New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Focus, resolution and magnification

HarvM

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Focus, resolution and magnification

At what magnification (using Aperture by Apple) do I evaluate the focus of my images? I guess I'm asking at what point (magnification) am I pushing the focus/resolution too far? How do I know if any softness is due to focus, resolution or blowing the image up too much.

I'm using a Sigma 150-600 on a Nikon D600. Thanks for any insights. Harv Meyers

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:05 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Focus, resolution and magnification

Not sure if I completely understand your question, but most people check focus at 100% (pixel level). Keep in mind that is like looking at a 3-4 foot print from a few inches away, so there is some wiggle room there depending on how you intend to use the final image. For example, if you delete an image that is slightly OOF that you were just going to share on Facebook, nobody would have ever noticed anyway. If you zoom in past 100%, you will see the image start to degrade as the pixels get too large for any reasonable viewing, and that does not represent any normal scenario.

Everyone has different tolerances for what is "in focus". You get used to it over time and you can tell in a split second "yes" or "no" for any given lens.

Post some samples if you want at 100% and we can help you get a baseline to compare to.

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:11 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.