Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · PC, Mac & NAS - How to edit in LR?

IrishDino
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · PC, Mac & NAS - How to edit in LR?

I mostly edit in LR off a NAS and a Windows workstation.

But I also want to be able to edit off my rMBP while away from my office.

I assume I need to do whatever editing outsourcing companies do. But I don't know what that is.

SmartPreviews?

Jul 25, 2017 at 01:22 PM
Go4Long
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · PC, Mac & NAS - How to edit in LR?

I'm not sure if the PC and mac lightroom catalogs are the same or not to be honest, although I'd assume you would know that already.

I use dropbox for the Catologue file personally.

My Drobo stays at home attached to my iMac, I travel with the MBP. Before I leave I make sure that everything is up to date and I've exited Lightroom on the iMac. I import to the laptop and render smart previews. When I return home I plug the Drobo in to my MBP and transfer the files in the lightroom catalogue over, shut down lightroom on the MBP, wait for it to finish updating dropbox, then plug the Drobo back in to the imac and continue editing.

It sounds more complicated than it is, but this way I am working on the same catalogue all the time on two different machines...my only limiting factor is the space on my MBP harddrive. On my trip to europe this month I was down to 20 gigs free.

Jul 25, 2017 at 01:57 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · PC, Mac & NAS - How to edit in LR?

Go4Long wrote:
I'm not sure if the PC and mac lightroom catalogs are the same or not to be honest, although I'd assume you would know that already.

they are . I copy my LRCat file from machine to machine a lot and its not bothered if its a mac or PC . nor is the smart preview file or the standard preview file .
LR needs these 3 files (or just the 2 if you not using smart previews) to run , they have to be in the same location and NOT on a network drive (Although a work around is possible for that) . but LR will generate new preview (and smart) files if they are not present when LR opens

I use dropbox for the Catologue file personally.
Dropbox or other cloud service is a good option if you have enough space (which usually means paying for it) as long as it syncs your files on all machines . Personally I usually just drop my Cat file and smart previews onto a memory stick and run them from that stick on my laptop . as long as you have a decently fast USB3 stick (on a good usb3 port) there is little noticeable speed loss . when I'm back at my main machine I'll just copy the cat file back onto it (overwriting the older cat file ) ad I'm good to go .

My Drobo stays at home attached to my iMac, I travel with the MBP. Before I leave I make sure that everything is up to date and I've exited Lightroom on the iMac. I import to the laptop and render smart previews. When I return home I plug the Drobo in to my MBP and transfer the files in the lightroom catalogue over, shut down lightroom on the MBP, wait for it to finish updating dropbox, then plug the Drobo back in to the imac and continue editing.

It sounds more complicated than it is, but this way I am working on
...Show more

much the same although like I say I just copy my cat file back .
The reason I don't use Dropbox type things is Im not always able to get good wifi to sync things up and dumping the files onto a stick is quicker Im also a tight @rse and don't want to pay dropbox for the extra space id need . I do have amazon drive but I don't want files syncing to and from that all the time as its been a pain like that > i just use it as my 2nd backup that I can also access files from if I'm away from home .

Ive not had a play with it yet but Ive seen a few videos on LIGHTROOM WEB . and as a CC user it appears I have access to stuff I would have synced to lightroom mobile thru a web page and can edit and do other stuff direct on the web page . Like I say I've not played with it yet but it looks interesting

Jul 25, 2017 at 03:09 PM
Go4Long
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · PC, Mac & NAS - How to edit in LR?

The dropbox (and by relation wifi) is only really necessary when switching between computers since otherwise it's just a normal folder on your computer. I actually turn the syncing off when I'm out and about since it eats up bandwidth. Or if I'm in a normal hotel with good wifi I'll turn the sync back on when I go to sleep for the night.

I pay for dropbox anyway since I use it for several other things.

The only downside is if you don't remember to turn off the other computer's lightroom and let them finish syncing you end up with conflicting copies and it takes a few minutes to clean it up.

Jul 25, 2017 at 03:15 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.