New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · if not the D4s or D5 then what for low light sports

spineguy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · if not the D4s or D5 then what for low light sports

Hello, Im just a soccer dad that has the means for nice things. I currently have the D810 but it is slow all around. i have enjoyed but ready for something else.

D750? D500? wait for the new D8?0

I have the 50 1.8, 85 1.4 and the 70-200 2.8 i also have a 2X teleconverter...

I shoot mostly dance and cheer inside

Baseball, football and soccer outside.

any thoughts? new to stay with what I have...

thanks all!!!

Jul 25, 2017 at 05:32 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · if not the D4s or D5 then what for low light sports

D500

Jul 26, 2017 at 02:01 AM
Photozack81
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · if not the D4s or D5 then what for low light sports

This is honestly more of a glass question. If you've got a 70-200 2.8, any of the cameras on the list will be plenty fast enough, and have good enough ISO performance.

They also should all have highlight priority metering. That's the closest you can get to cheating at photography.

If you don't have the fastest of lenses, the D500 can drive even slower focusing lenses at acceptable speeds.

Jul 26, 2017 at 04:24 AM
dugaut
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · if not the D4s or D5 then what for low light sports

Longer glass, outside anyway.

Jul 26, 2017 at 04:25 AM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · if not the D4s or D5 then what for low light sports

spineguy wrote:
Hello, Im just a soccer dad that has the means for nice things. I currently have the D810 but it is slow all around. i have enjoyed but ready for something else.

D750? D500? wait for the new D8?0

I shoot mostly dance and cheer inside

Baseball, football and soccer outside.

any thoughts? new to stay with what I have...

thanks all!!!

Low light action shooting is only solved by high frame rate high ISO cameras (D4S or D5) and fast primes without the use of a TC. For field sports the 400 f2.8 "G" or "E" is a great place to start. Indoors, the 200 f2 G should be looked at.

There is a reason pro sports shooters use this equipment. They need at least 1/1000 second to stop the action. They need a clean high ISO body to produce a useable ISO 6400 image when shooting at 1/1000 second in bad light.

If I were a soccer dad with "means", the question I would ask myself is, do I want to try less capable equipment and slowly work my way to the pro level gear, and in the process maximizing my cost or bite the cost bullet and get the pro stuff now.

Jul 26, 2017 at 07:42 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · if not the D4s or D5 then what for low light sports

I don't think the D8?0 will be the camera for you. It not aimed at sports or low light. The D500 or D750 is more suited to your needs

Jul 26, 2017 at 08:14 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · if not the D4s or D5 then what for low light sports

D500 without doubt. It's important to remember that on the D500, the 200 f/2 gets the reach of a 300 f/2. The stop you lose with the smaller sensor is to a large degree won back by having large aperture lenses with longer reach.

All these "Must have D4 or D5" for sports discussions look weird to me. I shot sports in all kinds of light and lack thereof with a D300 and a D2Xs for daylight and a D700 in the dark. The photos I took are still selling well. The D500 runs circles around the D700 for high ISO, and you can use the 105mm f/1.4 getting almost 160mm of reach for very, very low light indoor sports. Then there's the Sigma 135mm f/1.8 and for when you really need to stretch, the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8.

Jul 26, 2017 at 08:36 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · if not the D4s or D5 then what for low light sports

There's a couple other options.

1. D3S. Yeah, it's older. It's still very, very good and cheaper than a D500 these days.
2. D700 with MB-D10 and EN-EL4(a) - shockingly cheap, still does 8fps and has very competent AF.

Either of those options will leave you with budget suitable for acquiring better glass for what you are doing.

You're limited by your glass more than anything else. Even your D810 in APS-C crop mode is fast enough for a lot of sports work, if you have the glass you need. f5.6 just isn't enough for this sort of work.

Jul 26, 2017 at 09:02 AM
clay23
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · if not the D4s or D5 then what for low light sports

Don't rule out a used D3 or D3s. Still A highly competitive sports body that can be had for around 1k if you look around.

Jul 26, 2017 at 09:06 AM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · if not the D4s or D5 then what for low light sports

Jorgen Udvang wrote:
....and you can use the 105mm f/1.4 getting almost 160mm of reach for very, very low light indoor sports...

I must warn you the focus speed of the 105 f1.4 is SLOW. I have it and love it for portraits but wouldnt bother trying to shoot sports with it if I could avoid it.

Jul 26, 2017 at 09:37 AM
la puffin
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · if not the D4s or D5 then what for low light sports

RoyC wrote:
If I were a soccer dad with "means", the question I would ask myself is, do I want to try less capable equipment and slowly work my way to the pro level gear, and in the process maximizing my cost or bite the cost bullet and get the pro stuff now.

I agree with Roy on this. The lenses you have are fine aperture/speed wise for indoor, so then it's about a camera AF and low light sensor performance. The D810 isn't a first choice for fast action, especially if it's coming at you because of it's AF.

For the outdoor field sports, the 70-200/2.8 is short for most stuff. With a 1.4x TC, it's going to degrade your D810's AF performance even more. For day time, the 200-400/4 is a viable choice. You can pick up a used v1 for under $2500. AT night, f/4 may hurt you depending on what body/sensor you have.

If you can, I'd wait to hear about the D850 before doing anything You can probably sell the D810 as a direct replacement. When the specs for the AF and sensor are released, that may open things up a bit for you. We should know more about it fairly soon, and get a release date too. If you're going to start shooting this fall, you've got some time.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the D500 for night time sports when it's over 3200 ISO. For my taste and work, I lose too much detail after cleaning up the noise. Surprisingly, I've found Nikon's Capture NX-D to have the best NR for it, and I use PhotoShop for everything else, including my D5 files at 12800 and over (with Neat Image). However, some/many find it perfectly acceptable. It comes down to what quality level you expect. Where do you want to draw the line?

Jul 26, 2017 at 06:30 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · if not the D4s or D5 then what for low light sports

D500

spineguy wrote:

Especially with such short lenses. You also only have one lens that has any hope of focusing fast enough.

Jul 26, 2017 at 06:59 PM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · if not the D4s or D5 then what for low light sports

mawz wrote:
There's a couple other options.

1. D3S. Yeah, it's older. It's still very, very good and cheaper than a D500 these days.
2. D700 with MB-D10 and EN-EL4(a) - shockingly cheap, still does 8fps and has very competent AF.

Either of those options will leave you with budget suitable for acquiring better glass for what you are doing.

You're limited by your glass more than anything else. Even your D810 in APS-C crop mode is fast enough for a lot of sports work, if you have the glass you need. f5.6 just isn't enough for this sort of work.

The D700 is still a very competent camera, and with the grip and EN-EL4, I wouldn't hesitate for a second using it for any sports event, day or night. It's the cheapest option by a mile, and there are thousands of low-click D700 bodies for sale out there.

Jul 26, 2017 at 08:47 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.