Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

molson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

gregfountain wrote:
Are you sure it wasn't the Chinese knock-off that wasn't manufactured to the Arca-Swiss standard? I would be more inclined to believe it was more of an issue of sample variation due to really poor quality control.

I've tried a couple of different Chinese L-brackets for my Fuji cameras - iShoot and Sunwayfoto. Both had the same fitment issues with the RRS lever clamp - it always felt like something was going to break every time I tried to close the clamp. If you use the more traditional screw-type Arca-Swiss clamps, it isn't a problem.

Sep 25, 2017 at 04:00 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

molson wrote:
I've tried a couple of different Chinese L-brackets for my Fuji cameras - iShoot and Sunwayfoto. Both had the same fitment issues with the RRS lever clamp - it always felt like something was going to break every time I tried to close the clamp. If you use the more traditional screw-type Arca-Swiss clamps, it isn't a problem.

I've had the same issue with a couple of knock-off lens foot-plates, where they were too narrow and I had to add gaffers tape to the dovetails to make the RRS clamp hold them tight. So i don't know if it's a RRS issue or a knock-off issue...just prefer to think that RRS is more exacting. In any case, I'd rather not risk having my camera and lens hit the ground, so I spend extra for assurance...

Sep 25, 2017 at 04:17 PM
lsquare
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

Steezus wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XDJ6HCY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I looked at it a bit more and the second hole wouldn't work to back the side bracket away from the body since it is not recessed. So shooting vertical with chords attached wouldn't work unless you counter sunk the hole for that screw or had 90 degree angle connector.

So ultimately the plate is worth the money? Can you think of another way to shoot vertical with a wired remote attached?

Sep 26, 2017 at 05:15 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

molson wrote:

How do you know for sure the traditional screw clamps aren't an issue? I always thought the lever clamp was better at adjusting to the different plates that adhere to the Arca-Swiss standard?

Do you have any experience with RRS' screw clamps? I actually prefer screw clamps and I'm thinking of buying one with the BH-40 ballhead. FYI, I currently have the earlier generation BH-40 with the lever clamp.

Sep 26, 2017 at 06:26 AM
jrscls
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

I use a Markins ballhead with a screw clamp and have never had any issues with any plates claiming to be arca swiss compatible.

Sep 26, 2017 at 11:22 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

lsquare wrote:
How do you know for sure the traditional screw clamps aren't an issue? I always thought the lever clamp was better at adjusting to the different plates that adhere to the Arca-Swiss standard?

Do you have any experience with RRS' screw clamps? I actually prefer screw clamps and I'm thinking of buying one with the BH-40 ballhead. FYI, I currently have the earlier generation BH-40 with the lever clamp.

The screw clamps are adjustable (obviously) while the RRS lever clamps are not,

Sep 26, 2017 at 03:21 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

lsquare wrote:
So ultimately the plate is worth the money? Can you think of another way to shoot vertical with a wired remote attached?

I know that you can use the smartphone app to trigger the shutter.

Is there a wireless Fujifilm remote? (I have not checked.)

As to whether the RRS (or alternative) L-plates are worth the money, that is, in my view, complicated. The base bracket is worth it, in my view it is well designed, light, secure, and barely makes the camera package larger. The L-bracket attachment is also small and light and solid, but you have to figure out how you will deal with the interference with the remote release cable. As I see it, options include:

1. Just use the base plate and drop the ball 90 degrees to move the camera into the vertical position don't get the L-bracket attachment.

2. Use the L-bracket attachment with the remote release, but when in vertical position slide the bracket halfway out of the clamp so the cable clears. (This is what I've been doing, and it works OK but it doesn't inspire confidence.)

3. Use a smartphone with the Fujifilm wireless app to trigger the shutter.

4. (Is this available?) If Fujifilm has a wireless remote, use that instead of the wired remote.

5. Look for some kind of very small angle adapter for the remote cable plug. I've heard of such things, but I could not locate one.

Dan

Sep 26, 2017 at 04:14 PM
Steezus
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

lsquare wrote:

Yeah, I am really happy with this purchase. I saved a load of money.

To shoot vertical with cables you can simply loosen the vertical plate screw and then twist it away from the body until your cable has enough clearance. It won't work if a nodal point is crucial for your work, but that isn't something that is important to me.

You could also just counter sink that hole to accommodate a longer screw. I would probably do that if I shot a lot of vertical panos.

Sep 27, 2017 at 03:16 PM
jrscls
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

I decided on this one from Amazon. Worth a try at that price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XDJ6HCY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sep 29, 2017 at 01:48 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

I'm thinking about getting the grip for the X-E3. I'm not so much interested in the grip part, but the base plate is Arca compatible. I have a compatible ball head, looks like it would be just the ticket. It's not an L plate, but that would be silly on a X-E3.

Sep 29, 2017 at 01:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

wsheldon
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

ediblestarfish wrote:
Well, I got a used RRS plate just for the the bottom, and it has a notch for a strap attachment point on the low right hand grip side which I like to use to carry the camera lens-down style. Haven't seen that in other plates.

I bought the convertible L-bracket set, but I generally just use the base plate the exact same way with a Peak Designs anchor connected to the strap boss. The bracket mates beautifully with the X-T2, covering the entire bottom unlike the Kirk and some knock-off plates, and adds a useful 3/8" of height and almost no weight, which improves my grip. I keep the hex key in it's hidden compartment and put the L-piece in my bag so I can switch to full L-bracket when needed. Awesome and flexible solution.

I think the base BXT2 plate is wonderfully designed and finished, and fairly priced at $80 (http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/X-T2-Plates) . My chief complaint is that they charge **$100** extra for just the little L-bracket portion for the occasion I need to shoot vertically on a tripod. THAT is the real rip-off. Almost sent the whole thing back to buy a Kirk, but the fact it only covers half the width of the bottom turned me off, since I want to leave it on all the time. First world problem to be sure, but I think the L-bracket portion is only worth $40 or so, since it's smaller and far less complex to mill than the base bracket, which is highly engineered. But I bought it anyway with teeth clenched.

Sep 29, 2017 at 04:40 PM
jrscls
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

^ The one I bought on Amazon covers the entire base of the camera as described above and has a removable L plate. RRS makes great brackets, but the price difference is just too great to justify for me.

Sep 29, 2017 at 09:47 PM
Steezus
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

jrscls wrote:
^ The one I bought on Amazon covers the entire base of the camera as described above and has a removable L plate. RRS makes great brackets, but the price difference is just too great to justify for me.

Yeah that is the one I posted in the link. I ended up taking off the vertical bracket and just leave it off permanently. It didn't occur to me until the other day that my new camera has an articulating screen so I don't have to extend the legs if I was shooting horizontal first to be able to see what I am shooting.

Sep 30, 2017 at 02:05 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

dmacmillan wrote:
I'm thinking about getting the grip for the X-E3. I'm not so much interested in the grip part, but the base plate is Arca compatible. I have a compatible ball head, looks like it would be just the ticket. It's not an L plate, but that would be silly on a X-E3.

I had one (RRS) for my XE1 back in the day. It was a great thing to have on the camera for the occasional times when I wanted to put the thing on a (lightweight travel) tripod. It was so small that I really didn't notice it.

Sep 30, 2017 at 05:05 AM
jrscls
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

The FOTOMIX LB-XT2 bracket arrived today from Amazon, and first impressions are great. Fit and finish are very nice, and the side door still opens easily.

I also own a battery grip which is useful when I'm shooting portraits or need the extra battery life. However, it is easily removed, so I prefer to attach an L bracket directly to the camera body when going light. For these purposes, I'm happy with the find on Amazon.

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:55 PM
Tom Conte
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

Let me tell the story, mainly because it's a Sunday and I'm bored. I also collect mechanical watches (see my avatar). About 20 years ago, there was a graduate student at CMU who decided to start his own Swiss watch brand. That might sound difficult, but it really isn't. That's because most watch manufacturing can be outsourced to a myriad of Swiss companies. (Even the assembly and the distribution can be outsourced.) He priced his watches very reasonably. They sold okay but not incredibly well. Then, an industry veteran gave him the advice that he was pricing his watches to cheaply. He quadrupled the price of the watches, and then they sold much better.

The moral of the story is that people expect something that is high-priced to be a luxury good that has inherent higher quality than something that is reasonably priced. The emperor has no clothes, but he spent a heck of a lot for them.

Now, this is no knock against RRS nor an endorsement for Chinese manufacturers. But,... be careful out there.

Tom

Oct 01, 2017 at 08:17 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

^^^
Yes, it is a tricky thing.

I suspect that many users could be quite happy if they get the right knock-off product.

On the other hand, stories go in a variety of directions. I'll share two.

A person (who will remain anonymous here) that I know very, very well graduated from an undergraduate university computer science program many years ago. This was a time when early tech companies were taking off like rockets, so rather than go on the grad school he immediately got a good job with a software company and shortly moved to a very well-paying job with another company (which will also remain nameless in this story) that ended up being extremely successful for a short period. (Could have been a Microsoft, but ultimately it didn't work that way.)

He ened up in charge of a project that produced an extremely successful and innovative software product that made a ton of money for the company. It was a so-called integrated productivity application, a big concept at that time, and was arguably perhaps the first successful example. He related a story of a meeting with the marketing folks at which there was a spirited discussion of how to price the product. Basically there were two options, and from the company's point of view it was very difficult to pick one over the other objectively. One option was to take this program, pack it in a large and expensive box, add expensive and voluminous manuals and support materials, market it as a high end product and sell it for (let's say) $400. The other option was to take the same product, put it in a lightweight box with minimal but sufficient manuals, market it as an "everyman's tool," and sell it for $45 to 10x as many buyers.

I won't say which they chose.

Another story, this one literally about cheap knock-off products. When I got my first full frame DSLR many years ago, I was shocked by the price of batteries. I looked around and found a third-party brand that many had found to work. I purchased a couple of their batteries at perhaps 1/4 of the price of the OEM batteries. They worked great! I was impressed and extolled the virtues of these batteries to others.

Then I got my next full frame DSLR. It came with one OEM battery, and I immediately bought three third-party batteries from that same cheaper (and reliable!) company that I had used for the previous camera. Two of the batteries were dead on arrival. They wouldn't even take a charge. I sent them back and the company sent me two replacements. One of those was also DOA. The other one appeared to charge, but only held enough power for about 20 photographs. The other battery that wasn't DOA originally? It held enough power for about 50 photographs. I discovered than on a weeklong backcountry photography trip for which I had brought just enough batteries. I thought. Fortunately the prematurely dead battery was one of the first I used, so I was aware that I had to ration power early on the trip.

So, there are potential upsides and downsides to both the expensive and the inexpensive alternatives.

Oct 02, 2017 at 05:55 PM
Steezus
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

Batteries are one of those items that can be made so poorly and vary so much, with so much potential volatility that you need to either stick with OEM or let everyone else test out which 3rd party brand is actually decent and hope their manufacturing process wasn't changed in the mean time.

When Fuji charges nearly $70 for a 1260mAh old school Li-Ion battery, you know you are being taken advantage of, big time. Now that the X-T2 has been out awhile, we now know that there are very good 3rd party batteries that nearly match the performance for a fraction of the price. I'll take 5-6 Wasabi batteries for the price of one OEM battery at this point and time, but yeah, you really hope that they didn't change something with the battery and you are part of the first batch that gets to find out.

Oct 02, 2017 at 06:50 PM
wsheldon
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

I recall similar discussions about over-priced Canon tripod rings for lenses that don't ship with one (70-200f4, 100macro, etc). Some people love their $50 Chinese knock-off from E-bay, others note they're made of cheap spray-painted pot-metal and not machined aluminum, and have lost rigs on the ground. Similar story about CF tripods - some people have great experiences, others have legs snap or come apart, losing equipment. Then there are philosophical battles about supporting profiteering big corps vs rip-off artists stealing IP and US jobs. In the end we all pay our money and take our chances.

Not easy becoming an informed consumer, but these forum conversations are a big help. I'll certainly consider the FOTOMATIX if I pick up another Fuji body.

Oct 02, 2017 at 07:10 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

Steezus wrote:
Batteries are one of those items that can be made so poorly and vary so much, with so much potential volatility that you need to either stick with OEM or let everyone else test out which 3rd party brand is actually decent and hope their manufacturing process wasn't changed in the mean time.

When Fuji charges nearly $70 for a 1260mAh old school Li-Ion battery, you know you are being taken advantage of, big time. Now that the X-T2 has been out awhile, we now know that there are very good 3rd party batteries that nearly match the performance for a
...Show more

I do use some third-party batteries now with my Fujifilm cameras.

My point was mainly that while high-end and budget products can be equal, my experience is that you can't be quite as sure with third-party products. It is a trickier market...

I could add another story about a tripod that I still use, but now less than happily. Quite a few years ago I saved a chunk of money by getting a very large and solid Induro tripod (a model they no longer sell) rather than spending a few hundred more on what probably would have been a Gitzo unit.

At first I was pretty pleased with both the savings and the performance. But it was much too soon when the bolts attaching the tripod legs had to be tightened continually in order to put enough friction on the hinges... and then they could no longer be tightened enough to supply enough friction at all.

Now I continue to use this tripod, even though I know it eventually needs to be replaced, and in the end I'll have ended up spending more than if I had gotten the higher quality unit in the first place.

Again, it isn't a black and white issue.

Oct 02, 2017 at 09:26 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password