New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Scotland trip

ScottUPPSALA
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Scotland trip

Hi everyone! Going to Scotland for a week next Wednesday and was hoping for some tips! Went last year and took my A7ii and Loxia 50 and it worked out great! Since then I've got the Batis 18 and the FE 85. Was thinking of only taking the Batis and will be spending time in the Cairngorms, Fort William and Skye for 3 days. Weather forecast doesn't look great though, is the Batis enough for these needs and is there a rain cover for the a7ii? Thanks 😊

Jul 25, 2017 at 03:32 AM
Trek_of_Joy
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Scotland trip

Been touring the UK for the last couple of weeks, its rained every day. Make sure you're covered. Most of my shots have been with the UWA, so the 18 should serve you well. Enjoy!

Chris

Jul 25, 2017 at 03:53 AM
ScottUPPSALA
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Scotland trip

Trek_of_Joy wrote:
Been touring the UK for the last couple of weeks, its rained every day. Make sure you're covered. Most of my shots have been with the UWA, so the 18 should serve you well. Enjoy!

Chris

My feelings actually 😉 Must get a rain cover 😀

Jul 25, 2017 at 04:49 AM
Peter T
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Scotland trip

These will apparently fit A7 series cameras amongst many others. I haven’t tried them but keep meaning to.
http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/rain_sun_protection/op_tech_rainsleeve_2/17510_p.html?utm_source=google_shopping_feed&gclid=CjwKCAjw2NvLBRAjEiwAF98GMR3x5t9KY1P02au-RhJ_Gyyf543PMReCYQJ54nDXn8E-BUd31xqSOxoC930QAvD_BwE
I tend to rely more on this:
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/rainfall-radar#?map=Rainfall&fcTime=1500972000&zoom=5&lon=-4.00&lat=55.01
It may help you dodge the showers and when the radar shows rain then you know to plan research into sing malt whiskies instead.
Finally I note that it rained here in Dorset last Sunday and Wednesday but has other wise been mostly warm and sunny, albeit not as hot and dry as previously. Looks like Trek_of_Joy may be a bit of a rain magnet so send him (or is it a her) a PM to check that he isn’t going to Scotland next week!

Jul 25, 2017 at 03:59 PM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Scotland trip

Scotland looks better in bad weather and this is how it is most of the time, so embrace it!

Jul 25, 2017 at 04:35 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Scotland trip

I was just in Scotland with my A7rII, Batis 18, FE28, Batis 85-- Skye for a week, and a few days in Glencoe/Glasgow.

I barely used the 28mm. I used the 18mm a LOT. I used the 85 moderately.

As others have said, Scotland looks great in the mixed weather. Clouds, light shafts, mixed outdoor light, I'm still processing my images, but so far they are fantastic. We got rained out in Glencoe, sadly, but had very little heavy rain in Skye.

Be prepared for the midges. That's a waaaaay bigger concern than the rain! Seriously.

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:55 PM
ScottUPPSALA
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Scotland trip

justruss wrote:
I was just in Scotland with my A7rII, Batis 18, FE28, Batis 85-- Skye for a week, and a few days in Glencoe/Glasgow.

I barely used the 28mm. I used the 18mm a LOT. I used the 85 moderately.

As others have said, Scotland looks great in the mixed weather. Clouds, light shafts, mixed outdoor light, I'm still processing my images, but so far they are fantastic. We got rained out in Glencoe, sadly, but had very little heavy rain in Skye.

Be prepared for the midges. That's a waaaaay bigger concern than the rain! Seriously.

Awesome read, thanks! Well I've decided to take the Batis 18 and my new Design Peak Shell rain protector that's due in today! I agree on the weather and hoping for similar weather that I enjoyed last year (sunny spells with clouds) Looking forward to seeing Skye for the first time (Seen Glenfinnan, Glencoe, Cairngorms before) Gonna be awesome.

Jul 26, 2017 at 03:05 AM
ScottUPPSALA
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Scotland trip

Thanks for the met link, useful 😉 Decided to buy a Peak Design Shell as protection but thanks anyway 😊

Peter T wrote:
These will apparently fit A7 series cameras amongst many others. I haven’t tried them but keep meaning to.
http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/rain_sun_protection/op_tech_rainsleeve_2/17510_p.html?utm_source=google_shopping_feed&gclid=CjwKCAjw2NvLBRAjEiwAF98GMR3x5t9KY1P02au-RhJ_Gyyf543PMReCYQJ54nDXn8E-BUd31xqSOxoC930QAvD_BwE
I tend to rely more on this:
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/rainfall-radar#?map=Rainfall&fcTime=1500972000&zoom=5&lon=-4.00&lat=55.01
It may help you dodge the showers and when the radar shows rain then you know to plan research into sing malt whiskies instead.
Finally I note that it rained here in Dorset last Sunday and Wednesday but has other wise been mostly warm and sunny, albeit not as hot and dry as previously. Looks like Trek_of_Joy may be a bit of a rain magnet so send him (or is it a her) a PM to check
...Show more

Jul 26, 2017 at 03:37 AM
johnahill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Scotland trip

Which bits of Skye are you doing? Old man of Storr and the Quiraing are a must.
The Fairy Glenn near Uig on Skye also one of my fav places.

Enjoy and remember to post some pics here

Jul 26, 2017 at 04:27 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Scotland trip

ScottUPPSALA wrote:
Hi everyone! Going to Scotland for a week next Wednesday and was hoping for some tips! Went last year and took my A7ii and Loxia 50 and it worked out great! Since then I've got the Batis 18 and the FE 85. Was thinking of only taking the Batis and will be spending time in the Cairngorms, Fort William and Skye for 3 days. Weather forecast doesn't look great though, is the Batis enough for these needs and is there a rain cover for the a7ii? Thanks 😊

Can't imagine going anywhere and only taking one lens - especially an UWA. Since you are obviously going to be touring in a hire car I don't see the issue with taking all three lenses (18, 50, 85) that's a really nice spread and the 85 will see use in towns and partner (if any) as well as landscapes. Just leave those you don't intend using at that moment in the hotel/car.

Edited on Jul 26, 2017 at 05:31 AM · View previous versions

Jul 26, 2017 at 04:51 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Scotland trip

johnahill wrote:

Wife and I have just booked return tickets to Europe, ostensibly to visit family but we have a lot of time (7 weeks) to vist places we haven't yet been to in Europe, and Scotland (5 days) is on the list (flying into Edinburgh then off to Skye via Loch Lomond, Glencoe etc., early September) so any tips gratefully received ! Guess the OP will not turn them down or object either

Jul 26, 2017 at 04:54 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Scotland trip

Tips:

Consider the extra insurance coverage for the car, or your credit card's coverage if available. The roads can be narrow, and big busses with protruding mirrors aren't exactly shy (and I say that as someone who has driven all over Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Indonesia, South Africa, Europe, USA, etc).

This goes doubly so on the road to Skye via Loch Lomond and Glencoe. I was well within my lane and an oncoming bus swiped my side-mirror with its mirror, and smashed it. Has insurance (which I usually waive), and all it took was 4 extra minutes when returning the car... and no cost to me.

Read about midges now. No, yesterday. They are real. They swarm. Get the right repellent (and the skin lotion doesn't work that well-- get real stuff), use it, and consider carrying a special midge-net for your face. You might never need it, but if you're ever at a bottleneck in a trail like I was (say, where one crosses a single cable across a river, and there is a school group ahead of you meaning you wait for 15 minutes)-- you'll put the thing on, dignity be damned.

Eat the seafood in Skye. Perhaps the best scallops of my life, and noteworthy mussels, etc. Lamb ain't bad either.

If you want to visit Talisker, and it's worth it despite being owned by megacorp-- the most expensive tasting is definitely worth it. The tour itself is OK, but not noteworthy. The tastings are great. But book NOW. Or you may not get a space. Settling for the second level tour is still fun if you can't book the tutored tasting.

Get yourself some good, waterproof footwear, pants, and jacket. And a pack to toss them in when you're hiking. You'll need 'em, and it will allow you to get out and enjoy the landscapes even if its pissing down.

Jul 26, 2017 at 05:22 AM
ScottUPPSALA
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Scotland trip

johnahill wrote:

Well, my parents live in Scotland so that's the first priority 😉 Then we've booked 2 nights in the Cairngorms and will travel over to Skye on a full day (will get to see Storr and Eilean Donan Castle) then down to Fort William and pop into Glenfinnan! Glencoe we'll probably take on the way back down to Langholm (where they live) My next trip over I'm gonna hire my own car and explore more thoroughly 😊

Jul 26, 2017 at 05:56 AM
johnahill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Scotland trip

Of course, family first. You have the Storr and Eileen Donan on the list so thats a good start :-)

Jul 26, 2017 at 07:13 AM
WestTexas Sky
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Scotland trip

You want a good rain cover. I use a Kata that let's me see the back of the camera and has two sleeves for my hands. A must have in rainy Scotland. Remember your lens hoods too as they help a lot.

Gore-Tex boots, rain pants and a good jacket were my everyday wear when I was there. I went in October so no midges. In summer, be prepared and take a head net.

I would take the wide angle and one of the other lenses. I used my Loxia 21mm the most. 100mm the least. Voigtlander 15mm in the middle.

Don't try to cover too much ground. Distance looks small but narrow, curvy and sometimes one lane roads make slow going.

You could easily spend four days on Skye. Lots to see; Fairy Glen, Faire pools, Kilt Rock, Cuillin's, Dunscaith Castle, Point Neist lighthouse, Old Man of Stor, Quairaing and more.

Inverlochy Castle near Fort William is worth a stop for an hour.

Buchaille Etive Mor is amazing in the Glencoe area as is Kilchurn castle.

Have fun and take plenty of pics!

ScottUPPSALA wrote:

Jul 26, 2017 at 08:15 AM
Peter T
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Scotland trip

Frogfish wrote:
Wife and I have just booked return tickets to Europe, ostensibly to visit family but we have a lot of time (7 weeks) to vist places we haven't yet been to in Europe, and Scotland (5 days) is on the list (flying into Edinburgh then off to Skye via Loch Lomond, Glencoe etc., early September) so any tips gratefully received ! Guess the OP will not turn them down or object either

I think it is quite difficult to find anywhere in Scotland that isn't photogenic. I tend to go wherever there aren't likely to be too many other people so would avoid some of the popular hot-spots. We went to Glencoe in May 2016 but didn't stop because it was swarming with people rather than midges. Fortunately finding quieter beautiful places is very easy.

Jul 27, 2017 at 04:33 PM
mreynolds767
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Scotland trip

Those midges sound really annoying. I was researching Isle of Skye for an August trip and the midge issue kind of turned me off since I envision a photographer sitting stationary at a tripod at dawn or dusk to be a prime target for them in season.

Hard to get a grasp on what it is really like having never experienced anything worse than mosquitos or sand flies.
I heard if it is windy they will not be bad.

Jul 27, 2017 at 05:55 PM
ScottUPPSALA
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Scotland trip

We've got horrible mosquitoes here in Sweden so midges probably won't bother me much? 🤣 Anyway got my Peak Design cover in today and it's neat, should do a good job! Like Peter T wrote Scotland is very photogenic and you could stop basically anywhere and shoot. Now hoping my dad's up to plenty of driving 😆

Jul 27, 2017 at 06:03 PM
WestTexas Sky
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Scotland trip

Scotland is an amazing country and worth visiting. In particular, the Highlands is very scenic. Summer is Midge season and you have to be prepared. Long pants, repellant, head net, maybe gloves.

Having experienced the Skeeter's in Alaska and the gnats at the Great Salt Lake, I would say being prepared makes it tolerable....Barely. Not being prepared​ and you will be miserable.

So go and have fun with the right gear.

mreynolds767 wrote:
Those midges sound really annoying. I was researching Isle of Skye for an August trip and the midge issue kind of turned me off since I envision a photographer sitting stationary at a tripod at dawn or dusk to be a prime target for them in season.

Hard to get a grasp on what it is really like having never experienced anything worse than mosquitos or sand flies.
I heard if it is windy they will not be bad.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:26 AM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Scotland trip

justruss wrote:
Tips:

Eat the seafood in Skye. Perhaps the best scallops of my life, and noteworthy mussels, etc. Lamb ain't bad either.
________

Lots of very useful advice. Just don't eat the haggis.

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:56 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.