three removable system drives that I clone externally without using Windows, so I've always got the latest and two slightly older backups that are
...Show more

sounds confusing and over engineered to me.

- I don't have a clean install because it would not have the software that I want and use.

what software would you not have?

Edited on Jul 28, 2017 at 09:08 PM · View previous versions

Jul 28, 2017 at 08:48 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password