New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · Sony 12-24 Nisi 150mm Filter Holder

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sony 12-24 Nisi 150mm Filter Holder

I've just tried Stephen's suggestion and it works quite well. I used an UV filter since I didn't have any 77mm NDs at hand. I'm not sure about CPL but it's certainly possible.

There is no vignetting at 14mm but you have to push the 77mm filter down too much inside the hood and there is a risk of touching the 12-24/4's front element.

I found that from 15-24mm it's pretty much risk free and there is no vignetting. At both focal lengths, the front element is positioned at about the same height and it actually contracts between 15mm and 24mm so it's safe. However, at 12mm, the front element is at its longest extension and should be avoided depending on how deep you placed the 77mm filter. If you are not careful, from 12-14mm, the front element may touch the 77mm filter. So be warned.

If you want to try this, proceed with care and zoom in and out very slowly. It's a great alternative to big 150mm filters if used with caution.

Here are some pictures of the set-up (iPhone)

PS: I didn't have felt tape, so I used 3 strips of adhesive flocking material and it was the perfect thickness for my 77mm filter. This was just a test. When done properly, the flocking material has to extend to the entire periphery of the filter to avoid any light leak.

Aug 06, 2017 at 01:34 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sony 12-24 Nisi 150mm Filter Holder

Pretty cool

Aug 06, 2017 at 02:20 PM
Parariss
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sony 12-24 Nisi 150mm Filter Holder

Seems like at some me point one of the accessory companies will give us a purpose built holder that grips the front flanges.

Aug 06, 2017 at 02:38 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sony 12-24 Nisi 150mm Filter Holder

Parariss wrote:
Seems like at some me point one of the accessory companies will give us a purpose built holder that grips the front flanges.

I don't see that happening because of liability. To avoid vignetting at wider FLs the filter must be pushed down and if photographers are not careful and zoom out to 12mm there is risk of damaging the front element.

Aug 06, 2017 at 03:00 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sony 12-24 Nisi 150mm Filter Holder

Fred Miranda wrote:
I don't see that happening because of liability. To avoid vignetting at wider FLs the filter must be pushed down and if photographers are not careful and zoom out to 12mm there is risk of damaging the front element.

There would still be some vignetting, but plausible solution

http://gear.benjacobsenphoto.com/2010/gear/filters-for-lenses-that-cant-take-filters/

Ben used the trick with the Nikon 14-24 or sigma 12-24, both with built in hoods.

95mm ring would be big enough

Aug 06, 2017 at 07:14 PM
stephenmotero

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sony 12-24 Nisi 150mm Filter Holder

Fred, thanks for the warm welcome.

I had a bad bicycle accident so that has allowed me to work on weird things like this while I'm out of commission for a little while. Anyway, excuse the quality of the photos since I simply can't get up to use a real camera so these are from an iPad but you'll get the idea. The felt is wide enough to cover the threads which keeps the filter from going too deep in the hood.
Here are the pics:
http://www.stephenotero.com/Other/n-wqxb5/Sony-12-24mm-lens-filter-modification-using-77mm-filter/

Aug 07, 2017 at 12:28 PM
stephenmotero

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sony 12-24 Nisi 150mm Filter Holder

Fred, I found that I needed to put the felt on the sides where the hood recesses to block any light leaks. Especially using an ND filter, the light will tend to leak in there over a longer exposure. Having the felt extend to at least the thickness of the filter threads and perhaps 1-2mm more will keep any light coming in and allow you to get to the 14mm focal length. In my few trials, the felt has to completely cover the side cutouts of the hood or it won't work.
If using a UV filter, then this obviously won't be so crucial.

Aug 07, 2017 at 03:53 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sony 12-24 Nisi 150mm Filter Holder

stephenmotero wrote:
Fred, thanks for the warm welcome.

I had a bad bicycle accident so that has allowed me to work on weird things like this while I'm out of commission for a little while. Anyway, excuse the quality of the photos since I simply can't get up to use a real camera so these are from an iPad but you'll get the idea. The felt is wide enough to cover the threads which keeps the filter from going too deep in the hood.
Here are the pics:
http://www.stephenotero.com/Other/n-wqxb5/Sony-12-24mm-lens-filter-modification-using-77mm-filter/

I'm wondering if someone can make a silicon bushing that presses up against the lens, and pre made to accept a 77mm filter pushed on. That would be a very handy solution to cut any risk of scratching the lens, while still convenient on the field. either way, I'm impressed with the 77mm idea, maybe a thinner livestrong band? Or maybe something that can be cut from a 3D printer that can be shoved all the way against the lens with sufficient spacing, and threading for a 77mm? That way, the 77 can simply be moved in and out without much hassle as a solid piece? Stop tabs at the four corners of the pedals could be another idea.

Aug 07, 2017 at 05:46 PM
TakenWild
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sony 12-24 Nisi 150mm Filter Holder

This is a great. I love it when photographers get inventive!

You could always tape up the zoom ring if you wanted it to be safe. Just to stop any accidents. Use it like a prime. Then zoom it then lock it in.

Aug 07, 2017 at 06:28 PM
Lindrelt

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sony 12-24 Nisi 150mm Filter Holder

I received my Nisi 150 holder for the 12-24 and am very please with the construction and fit. No vignetting at 12mm even with both filter slots occupied. My Formatt Hitech filters slide in with just the right resistance and (so far) don't want to slide out!

Since the other half of my landscape kit is a 24-70 GM I was interested in the previous mention that this holder would work on that lens also. It does with a tighter fit than the 12-24, but definitely stays on well! Here are some shots showing the alignment pins resting at the front of the lens. And since the part the holder fits on moves out with zooming it just goes for the ride. At 24mm there is still access to the ring right behind it.

I'm pleased that I may have a solution for shared filters on both lenses which somewhat offsets the cost and size of a 150 square setup. Just need to go out in the field now -- two weeks and its Mt Rainier NP!

Tight but it fits and stays on!

Still room to get on ring at 24mm...

And at 70mm the holder rides out with the front element...

Aug 13, 2017 at 04:19 PM
Neurad1
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sony 12-24 Nisi 150mm Filter Holder

Where are y'all buying the Nisi Filter Holder? I am not entirely comfortable with Ebay. You can get it through Amazon....Do you have to pay some sort of taxes or import duties when it is sent from China? I just want to be clear on what the "final cost" will be if I order it from Amazon....

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:50 PM
nampramos
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sony 12-24 Nisi 150mm Filter Holder

Anyone with a polariser that goes in front of this holder and with samples between 12-20mm?

Thanks!

Aug 19, 2017 at 07:58 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sony 12-24 Nisi 150mm Filter Holder

I have the full kit guys on the buy and sell board. Holder Haida CPL and Haida ND 6 stop. All works really nice. I have some tests shots in the 12-24 threads. I'm still debating selling it but I would like the new VC 65 so need to raise money for it. I'm not shooting much landscape these days so I could give this up

Amazon it was 170 for the holder I got it within a week from China through Amazon. So that worked out very well. I actually bought my Haida filters from Amazon as well. No issues

Aug 19, 2017 at 08:05 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sony 12-24 Nisi 150mm Filter Holder

Really are no issues with the Haida CPL and holder you can go 12-24 with no issues at all. I would think any CPL will do the same . I like Haida since they are very neutral which I also tested in the 12-24 threads.

Since I'm the yard man around here I'm off for a day of hell cleaning up this yard. I want a condo.

Send water. Lol
nampramos wrote:
Anyone with a polariser that goes in front of this holder and with samples between 12-20mm?

Thanks!

Aug 19, 2017 at 08:08 AM
seanj
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Sony 12-24 Nisi 150mm Filter Holder

I have the Nisi 150 filter holder and a Haida 10 stop ND filter i purchased for a hiking trip in Canada. I have not used either other than to place on my lens to check fit. Then I discovered the Smooth Reflections App and purchased it the day before my trip. For what I do, the app serves my needs. I went hiking and left the Nisi stuff at home. Both items could probably be returned to China, but I'd have to check both Ebay sellers . . . and that seems like a hassle. I'll probably put them on Craigslist at some point when I have time. I suck.

Aug 19, 2017 at 09:03 AM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Sony 12-24 Nisi 150mm Filter Holder

Neurad1 wrote:
Where are y'all buying the Nisi Filter Holder? I am not entirely comfortable with Ebay. You can get it through Amazon....Do you have to pay some sort of taxes or import duties when it is sent from China? I just want to be clear on what the "final cost" will be if I order it from Amazon....

I bought mine off the Bay new from Helusi store for $136--it was on special. You may want to buy Guy's set that he is selling here. I am sure it is basically mint.

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:25 AM
Chuck Coyne
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Sony 12-24 Nisi 150mm Filter Holder

Lindrelt wrote:
I received my Nisi 150 holder for the 12-24 and am very please with the construction and fit. No vignetting at 12mm even with both filter slots occupied. My Formatt Hitech filters slide in with just the right resistance and (so far) don't want to slide out!

Since the other half of my landscape kit is a 24-70 GM I was interested in the previous mention that this holder would work on that lens also. It does with a tighter fit than the 12-24, but definitely stays on well! Here are some shots showing the alignment pins resting at the front
...Show more

I love the fact that this Nisi holder fits both my 12-24 G and 24-70 GM. Only wished it could fit the 16-35 GM that would be tremendous but no such luck. Maybe an adapter for the holder to fit the 16-35 GM will come out.

Chuck

Aug 19, 2017 at 02:27 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.