Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Official drone DISCUSSION thread (not primarily for images)

wsalopek
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Official drone DISCUSSION thread (not primarily for images)

Welcome, you have found the official drone DISCUSSION thread.

To post drome IMAGES...please go here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1462449

--

Bill

Edited on Jul 27, 2017 at 10:05 PM · View previous versions

Jul 25, 2017 at 09:21 PM
tntcorp
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Official drone DISCUSSION thread (not primarily for images)

both links resulted in a window with the following message: " Sorry, you cannot edit a message."

Jul 25, 2017 at 09:56 PM
wsalopek
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Official drone DISCUSSION thread (not primarily for images)

Oh geez...lemme try to figure it out.

Thanks...

--

Bill

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:16 AM
wsalopek
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Official drone DISCUSSION thread (not primarily for images)

tntcorp wrote:
both links resulted in a window with the following message: " Sorry, you cannot edit a message."

OK...I think I fixed it....thanks for the heads up.

--

Bill

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:19 AM
tntcorp
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Official drone DISCUSSION thread (not primarily for images)

both links are now directed to the same thread, i.e. topic/1462449.

almost there... :')

Jul 27, 2017 at 09:47 PM
wsalopek
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Official drone DISCUSSION thread (not primarily for images)

Hey TNT,

Both links are actually supposed to point to the image thread...but I guess I wasn't smart enough to word the paragraphs cleary.

Trying again...

Stand by...

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:01 PM
wsalopek
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Official drone DISCUSSION thread (not primarily for images)

OK...try it again.

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:06 PM
tntcorp
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Official drone DISCUSSION thread (not primarily for images)

hopefully, there will be contributions on this thread to educate all uas operators on faa rules and regulations. :')

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:03 PM
wsalopek
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Official drone DISCUSSION thread (not primarily for images)

TNT...good idea...here's a couple links to start...it's all really fairly simple...it pretty much boils down to common sense:

FAA:

http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/

https://www.faa.gov/uas/

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:27 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Official drone DISCUSSION thread (not primarily for images)

@tntcorp posted to wrong thread even there were numerous links to correct thread everywhere. So I'll response to correct thread to move the off-topic discussion to correct thread.

tntcorp wrote:
love the night pano. however, it is under my impression the current reg. only permits drone operation w/in 30 minutes before sunrise and after sunset. feel free to correct me if have misinterpreted the reg.

USA is a big country, but I would not assume that everything happens there - thou every time seeing this I find it very cute that majority of Americans still do this.

I don't think they care much about USA FAA regulations in Trinidad & Tobago (panorama is from San Juan, Trinidad). If you study 2 minutes this topic, you can see that their regulations differ quite a from FAA, and concentrate very much to bureaucracy (registering, unregistering etc.) and banning lasers

https://www.airport-uav.com/drone-rules/legislation-central-america/regulations-trinidad-and-tobago/

Samuli

Jul 28, 2017 at 05:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

wsalopek
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Official drone DISCUSSION thread (not primarily for images)

Samuli,

Agreed.

The FAA's guidelines can only be used, well, as guidelines for those drone flyers not in the USA. The thread, of course, welcomes more perspective.

--

Bill

Jul 28, 2017 at 06:18 AM
tntcorp
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Official drone DISCUSSION thread (not primarily for images)

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
@tntcorp@ posted to wrong thread even there were numerous links to correct thread everywhere. So I'll response to correct thread to move the off-topic discussion to correct thread.

USA is a big country, but I would not assume that everything happens there - thou every time seeing this I find it very cute that majority of Americans still do this.

I don't think they care much about USA FAA regulations in Trinidad & Tobago (panorama is from San Juan, Trinidad). If you study 2 minutes this topic, you can see that their regulations differ quite a from FAA, and concentrate
...Show more

agreed... faa airworthiness authority is applicable only to usa airspace. and unless my assumption is incorrect, the majority of fm members are located in north america. common sense dictates when in rome do what the romans do... ;-)

until i am thoroughly familiar with the local airspace regs, i don't intend to fly in any other foreign airspace.

but i would be interested to learn of drone regs of other countries. is the 400 feet ceilings effective in your areas? are the regs less or more restrictive as compared to the faa reg.

Jul 31, 2017 at 06:23 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Official drone DISCUSSION thread (not primarily for images)

tntcorp wrote:
but i would be interested to learn of drone regs of other countries. is the 400 feet ceilings effective in your areas? are the regs less or more restrictive as compared to the faa reg.

Drones are new - legislation is slow = takes some years / decades for situation to stabilize. In Finland, and any country in EU (European Union), in addition to national laws also EU directives has to be incorporated to national legislation = double turbulent... maybe easier in countries whom need to only worry about national legislation.

Finland in short:
- need to identify owner (name and contact info) in drone
- have to maintain direct sight to drone 100% of flying time
- no flying over people
- flying in city/urban populated area (exact definition in regulation law text): maximum drone weight 3kg (=6.61387 pounds)
- respect privacy
- drone is responsible for avoiding other aircrafts
- maximum flying altitude 150m (=491.196 feet)
- no endanger/disturb emergency services helicopter (helipads for emergency helicopters are not yet considered airports)
- gigantic areas around airports called "aiport control zone", in which maximum flight altitude is 50m (=164.042 feet) - some airports have forbit all flying without asking permission in their control zone - also there are some special zones pilot needs to be aware in addition to these, and temporary limitations
- no fly closer than 5km (=3.10686 miles) airports, possible if you ask permission from air traffic control tower and they give permission
(for previous 2 points there is application in Android app store and Apple app store called "Droneinfo", which also makes it possible to report "I'm flying here", which purpose is not very clear for me... and website http://www.droneinfo.fi and there is also website to view special flying areas etc. https://trafi.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=08821b9e9ddd44e9964157efd9469b69)

These are rules for normal person flying for fun - for commercial flying rules are different, and there is for example responsibilities to keep and store archive fly logs for 3 years etc. Normal person needs to follow the tighter regulation if drone is used for "work", and "work" is not exactly defined - so for example if your neighbor is selling house and asks you to shoot her/his house, it's better to think twice and after thinking twice you most likely answer "no" - but if you have accidentally earlier shoot material of her/his house it might be OK to give it neighbour...

Samuli

Jul 31, 2017 at 07:47 PM
tntcorp
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Official drone DISCUSSION thread (not primarily for images)

samuli - interesting, much more lax uas regulations in Europe and slow adoptions of regulation.

imho, i foresee a big security concern with recreational drones if legislations aren't on the fast track to regulate drone operations.

Jul 31, 2017 at 08:38 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Official drone DISCUSSION thread (not primarily for images)

tntcorp wrote:
samuli - interesting, much more lax uas regulations in Europe and slow adoptions of regulation.

I have not studied but it has been said in news that Finland has most freedom what comes to drones in Europe => when the European directive comes it will make our law in Finland more tight in some areas. Other countries have for example ban drones completely (and then after some months allowed them again): link.

tntcorp wrote:
imho, i foresee a big security concern with recreational drones if legislations aren't on the fast track to regulate drone operations.

Well, adding artificial limitation to people obeying the laws generally does not prevent anything bad from happening - most civilized countries already have laws, which guarantee (if law is not broken) that drones will not cause security issues. This is little bit similar as reducing speed limits in order to reduce deaths in roads in situation when 98% deaths on the road involve: alcohol, drugs, mental issues or/and gigantic overspeed. Or similar to guns - other believe it's safer that normal citizens don't have guns, while other believe that it's safer when normal citizens have guns - huge difference in belief which one is better (I have lived in USA few years, and shorter times on few other countries - there are gigantic differences how people believe this topic).

I personally don't see it making world safer to limit for example 50km x 100km area around airport (31 miles x 62 miles) maximum flight altitude limited, when at same time any idiot who doesn't even know that there is law about drones (or just doesn't care) can buy drone and fly over airport fence to take close-ups of planes taking off... These a##holes are the problem, not the 99% of law respecting drone pilots. The law respecting pilots will suffer from artificially tight laws, which actually have no improvement security.

Samuli

Jul 31, 2017 at 09:35 PM
ebookman
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Official drone DISCUSSION thread (not primarily for images)

I know nothing about drones but I have viewed a lot o Youtube videos. I still do not have a clear understanding of how you use a drone for still pictures. Are the still pictures just individual video frames or is there some other better way to capture still images?

Aug 11, 2017 at 12:28 AM
Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Official drone DISCUSSION thread (not primarily for images)

ebookman wrote:
I know nothing about drones but I have viewed a lot o Youtube videos. I still do not have a clear understanding of how you use a drone for still pictures. Are the still pictures just individual video frames or is there some other better way to capture still images?

Dale, I can't give answer, which applies to all drones in the world as I have only shoot with Yuneec Q500 4K and DJI Phantom 4 Pro (in addition I have followed enough internet discussions and videos that I know DJI Mavic Pro). For mentioned drones while flying you select a mode "video" or "photo", and based on mode screen changes little bit e.g. video is shoot 16:9 but sensor actually is 3:2 (DJI Phantom 4 Pro) or 4:3 (Yuneec Q500 4K), and with DJI Mavic Pro it's possible to turn camera 90 degrees for vertical shots.

When in photo mode, one just "parks" drone on wanted location and then adjusts exposure, and then take the shot. There is of course modes similar to "A" and "P" and "M" - I'm always in "M"-mode like I'm with real cameras --- one weird thing: only the most expensive drones have adjustable aperture, e.g. mentioned Yuneec, DJI Mavic Pro and 99% of drones have only one aperture, only once with adjusting aperture are DJI Mavic 4 Pro and professional models which either cost 5-10k with inbuild camera or 10-50k carrying real camera e.g. GH4, A7, 5Dmk#... Additionally some drones have also modes for bracketing, which is very useful as ~75% of my images shoot from air are HDR.

Also it's possible to shoot photo while taking video, but that doesn't make any sense - it would add stupid stop of drone to video (or you can be real idiot and take the photo while moving and composition is crappy and drone is moving = motion blur, as for smooth video you need to be shutter speed <2x of frame speed = for 30fps, you want to shoot 1/60s or 1/50s for smoot movement). I can't see why anyone would do that. Also most of the drones take the photo from video frame, and for example RAW-shooting is not possible. And even if RAW-image would be possible you would be in 16:9 framing mode and most likely you want your photo in full sensor capture.

I first tried to shoot videos with drones, but it requires a lot of skill to produce smooth movements etc. I had no previous experience (for 25+ years, for sure I had radio controlled things when I was child/teen) of this kind of stuff, and it takes time to master. Therefore I decided to concentrate to photos this year, as it's much easier to "park" drone in air and adjust everything and take the photo, instead of planning how to fly and then execute the plan flawlessly. The golden light only exist for some tens of minutes in morning, and shooting videos eats all that time easily and I want to shoot also traditional photos during that time so I prefer just to shoot still. Another thing is that, if you want professional results you need to edit the videos - that takes lots of time as well = one more reason for me to concentrate to photos only. Hard to explain, but if you look the videos on my channel https://www.youtube.com/user/vahonen after reading this and concentrate to camera movements etc. it's easy to see that I'm no professional drone pilot (and naturally I tried to show the best clips and removed the crappy clips).

For still images I can only recommend DJI Phantom 4 Pro. It has same sensor as Sony RX100 series cameras, and adjustable aperture. All cheaper drones have very small sensor size and fixed aperture. If you want "hiking drone", then you either have to have dedicated backbag for Phantom 4 (LowePro has one very good, I can fit also 2x A7 there) or select DJI Mavic Pro (size of 70-200/2.8 lens + controller size of small point and shoot camera) or DJI Spark (very small and stills are SUPPOSED to be similar level as DJI Mavic Pro, but I have no personal experience). I have compared DJI Phantom 4 Pro & DJI Mavic Pro photos and I didn't like DJI Mavic Pro photos, they don't have the same quality, they are level of good phone or cheapest point&shoots, but many phones take better photos from image quality perspective.

Only thing I hate in DJI Phantom 4 Pro for photography is the wide lens; in Southern Finland the 24mm is way too wide - in every photo I will pick up some human build crap e.g. mobile masts and it's just not possible to capture pure nature. If you go to real wilderness where you have nothing human build crap around for 20-30 km/miles then the wide lens is nice. Also if you have mountains etc. height differences 24mm equivalent might be OK, but southern Finland is so flat that highest hills are few hundred meters. For photography 35mm equivalent would be gigantic improvement and 50mm equivalent a dream lens.

Samuli

Aug 11, 2017 at 05:31 AM
ebookman
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Official drone DISCUSSION thread (not primarily for images)

Samuli - Thanks, very helpful.

Aug 11, 2017 at 05:58 PM
dalite
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Official drone DISCUSSION thread (not primarily for images)

As drones become more ubiquitous some drone operators are likely to fly their toys in air spaces that could pose hazards of sort. Latest news is that the French have trained a few golden eagles to take down drones that fly in restricted zones or over sensitive government buildings. The eagles were rescued from abandoned hatchlings and raised in captivity.

In the US, think about flying a drone over the White House or Capitol. In California don't fly your drone to cover wildfires; they would pose a hazard to air tankers and spotting planes.

Aug 16, 2017 at 04:43 AM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Official drone DISCUSSION thread (not primarily for images)

I use AirMap to avoid no-fly zones.
It seems more complete than the built in map in the DJI Mavic Pro.

K-H.

Aug 19, 2017 at 01:44 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password