Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2017 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

lsquare
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

When I bought RRS L-Plates in the past, there was a noticeable price difference between the regular L-Plate and the L-Plate for the battery grip. However, for the X-T2, the price difference is only $10. The regular plate is $180. Why is it so expensive?

Jul 25, 2017 at 04:10 AM
Lumens1
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

I bought a third party for about $45 and find it works 100%. No need to empty the pocket book for a name.

Jul 25, 2017 at 08:34 AM
lukejc1
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

I have no idea why they are so overpriced. Third party plates for $15 from Amazon work great.

Jul 25, 2017 at 08:53 AM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

Everything RRS makes is expensive compared to many other brands. That said, their quality is excellent. Only you can decide if the quality is worth the asking price.

Jul 25, 2017 at 03:15 PM
wmiller549
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

RRS designs the plates and brackets in-house. They are then machined to the highest standards at their manufacturing facility in California and sold on their website.

The Chinese buy one, copy it, and then manufacture it in a government subsidized factory that pays slave labor rates.

That's why the RRS plate is relatively expensive compared to the pirated Chinese knock-off.

You can get Rolex watches made there too, if your interested.

Jul 25, 2017 at 03:20 PM
vigna
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

Rolex is a priced watch, if a watch manufactured in other part of the world and show the correct time then it is serve the purpose, open market. It is hard to believe that pirated Chinese products are sold in US.

Jul 25, 2017 at 03:43 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

vigna wrote:
Rolex is a priced watch, if a watch manufactured in other part of the world and show the correct time then it is serve the purpose, open market. It is hard to believe that pirated Chinese products are sold in US.

How would you propose stopping it ?

A US company really can't sue China for intellectual property, patent violations etc, like they can if another US company tried to copy a design.

There is very little recourse, and obviously a lot of consumers are more than happy to pay 75% less to get a copy from China.

Look at Ebay or Amazon, tons of Chinese sellers of products, but, Ebay also cuts a cut of each and every sale, which is millions a day, so fat chance of seeing Ebay outlaw the listing and buying of stuff from China. Likewise, plenty of ways to order direct, and short of the postal service inspecting each and every package how can you prevent consumers buying from there ?

Heck, a lot of US based sellers buy in bulk from China, mark it up slightly, and can deliver it in a few days, shipped from the USA, and still at a huge savings

Look at Rainbow Imaging etc as a classic example. I know if I want a cheap metal lens hood, or step up/down rings etc, it where I go

Jul 25, 2017 at 05:13 PM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

I think you guys misunderstood me. I have been a loyal RRS customer for years. It's just that if you look at the other cameras, the price differences between the regular plates and the ones for the camera+grip is a lot more. For whatever reason, the price for just the base plate is really high. Unless I'm mistaken, $180 is more than what RRS is even charging for the GH5's base plate.

Jul 25, 2017 at 06:36 PM
westiegrrl

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

Because they can?

Aug 02, 2017 at 09:41 PM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

RRS has their operation in California. The cost of running it is high. Everything in California is expensive. Plus, anything that has the label "made in USA" cost 5x more. Go figure on that.

Aug 08, 2017 at 12:56 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

Lumens1 wrote:
I bought a third party for about $45 and find it works 100%. No need to empty the pocket book for a name.

Which one did you buy? I can't justify spending close to $200 on a plate. I'm going to have no choice, but to buy a third party plate. In your opinion, which one is the best one to buy?

Aug 10, 2017 at 05:14 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

lukejc1 wrote:
I have no idea why they are so overpriced. Third party plates for $15 from Amazon work great.

Which one did you get? Any pictures?

Aug 10, 2017 at 05:14 AM
lukejc1
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

lsquare wrote:
Which one did you get? Any pictures?

I purchased a Fotasy plate. I guess it was closer to $25 but still a good price. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2SFP1N/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Aug 10, 2017 at 08:37 AM
Mr. G
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

I too purchased an inexpensive "L" bracket from Amazon. It works fine. It separates into two parts. It does the job. The only issue I have with it is that the black anodizing on the two parts are a slightly different shade of black.

If you want perfect cosmetics go for the RRS. Otherwise the Chinese product works fine.

Gregg

Aug 10, 2017 at 10:13 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

Mr. G wrote:
I too purchased an inexpensive "L" bracket from Amazon. It works fine. It separates into two parts. It does the job. The only issue I have with it is that the black anodizing on the two parts are a slightly different shade of black.

If you want perfect cosmetics go for the RRS. Otherwise the Chinese product works fine.

Gregg

Which one did you get?

Aug 10, 2017 at 05:51 PM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

lukejc1 wrote:
I purchased a Fotasy plate. I guess it was closer to $25 but still a good price. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2SFP1N/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Is it possible to remove the grip?

Aug 10, 2017 at 05:52 PM
lukejc1
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

Is it possible to remove the grip?

Yes you can remove screws and take off the grip.

Aug 11, 2017 at 08:26 AM
Mr. G
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

lsquare wrote:
Which one did you get?

This one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XDJ6HCY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Aug 11, 2017 at 12:06 PM
Abuttolph
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

Mr. G wrote:
This one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XDJ6HCY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have been looking into an l-bracket for ax x-t2 also. Any issues with this one, such as accessing ports or anything else?

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:07 AM
itai195
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Why is the RRS L-Plate for the X-T2 so expensive?

A lot of their new plates have been around $180. They are the highest quality you can buy. Quality costs more.

In general, I imagine that RRS is under a lot of price pressure these days. That's probably why they're getting into harder to copy products like their fancy new video heads.

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:24 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.