New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Canon "famous" skin tones

Luis Cunha
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon "famous" skin tones

From time to time we read about the Canon "famous" skin tones and the Canon colour science, to do that.
In spite of being a subjective topic, could someone help me understand if the "famous" skin tones are present just when shooting jpegs (not RAW); processed by camera?
Thank you.

Jul 26, 2017 at 06:59 AM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon "famous" skin tones

In comparison to Nikon, Canons generally produce a slightly warmer image with slightly more saturation. Nikons generally produce a slightly cooler or neutral image. This was true even in the film era, so I suspect it as much a matter of the lens multicoating and formulations as today's sensor and jpeg conversion.

It's not just Canon users that say this--I've worked alongside pro Nikon shooters who brought up the subject. They generally love their Nikons, but they sometimes wish for the Canon warmth.

Jul 26, 2017 at 07:29 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon "famous" skin tones

Canons do have generally pleasing flesh tones, but they have a tendency to go red. I don't normally shoot jpegs so I adjust in post.

Leica have excellent skin tones. I've been trying out Fuji X cameras and they jpegs are remarkable. You have several simulated film profiles and can choose the one that works best with a particular subject and lighting situation. In addition, I can take a photo, use the built in wifi transmit a sized image to my iPad and have it posted here or on social media within a minute of capture.

Jul 26, 2017 at 08:02 AM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon "famous" skin tones

But it´s a Jpeg incamera "thing"? Not RAW of course.

Jul 26, 2017 at 08:16 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon "famous" skin tones

I think that applies to RAW as well. Jpegs are not warmer than RAW. The camera and applicable software still uses picture styles.

Jul 26, 2017 at 10:38 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon "famous" skin tones

dmacmillan wrote:
Canons do have generally pleasing flesh tones, but they have a tendency to go red. I don't normally shoot jpegs so I adjust in post.

Leica have excellent skin tones. I've been trying out Fuji X cameras and they jpegs are remarkable. You have several simulated film profiles and can choose the one that works best with a particular subject and lighting situation. In addition, I can take a photo, use the built in wifi transmit a sized image to my iPad and have it posted here or on social media within a minute of capture.

Yes. Canon's skin tones go red, Nikon's go yellow, Sony's go green.

To the OP: Yes, you will see the famous "Canon colors" in out of the camera JPEGs or if you use DPP to convert RAWs. You will also see a close facsimile if using the camera-specific profiles in Adobe software.

Remember that you can use Canon's Picture Style settings to modify the look of your JPEGs according to your taste.

On newer bodies, Picture Style settings have been enhanced to include detailed sharpening settings. This is nice because for years Canon's JPEGs have suffered from excessive NR softening and by aggressive high radius sharpening that causes halos and artifacts. You still can't do much about the NR, but you can improve detail and sharpening. Try selecting the 'Fine Detail' Picture Style instead of 'Standard', if available, (this also applies a slightly softer contrast curve which helps with highlights) and then turning down sharpening a notch or two and see what you think.

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:17 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon "famous" skin tones

I did some searching at one time and found this if you use Adobe and want to cool the reds. Of course you lose in other areas.

Profile: Camera Standard

Red Hue = 4,

Red Saturation = -4

BlueHue = 10

BlueSaturation = -6

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:35 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon "famous" skin tones

The above settings are for the calibration palette. I just tried those settings in DPP's colour palette. Tamed the reds a bit.

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:39 PM
rittrato
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon "famous" skin tones

Canon is great but Fuji is on another level when it comes to color, particularly skin tones.

Jul 26, 2017 at 05:58 PM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon "famous" skin tones

rittrato wrote:
Canon is great but Fuji is on another level when it comes to color, particularly skin tones.

Why? The Film heritage?

Jul 26, 2017 at 07:04 PM
Josef Isayo
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon "famous" skin tones

rittrato wrote:

Fuji is the only non medium format camera that has nicer skin tone than Canon. I wish they made a FF ML with as extensive system as their current APC.

Jul 26, 2017 at 07:24 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon "famous" skin tones

Luis Cunha wrote:
Why? The Film heritage?

Yeah, I actually think that's a big part of it. They put a lot of effort into good color and JPEG processing... Their equivalent of "Picture Styles" are in fact "film looks" that match the color, contrast and saturation characteristics of Provia, Velvia, etc. Even if you have never shot film and have no connection with that history, the options are great.

Jul 26, 2017 at 08:03 PM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon "famous" skin tones

Both for Jpegs and video (jpegs again) ,-)
I´m a RAW shooter but I guess for video and Jpeg shooters its a nice option.

Jul 27, 2017 at 03:48 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon "famous" skin tones

rittrato wrote:

Have to say .. I see this but have come to believe it to be a "popular rumour". Having looked in detail at it, and having using Fujis, I actually never was happy with their colours when I did a like for like comparison.

I found canon colours for skin (not using the LR adobe default, but other profiles) to be noticeably better.

I've never been happy with the Fuji colours. Originally I thought I was, but when I looked at it in detail, I was disappointed.

Understand it's subjective, but maybe try a side by side using different canon profiles (especially neutral) yourself.

Jul 27, 2017 at 06:40 AM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon "famous" skin tones

Subjective indeed.
I know someone (a PRO) that wrote to me; Canon is the only camera that produces an "organic look", even the 5DsR with ISO 5000 with evident visible noise (B&W), looks to him like film (and to me). He just loves the way the camera renders the image and the noise. In his own words, Fuji is too digital. Subjective? Yes. .-)
Like lenses.
I prefer primes over zooms and older and simple designs (less glass and less correction) over more modern lenses. Less sharpness but more 3D. Subjective?

Jul 27, 2017 at 06:54 AM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon "famous" skin tones

One of the many reasons I went with Canon many years ago after decades of shooting with Oly OM-1 film cameras was because of the skin tones. Sure I've been told that the profiles can be changed and yada yada but straight out of camera shooting RAW and getting the wb right it's a no brainer to me.

Everything is so subjective with photography, opinions abound and no way isn't the only way, making the right way sometimes very foggy. I guess I'll just stick to my observations and preferences and keep an open ear to any good suggestions or observations that might be offered.

As noted previously the reds can be a serious concern or problem with Canon. Personally I've found that by limiting the use of saturation in PS and mainly using the vibrance that reds become a lot tamer, ymmv.

Jul 27, 2017 at 09:57 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.