Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

Mr. G
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

An interesting note RE: RRS ball heads. When I sold off my Nikon I sold a Chinese L-bracket for the D750. It would not lock down in an RRS ball head with the lever lock. Apparently RRS uses a slightly wider width for their dovetail then the Arca Swiss standard and their lever locks are not adjustable to lock the smaller sizes (or so I was informed by the purchaser of the L-bracket).

I ended up refunding the buyers money.

Sep 02, 2017 at 12:22 AM
Mr. G
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

Abuttolph wrote:
I have been looking into an l-bracket for ax x-t2 also. Any issues with this one, such as accessing ports or anything else?

No issues with the Amazon L-bracket. The batteries and left door are accessible.

Sep 02, 2017 at 12:23 AM
Abuttolph
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

Mr. G wrote:
No issues with the Amazon L-bracket. The batteries and left door are accessible.

Thanks. I purchased an x-t2 from an FMer this week and he sent the exact bracket with the camera. It seems to fit just like it should.

Sep 02, 2017 at 02:28 PM
denisavu
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

I had the Amazon Fotasy L bracket and returned it as it was very tight with a strap on the "L" component of the bracket. The horizontal component is non-adjustable. Settled for the Fuji grip for now.

Sep 02, 2017 at 03:50 PM
Steezus
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

Kirk makes great brackets and for a lower price than RRS. On my old D700 the RRS plate blocked off the side ports. The Kirk was a better design and did not block the ports. In that case you would be paying for the name.

I wouldn't assume that the knocks off's are copied from RRS. They don't look like copies and it isn't exactly rocket science to design such a basic part.

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:04 AM
njfantastico
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

I had never used an RRS plate before, but numerous FM members swear by them. SO, the last time i purchased an XT2, i got one.

The knockoffs are pretty good, less expensive and work.

The RRS plate is more expensive than it should be, BUT they are made better. No sharp edges, buttery smooth, finish is smooth, well made. Used pricing is nice.

If i were paying NEW prices, i'd get the other brand. As for used RRS, well worth it.

Sep 14, 2017 at 04:50 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

I'm a pretty big fan of RRS gear, though I also use equipment from other manufacturers. (My Acratech Ultimate Ball Head is a favorite for my backpacking photography.) I have their BH-55. My wife uses their BH-40. I also have the little BH-25 for travel. I use their plates on my Canon and Fujifilm equipment. In virtually all cases I have found that the expense is warranted since the equipment is so well designed and constructed and so reliable.

However, since we are talking about Fujifilm gear in this thread, I want to share one little concern.

I shoot the XPro2. Most of the time I shoot handheld, using the camera for street and travel photography. I sometimes carry a small tripod for "emergency" use, one that I can easily manage for this kind of work — that means a very small unit that easily packs in carry-on luggage. I got the RRS PXPro2 baseplate for the camera. It is compact, light, well designed, and works well on the small tripod.

While I mostly shoot the XPro2 with small primes, it occurred to me last year that I could also use it with Fujifilm zooms for some of my landscape photography when I want/need to travel lighter in the backcountry. (My main landscape photography system is a 51MP camera with a set of zooms from Canon.) Because the XPro2 operates well with the EVF, it is reasonable to stick zooms on it and treat it as if it were (almost) an XT2.

Since I rely on the RRS L-brackets with my larger system for landscape photography, I decided to add the BXPro2-L L-Component for BXPro2 Plate, converting my base plate into an L-bracket. On the plus side, it is light and compact and solid, and it is built to the same high quality technical standard that I have come to expect from RRS products.

But I discovered a problem the first time I used it in the field on a recent Eastern Sierra backpacking trip. The clearance between the L-Component section that the camera's side is very tight, creating a couple of deal-breaker problems. First, it is very difficult — though not impossible — to reach through the openings in the bracket to open the door covering the remote release port. Second, and more seriously, the clearance is so tight that the remote release cable interferes with the insertion of the L-Component into the quick release slot of my ball head.

There are ways to fake it:

1. I can slide the L-Component section part way into the Arca-Swiss style clamp — only about 40%-50% of the way in — and let the cable extend straight down from the section that now is outside the clamp. This does not give me a great deal of confidence, but it can work.

2. There are options to use alternatives to the Fujifilm cabled remote release, including an iPhone app that apparently works over the camera's built in wifi. This could work well in some cases, but having to carry and use my iPhone in the backcountry wasn't my original plan.

I'm sharing this not because I dislike RRS — as I pointed out above I like the company and its products a great deal and I own quite a few of them. (I'll purchase more in the future.) However, I think that RRS should explicitly explain this on the page for the product, and I think that potential buyers should be aware of this.

Dan

Sep 14, 2017 at 05:42 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

Mr. G wrote:
An interesting note RE: RRS ball heads. When I sold off my Nikon I sold a Chinese L-bracket for the D750. It would not lock down in an RRS ball head with the lever lock. Apparently RRS uses a slightly wider width for their dovetail then the Arca Swiss standard and their lever locks are not adjustable to lock the smaller sizes (or so I was informed by the purchaser of the L-bracket).

I ended up refunding the buyers money.

Are you sure it wasn't the Chinese knock-off that wasn't manufactured to the Arca-Swiss standard? I would be more inclined to believe it was more of an issue of sample variation due to really poor quality control.

Sep 14, 2017 at 05:50 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

gdanmitchell wrote:
I'm a pretty big fan of RRS gear, though I also use equipment from other manufacturers. (My Acratech Ultimate Ball Head is a favorite for my backpacking photography.) I have their BH-55. My wife uses their BH-40. I also have the little BH-25 for travel. I use their plates on my Canon and Fujifilm equipment. In virtually all cases I have found that the expense is warranted since the equipment is so well designed and constructed and so reliable.

However, since we are talking about Fujifilm gear in this thread, I want to share one little concern.

I shoot the XPro2.
...Show more

I just bought the RRS L-Bracket for the gripped XT2 and it has a slot where it mounts to the grip that allows the plate to slide out and away from the accessory door, to allow enough room to attach cables even when shooting in portrait orientation. Just need to carry a small hex key. The one for the non-gripped version actually has a place to store the hex key, and it also features a "slide-out."

Sep 14, 2017 at 05:59 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

gregfountain wrote:
I just bought the RRS L-Bracket for the gripped XT2 and it has a slot where it mounts to the grip that allows the plate to slide out and away from the accessory door, to allow enough room to attach cables even when shooting in portrait orientation. Just need to carry a small hex key. The one for the non-gripped version actually has a place to store the hex key, and it also features a "slide-out."

Interesting. If I'm understanding your description the side plate of the L-unit can be unbolted and slid over a bit?

That could help with the cable issue, but I would not want to have to carry a hex key around and tighten/loosen it every time I wanted to move the vertical camera position.

(I'm going to investigate the wifi phone connection as a temporary option. At one point I thought I had seen L adapters for USB cables, but I can't find one now.)

Dan

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gregfountain
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

gdanmitchell wrote:
Interesting. If I'm understanding your description the side plate of the L-unit can be unbolted and slid over a bit?

That could help with the cable issue, but I would not want to have to carry a hex key around and tighten/loosen it every time I wanted to move the vertical camera position.

(I'm going to investigate the wifi phone connection as a temporary option. At one point I thought I had seen L adapters for USB cables, but I can't find one now.)

Dan

Yes, that is what it does, you loosen the mount screw and slide the plate over. The drawback is your camera is off center, but that rarely affects what I do so it doesn't bother me, but I do like to shoot tethered in the portrait orientation, so having the ability to make room for the cables is a nice feature for me. And like I said, the plate for the body without the grip has a place for the hex key.

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:35 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

Steezus wrote:
Kirk makes great brackets and for a lower price than RRS. On my old D700 the RRS plate blocked off the side ports. The Kirk was a better design and did not block the ports. In that case you would be paying for the name.

I wouldn't assume that the knocks off's are copied from RRS. They don't look like copies and it isn't exactly rocket science to design such a basic part.

Yea, I totally forgot that Kirk is a viable alternative to RRS. I just checked and Kirk does sell a plate for the X-T2. It's also a lot cheaper than RRS at $110/each. Still, given the Chinese knock-offs, I'm inclined to save a bit of money and try one out.

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:06 AM
Steezus
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

lsquare wrote:
Yea, I totally forgot that Kirk is a viable alternative to RRS. I just checked and Kirk does sell a plate for the X-T2. It's also a lot cheaper than RRS at $110/each. Still, given the Chinese knock-offs, I'm inclined to save a bit of money and try one out.

I just bought a Chinese one for $20 for my XT-20 and it works awesome. I can remove the vertical side of the bracket and I can access all my side doors with the entire thing put together.

These things are so cheap and easy to make that I don't feel bad refusing to be gouged for a name brand just because I am a photographer.

Sep 19, 2017 at 01:08 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

Steezus wrote:
I just bought a Chinese one for $20 for my XT-20 and it works awesome. I can remove the vertical side of the bracket and I can access all my side doors with the entire thing put together.

These things are so cheap and easy to make that I don't feel bad refusing to be gouged for a name brand just because I am a photographer.

Can you make a smart phone photo of the rig in vertical position on your tripod that shows how it mounts and the cable access?

Thanks.

Sep 19, 2017 at 05:36 PM
Steezus
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

The vertical mount is a C, so there is an opening to route the cables, but you would need a low profile cable to actually have them hooked up and clamped to the tripod.

I just like being able to leave my l-bracket on 24/7 and still be able to charge. You could set the vertical bracket at an angle and then use any cable on the side while it is hooked up. It would look weird and your nodal point would be screwed up, but it would work.

Here is the l-bracket.

Sep 19, 2017 at 09:29 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

Steezus wrote:
The vertical mount is a C, so there is an opening to route the cables, but you would need a low profile cable to actually have them hooked up and clamped to the tripod.

I just like being able to leave my l-bracket on 24/7 and still be able to charge. You could set the vertical bracket at an angle and then use any cable on the side while it is hooked up. It would look weird and your nodal point would be screwed up, but it would work.

Here is the l-bracket.

I misunderstood your post then. I thought you were implying that, unlike the RRS unit, you could correctly attach the camera to the bracket with the cable attached. You can't.

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:17 PM
Steezus
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

gdanmitchell wrote:
I misunderstood your post then. I thought you were implying that, unlike the RRS unit, you could correctly attach the camera to the bracket with the cable attached. You can't.

I just looked at it again and unlike my last Kirk plate that allowed me to loosen the screw on the mount and slide the plate away from the side panel, you just have another hole that you can use to remount with about an inch of clearance, yeah, on this $20 plate I can attach my remote while in portrait orientation.

Good thing too since I didn't realize the remote cable goes in there. My old Nikon had a connector on the front avoiding the issue entirely.

Sep 20, 2017 at 01:46 AM
ediblestarfish

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

Well, I got a used RRS plate just for the the bottom, and it has a notch for a strap attachment point on the low right hand grip side which I like to use to carry the camera lens-down style. Haven't seen that in other plates.

It's also got an etched mark to denote the center position so you can align the plate with a quick release head for better centering.

Also there's some magnets to hold a small hex wrench that tucks away with built in storage.

Definitely has some convenience features on the RRS which make it nicer, but not sure if it's entirely worth it for everyone.

Sep 20, 2017 at 07:01 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

Steezus wrote:

Do you have a link to the exact plate that you bought?

Sep 25, 2017 at 07:33 AM
Steezus
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

lsquare wrote:
Do you have a link to the exact plate that you bought?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XDJ6HCY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I looked at it a bit more and the second hole wouldn't work to back the side bracket away from the body since it is not recessed. So shooting vertical with chords attached wouldn't work unless you counter sunk the hole for that screw or had 90 degree angle connector.

Sep 25, 2017 at 01:58 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password