New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Annoying MacKeeper pop up

Zenon Char
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Annoying MacKeeper pop up

Anyone else getting this? If I don't use my comp for a few minutes the whole web browser page switches to the MacKeeper ad. 5 days now and bloody annoying. Both my iMac and Mac Air.

I have scoured the Apple forums, followed suggested procedures, cleaned caches, ran Malwarebytes, contacted Apple support and they did a few thing and I was cut off. Wrote to MacKeeper and they responded it was not their fault and they sent me a page with similar instructions that I have been doing.

One time it locked up on me and I was able to get this before it switched.

Jul 25, 2017 at 09:30 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Annoying MacKeeper pop up

I typed in Chacomedia into the finder search window and it took me to that site. Any ideas?

Jul 25, 2017 at 09:35 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Annoying MacKeeper pop up

If you haven't already seen this, check out this recent article from MacWorld:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2861435/software-utilities/how-to-uninstall-mackeeper-from-your-mac.html

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:04 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Annoying MacKeeper pop up

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Jul 26, 2017 at 04:22 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Annoying MacKeeper pop up

MacKeeper is a virus.....Call your Apple Store for the free malware removal tool they use to remove it. My wife's laptop got is because it disguises itself as an "official Apple" program. It is NOT! IT is again a virus. My local Apple store installed and removed MacKeeper free in 5 minutes.
Per Apple Community:
"Do not install MacKeeper
131281 Views | Last Modified: Dec 2, 2015

Many users will see references to an application called MacKeeper on various web sites and via pop-ups on their browser. Not only is it expensive for what it purports to do (freeware applications that do the same or more are readily available), it can sometimes install itself without the user realising it, and it can be very tricky to get rid of. The only utility you must run on a system is a backup utility, and only backed up systems should be troubleshooted with system management utilities, as you may have a hardware problem causing the other system issues, and the only way to isolate hardware or software issues is on a backed up system, otherwise you may completely make your data inaccessible by accident.

MacKeeper has been described by various sources as highly invasive malware* that can de-stablize your operating system, adding that it is unethically marketed, with a history of making false advertising claims, by a company called Zeobit, and a rip-off."
https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3036

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:51 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Annoying MacKeeper pop up

Yes I have found that you look for Zeobit when looking through caches, etc.

I went though all those steps and I spent about hr with Apple support again and they could not solve it. Aside from wiping the drive or going back with Time Machine they is not much out there. I tried Firefox and it popped up as well.

Page 2 of this link has this. I don't like adding more things but so far it is working. No pop-up on my iMac. I opened my laptop and within 15 seconds it came up as I wrote this. Gonna install on the laptop. It also works for Firefox.

https://adblockplus.org

http://www.macworld.com/article/2861435/software-utilities/how-to-uninstall-mackeeper-from-your-mac.html

I am going to call apple store for the removal tool. At least it is not pooping up now. Thanks.

Edited on Jul 26, 2017 at 08:41 PM · View previous versions

Jul 26, 2017 at 08:36 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Annoying MacKeeper pop up

DanBrown wrote:
If you haven't already seen this, check out this recent article from MacWorld:

Page 2 has this and so far it is working.

https://adblockplus.org

Jul 26, 2017 at 08:37 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Annoying MacKeeper pop up

Just called my local apple store. They are aware of MacKeeper. Have an appointment tomorrow to remove it. Gonna watch as they do it on my Air and I'll do it at home for my iMac.

Thanks Dan and everyone else.

Jul 26, 2017 at 08:46 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Annoying MacKeeper pop up

I am surprised that 2 apple support tech's could not do something but the Apple Store can. Wonder what this will cost me. After the procedure I think I'lll call Apple support again and ask if they need any help.

Jul 26, 2017 at 09:01 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Annoying MacKeeper pop up

Zenon Char wrote:
I am surprised that 2 apple support tech's could not do something but the Apple Store can. Wonder what this will cost me. After the procedure I think I'lll call Apple support again and ask if they need any help.

Don't be surprised my friend! It happened to me also the first time MacKeeper appeared. The next time I went to my local Apple store. They were upfront and showed me all the steps to get rid of it(very few) and what malware this APPLE Store uses to detect and remove it.
Good luck! It's a real pain in the butt!
Dan

Jul 27, 2017 at 01:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Annoying MacKeeper pop up

Yes it is. Not popping up with AD Block but it still bugs me that it is there somewhere in my system. Thanks for your help.

Jul 27, 2017 at 04:34 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Annoying MacKeeper pop up

I removed Ad Blocker Plus from the laptop in preparation for my apple store appointment and within 10 seconds MacKeeper took over the page. We shall see.

Jul 27, 2017 at 07:13 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Annoying MacKeeper pop up

Well that was rather disappointing. I went there and opened Safari and sat for 10 minutes and it did not pop up. When the rep got there he said it is in my system but Apple's network I was on blocks it. My service provider does not block it. I guess that is the DSN server?

He said he has seen my case before and once in the system it is hard to find. Their engineers suggest at total drive wipe.

He checked HD Library - Launch Agents, Launch Daemons and Privileged Helper Tools and we deleted anything we did not recognize. He set my iPhone up as a hot spot so the comp was on my network. Nothing happened so he figured he solved it. I was doubtful and when I got home it came back.

I'm just going to use Ad Block for now. Maybe when I have the energy I'll do the wipe some day.

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:06 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Annoying MacKeeper pop up

I think you said that you installed MacKeeper only few days ago. If you use Time Machine, you could do a restore to time prior to the installation of MacKeeper. Prior to doing a restore, copy any needed documents that have changed over to another drive for safe keeping. You won't lose much with this approach.

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:31 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Annoying MacKeeper pop up

PM sent.....

Jul 28, 2017 at 03:20 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Annoying MacKeeper pop up

I will look into that.

Jul 28, 2017 at 03:21 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Annoying MacKeeper pop up

I got it!!!

From this website.

http://www.macworld.com ...keeper-from-your-mac.html

This is what happened. I went through all the steps several times. I missed it and both Apple support and the Apple Store missed it. Every time I opened Safari Preferences - Privacy - Manage Website Data it was blank but it did say Loading Website Data. I waited for about 10 - 20 seconds and nothing so I'd continue with the next steps.

I tried going through the steps on my laptop and the data came up quickly. I went back to my iMac and it took about 2 minutes to load. I wasn't waiting long enough as most of my trouble shooting was on the iMac.

I deleted all of them, cleared all the caches in both the system folders and Safari and cleared the browser history. It has been on yahoo as long as I have been writing this post and no pop up.

First 2 I found on my iMac. Last one on my laptop.

Jul 28, 2017 at 04:40 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Annoying MacKeeper pop up

Good Job!!!!

Jul 29, 2017 at 12:50 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Annoying MacKeeper pop up

Zenon Char wrote:
I got it!!!

From this website.

http://www.macworld.com ...keeper-from-your-mac.html

Isn't that the same link I provided early in the thread?

Jul 29, 2017 at 02:48 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Annoying MacKeeper pop up

Yes it is and I went through it several times days ago. 3 Apple techs missed it. Two while screen sharing and one with my laptop at the Apple store. I have been doing all my trouble shooting in my iMac which slower than my laptop.

For whatever reason yesterday I decided to do those steps on my laptop (SSD drive) and waited a little longer and the data appeared.

You would think the techs would have known this. When they opened that page and then moved on while screen sharing I assumed there was nothing there. It does say loading data but it took almost 2 minutes to load on iMac.

Jul 29, 2017 at 03:00 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password