New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · D850 Pre order, or : a tale of clickbait and hysteria

Paul_K
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D850 Pre order, or : a tale of clickbait and hysteria

One of the the major camera retailers in the Netherlands, Kamera Express, today sent an email on the occasion of Nikon's 100th anniversary

In it they claim amongst others that Nikon has officially announced the D850 (being an NPS member myself I have the experience NPS members get that kind of info hot of the needle, and I didn't see any such announcement from that side. DP review only had an item about Nikon announcing the development of the D850)

Part of the mail is a link to their preorder form for the D850, asking for an advance of Eur 250

On closer inspection they have nothing to inform about :
https://www.kamera-express.nl/product/12231139/nikon-d850-body-pre-order/

Belangrijkste kenmerken van de Nikon D850 body:

* Krachtige FX-formaat spiegelreflexcamera (powerful FX camera)
* Uitzonderlijke beeldkwaliteit en snelheid (exceptional image quality an speed)
* 8K timelapsefunctie
* Perfect voor het vastleggen van landschappen, sport, mode en bruiloften (perfect for landscapes,
sports, fashion an weddings)
* Ook uitermate geschikt voor het maken van multimedia-uitingen (also very much fit for 'multi media
expressions )
* Kleur: zwart

Do they really believe someone is going to preorder based on that ?

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:01 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D850 Pre order, or : a tale of clickbait and hysteria

Ha ha ha. If people want to hand over their money why not I guess? There are always waits for a new camera.

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:14 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D850 Pre order, or : a tale of clickbait and hysteria

People preorder on far less Nikon has confirmed it's coming, and many of the specs are all but guaranteed, so I don't think it's unusual to be taking preorders especially when there is no risk (I assume the deposit is refundable). Any time a new camera is announced there are thousands of preorders before any reviews come out.

People spend hundreds of thousands (or millions) on cars without even being able to test drive them first, a camera doesn't seem too crazy

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:22 AM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D850 Pre order, or : a tale of clickbait and hysteria

If you want to be the first in the Netherlands, just pay the €250
BTW it's the first time I see this. It's a reputable retailer with a lot of shops, but the competition is high at the moment.
It's only 1-2 years ago they started asking money for preordering.

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:33 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D850 Pre order, or : a tale of clickbait and hysteria

CanadaMark wrote:
People preorder on far less Nikon has confirmed it's coming, and many of the specs are all but guaranteed, so I don't think it's unusual to be taking preorders especially when there is no risk (I assume the deposit is refundable). Any time a new camera is announced there are thousands of preorders before any reviews come out.

People spend hundreds of thousands (or millions) on cars without even being able to test drive them first, a camera doesn't seem too crazy

Exactly.

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:47 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D850 Pre order, or : a tale of clickbait and hysteria

Chris Dees wrote:
If you want to be the first in the Netherlands, just pay the €250
BTW it's the first time I see this. It's a reputable retailer with a lot of shops, but the competition is high at the moment.
It's only 1-2 years ago they started asking money for preordering.

Oh well, if they are asking folks to cough up a fee right now for the privilege of getting a spot win line.....NOPE!

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:49 AM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D850 Pre order, or : a tale of clickbait and hysteria

As much as I'm interested in this camera, no way I'd buy one from the first run.

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:03 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D850 Pre order, or : a tale of clickbait and hysteria

History says it stupid to pre-order given all the issues with previous cameras on release.

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:13 AM
cvrle59
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D850 Pre order, or : a tale of clickbait and hysteria

chez wrote:
History says it stupid to pre-order given all the issues with previous cameras on release.

I just want to prove you wrong here, sorry.

I pre-ordered a D800 back then, and I made $350 Can, two days later, as I figured out it was too much of the camera for me at that time (probably, still is - it still produces fantastic images).

Some pro journalist wanted it badly, and that model was hot, hot at the moment.

I can't forget receiving 10+ e-mails in first 5 min when I enabled my ad..

I continued to use my D700.

How do we know, it won't be similar again, with D850?

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:09 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D850 Pre order, or : a tale of clickbait and hysteria

Note that Nikon's last 7 DSLR releases have had no meaningful issues. As far as I know, the D5, D500, D7500, D7200, D5600, and D5500 all came out without problems. The latest camera issue Nikon's had was with the D750, released in mid-2014.

So while I do agree that it's probably best to not pre-order, I'd say that for any camera. It seems like Nikon's no more risky than any other manufacturer right now (perhaps even safer - Nikon learned some expensive lessons that they'll want to avoid repeating).

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:30 PM
cvrle59
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D850 Pre order, or : a tale of clickbait and hysteria

People drive millions of cars out there with recalls, and some of those are related to the safety components.

I wouldn't like this to happen to me, but so what if it does, as long as Nikon is willing to fix it.

I would have problem if they don't!

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:36 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D850 Pre order, or : a tale of clickbait and hysteria

Lauchlan Toal wrote:
Note that Nikon's last 7 DSLR releases have had no meaningful issues. As far as I know, the D5, D500, D7500, D7200, D5600, and D5500 all came out without problems. The latest camera issue Nikon's had was with the D750, released in mid-2014.

So while I do agree that it's probably best to not pre-order, I'd say that for any camera. It seems like Nikon's no more risky than any other manufacturer right now (perhaps even safer - Nikon learned some expensive lessons that they'll want to avoid repeating).

In addition to that, the D750 "issues" were very minor, so much so that I doubt most people even bothered to send them in and risk shipping damage. One of the "issues" wasn't even discovered by the internet until Nikon told us about it haha. On top of that, independent professional sources have found other cameras exhibit the same issues *worse* without even an acknowledgement or service bulletin. So yes it technically had issues, but Nikon was (and probably still is) in hypersensitive service advisory mode compared to most other brands who stay quiet and just let the warranty system do it's job. The D600 was really the last DSLR Nikon released with any meaningful issues, especially when comparing to the competition and what normally gets swept under the rug.

I've bought 4 or 5 Nikons now pretty much on release day, including the D600, and never had any issues with any of them.

Manufacturers have 2 choices, since you will never make a flawless mass produced product of this complexity (just look at the auto industry for another example):

1) Issue a service advisory for every little thing, even if it affects only a tiny subset of users under very specific circumstances. This gives the perception of a higher number of issues, but gives the customer the greatest post-purchase security.

2) Ignore everything and let the warranty department deal with it. If it becomes such a large issue that it is impossible to ignore, or lawyers get involved, then issue a service advisory.

Pre-2012, Nikon used strategy #2, post 2012 Nikon switched to #1. It's a lose-lose scenario for every manufacturer because the customer will always view it in a negative light. Most other companies use strategy #2.

Given the build tolerances, scales of production, multiple parts sources, and everything else, it's really quite amazing that most DSLRs from all brands stay operating as well as they do for so many years.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:51 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D850 Pre order, or : a tale of clickbait and hysteria

History says that thousands of people have pre-ordered many different brands of cameras and had nary a problem.
And most of them that had problems had them fixed under warranty, and lived happily ever-after.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:57 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D850 Pre order, or : a tale of clickbait and hysteria

Well if it wasn't for the pre-orders standing in line waiting for the doors to be open...who else would do the testing on these cameras. I thank you for that.

Jul 25, 2017 at 01:35 PM
Dj R
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D850 Pre order, or : a tale of clickbait and hysteria

anyone old enough here to remember waiting in line to buy stuff, like concert tickets?
some folks even camping out!

now everything is online.
however, apple. they had long lines of iSheep, when iphones were released up until a year or two ago.

Jul 25, 2017 at 01:59 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D850 Pre order, or : a tale of clickbait and hysteria

Dj R wrote:
anyone old enough here to remember waiting in line to buy stuff, like concert tickets?
some folks even camping out!

now everything is online.
however, apple. they had long lines of iSheep, when iphones were released up until a year or two ago.

Technology just made waiting in line easier by using pre-orders...but the sheep mentality is still there.

Jul 25, 2017 at 02:17 PM
patonima

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D850 Pre order, or : a tale of clickbait and hysteria

Wow and it's pre-ordering without even knowing the actual price of the D850? what if it's a $7000+ camera? I wish it would have been a good mirrorless camera accepting all Nikon mounts... Priced right, that would be the only good option to me. Nevertheless I don't see who except a wealthy hobbyist would pre-order it.

Jul 25, 2017 at 02:33 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D850 Pre order, or : a tale of clickbait and hysteria

patonima wrote:
Wow and it's pre-ordering without even knowing the actual price of the D850? what if it's a $7000+ camera? I wish it would have been a good mirrorless camera accepting all Nikon mounts... Priced right, that would be the only good option to me. Nevertheless I don't see who except a wealthy hobbyist would pre-order it.

I doubt there is an obligation to purchase with a pre-order. Tons of people preorder cameras, it's really quite common. Some places ask for a deposit, some don't. A lot of the time it's just a waiting list (that's how it is for me locally).

Also, we pretty much know the price will be somewhere between $3000-4000, it won't cost anywhere near $7000. It's a very safe bet that they aren't going to double the price of the previous model and the nearest competition, and price it above the D5.

Jul 25, 2017 at 02:59 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D850 Pre order, or : a tale of clickbait and hysteria

Imagemaster wrote:
History says that thousands of people have pre-ordered many different brands of cameras and had nary a problem.
And most of them that had problems had them fixed under warranty, and lived happily ever-after.

Me thinks quite a few D600 owners would disagree. Rather than implementing a mass-recall/exchange program, Nikon "fixed" the D600's problems with the early release the D610. Not one of Nikon's most illustrious moments.

Jul 25, 2017 at 04:05 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D850 Pre order, or : a tale of clickbait and hysteria

Full D850 specs at B&H....... https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1351688-REG/nikon_d850_dslr_camera_body.html

Jul 25, 2017 at 04:26 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.