Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2017 · Are You Still Happy w/X-T2 for Weddings? Fuji vs Sony

MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Are You Still Happy w/X-T2 for Weddings? Fuji vs Sony

Those of you shooting with the X-T2 for weddings are you still happy with it? Any limitations that cramp your personal style of shooting?

Just read this article, probably the best a9 review that I have rad to date. Make me want to jump on board Sony. It's by a UK wedding photographer. He doesn't speak so highly of the Fuji's as others have. https://petapixel.com/2017/07/24/review-sony-a9-camera-wedding-photographers-dreams/

Let me know what you think.

Fuji vs Sony

Jul 24, 2017 at 07:20 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Are You Still Happy w/X-T2 for Weddings? Fuji vs Sony

No takers on this?

Jul 25, 2017 at 03:25 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Are You Still Happy w/X-T2 for Weddings? Fuji vs Sony

I never went the XT-2 route. I still have my XPro 2's but I've switched 90% of my professional work to my Leica SL's. Shot maybe a dozen weddings with the Fuji's. Most think I'm nuts but I'm happy with my choice.

As far as the Fuji's go there's only two things that bugged me in a significant way. Battery life and Lightroom compatibility. Lots and lots of batteries to get through a big day. And with Lightroom it's file handling. I have no issues with LR image quality. It's the slooooooooow import. The lag from image to image that is longer than medium format image.

Fuji's AF isn't up to Sony's but that's not something I need. Nor is 20 fps. The Fuji shutter sound never got in my way. The lenses are stellar and half the size of the Sony's. And cheaper. If you shoot the way the Sony will make life easier then go for it. It would make no difference to my day, half of which is with manual focus anyway, just 'cause.

With Sony it's all about the skin tones. I have NOT tested the A9. But I have yet to shoot a Sony where I like the skin tones. And that means a lot of extra work in post. Others may love them. But I'd rather have Fuji's colours (and the ACROS simulation which is just friggin gorgeous) than Sony's, any day. Also not a fan of the buttons and menus. Plus I need a grip on my A7R2 to remotely like the handling. So for me if it were a choice I'd stay with Fuji.

It's getting a lot of hype and I don't doubt it's capabilities. But it's still just a camera. The most important tool will still be the one holding the camera.

Gordon

Jul 26, 2017 at 03:05 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Are You Still Happy w/X-T2 for Weddings? Fuji vs Sony

Never used a Sony camera, but I have shot with the X-T1 and X-T2 at weddings.

I personally thought both versions were garbage. Maybe suitable as a backup camera, but with better options from Canon, Nikon and Sony, you have to ask yourself why you'd buy a crop sensored Fuji in the first place.

Jul 26, 2017 at 08:01 AM
ayjayy
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Are You Still Happy w/X-T2 for Weddings? Fuji vs Sony

I had an XT-2 mostly for family stuff, but I brought it along for weddings and used it a little bit. The low light AF and crop sensor held me back enough for me not to switch all the way.

After getting the a9 I sold all my fuji stuff (except the GFX). The a9 made the xt-2 redundant.

Jul 26, 2017 at 09:21 AM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Are You Still Happy w/X-T2 for Weddings? Fuji vs Sony

I have used an X-T2 for outdoor weddings, and it's definitely not garbage. Indoors has been a different story, primarily due to the lack of flash options. Much of that has been addressed with the Godox TT350-F that was released earlier this month. It will get even better when the Fuji version of the V860 becomes available. There may be other flash options from Phottix, Yongnuo, etc.. X-T2 files at ISO 12800 may not be in the same league as those coming from a Nikon D5, but they're very usable when properly exposed.

The senseless argument of crop body vs full-frame will continue ad infinitum. Who cares?

Jul 26, 2017 at 10:36 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Are You Still Happy w/X-T2 for Weddings? Fuji vs Sony

Interesting to hear some of the feedback here and I'll continue to read along. I'm happy with my Nikon bodies for wedding and other paid work, but my quest continues for a good smaller personal camera. I'm moving away from my M43 and am considering an x100t/f (had a x100s for a year or so a while back) or maybe a RX1R. Files and handling are big concerns, even though I wouldn't be planning to use these professionally, I want them to work with my existing LR workflow. It is possible that I'll never be happy with anything but a DSLR, but I'm wanting to give one of these other fixed lens mirrorless a chance.

Are these newer Fuji sensors playing nice in LR better than a few years ago? How are the Sony colors, consistent with Nikon?

Jul 26, 2017 at 10:47 AM
eke2k6
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Are You Still Happy w/X-T2 for Weddings? Fuji vs Sony

BSPhotog wrote:
Interesting to hear some of the feedback here and I'll continue to read along. I'm happy with my Nikon bodies for wedding and other paid work, but my quest continues for a good smaller personal camera. I'm moving away from my M43 and am considering an x100t/f (had a x100s for a year or so a while back) or maybe a RX1R. Files and handling are big concerns, even though I wouldn't be planning to use these professionally, I want them to work with my existing LR workflow. It is possible that I'll never be happy with anything but a
...Show more

I've owned every X100 iteration, and they're great cameras. But for some reason I'd never trust them at a wedding, and I've gotten rid of them as travel cameras. I've also looked into getting an RX1R, but the original version lacks any type of viewfinder (unless you want to carry a separate accessory), and the price of the second one is still in the "too absurd to spend on a vacation camera" category.

Long story short, my Nikon Df came in last week and it's been the best of both worlds. It's stylish, low profile (due to it's oldschool film look, people never get as suspicious), it's only a little bigger than the X-T1 I just sold, and takes my current F mount lenses. It may be worth looking into if you can get a decent deal.

Jul 26, 2017 at 10:55 AM
azmerm

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Are You Still Happy w/X-T2 for Weddings? Fuji vs Sony

I have both XT2 and XPro2, as well as D750/D500. The Fuji is definitely not garbage and Capture One handles the files quickly and beautifully. The advantages IMO! of Fuji are light weight which is a real plus to an old guy like me, skin tone, and no need for repeated auto fine tuning with lenses (I use Reiken). The F2 primes which provide enough DOF for my wedding taste are amazing sharp and inexpensive. I also use the Fuji for street photography and the responsiveness is extremely fast. The Fuji's work well with my Quantum flashes if I need them albeit in manual mode. For weddings Fuji is good from bride's room getting ready all the way up to but not including the reception.

In a dark reception room is where I run into a road block because the Fuji focusing slows down. Some photographers are ok with that but I need speed to catch the moment. So I have given my body a respite during the day, and I haul out the Nikons instead and lock up the Fuji's. I'm not worried about the file differences because DJ lighting can be wacko and changing during the night. After 18 years, 600+ weddings, and social security eligibility , this method allows me to have fun with a few more weddings.

I know there are a lot of differing opinions regarding LR vs C1 - sorry for bringing that up. It's just that in my opinion and many others (Petapixel, etc) is that LR is turtle slow. I have a relatively new IMac 5K Retina Pro. Once you edit the very customizable keyboard shortcuts and screen layout, C1 flies for me! I do use Photo Mechanic 1st for selects though.

Alan

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:14 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Are You Still Happy w/X-T2 for Weddings? Fuji vs Sony

If a camera (X-T2, for example) can't reliably focus during a reception, it's garbage for a wedding photographer. Especially if you already have another camera system with better alternatives (5D4, D750, D810, etc.).

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:38 AM
azmerm

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Are You Still Happy w/X-T2 for Weddings? Fuji vs Sony

Thank you for for reiterating the view that you previously stated. I respect your choice. I hope you respect the choice that others try to contribute that may work for them.

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:48 AM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Are You Still Happy w/X-T2 for Weddings? Fuji vs Sony

ZachOly wrote:
If a camera (X-T2, for example) can't reliably focus during a reception, it's garbage for a wedding photographer. Especially if you already have another camera system with better alternatives (5D4, D750, D810, etc.).

I don't think anybody denies that the D750, D5, D4, D3S and other high-end gear is better at acquiring focus with fast moving subjects and/or in poorly lit conditions. It really wasn't that long ago that people were fretting about focus issues with some of the upper-end gear from Canon, Sony, etc.. Based only on my experience with the X-T2, I find that it actually holds its own in reasonable light. Just like all brands, some lenses do better than others. In poorly lit conditions, help is available via the built-in AF assist light, or the AF beam on the TT350-F. Godox, by the way, could have chosen a less intrusive/blinding solution.

Jul 26, 2017 at 01:13 PM
sold5

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Are You Still Happy w/X-T2 for Weddings? Fuji vs Sony

I use Fuji xt2's and a Canon 5D4 for weddings. For getting ready shots I keep two cameras on my belt on spider holsters and one in my hand. Fuji 16mm f1.4 and 56mm f1.2, and Canon 35L mkII. All sharp wide open, the Canon gets used for the faster moving stuff and the Fujis for everything else. No bag, no lens changes, no sore back. I change batteries in the fujis on the way to the ceremony but use 5D4 mostly with the 70-200 for the ceremony with bounced flash. The 56mm comes out for the shots of guests mingling outside the ceremony and family formals if the light is good enough for natural light, as well as the bride & groom and bridal party shots as I can pick the location/ lighting for these. Then Canon for indoor drinks receptions, fuji 56mm for outdoor ones. Canon and Fuji 16mm for dancing - zone focusing with the 16mm is instant. What I like most about the fujis is that my editing time for these photos consists of scrolling through them in Lightroom library module adjusting exposure on maybe 10% of them. I use lightroom Astia calibration and it matches the great jpegs perfectly. For me, the Fuji xt2's basically make it way easier and save hours after the wedding. I have been looking at the Sony A9 but can't get away from a nagging feeling that it will end up being more work overall with little to gain.

Jul 26, 2017 at 02:17 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Are You Still Happy w/X-T2 for Weddings? Fuji vs Sony

Thanks everyone for your input, mucho appreciated!

I'm still shooting with the Nikon 750s and would still love to jump to something that is lighter and smaller but it must have as good or preferably better focusing than the D750. I don't wont to take a step back on the AF from the D750. That's why my question about the AF of the Fuji X-T2.

I can live with a crop body. Crop vs FF does not bother me.

The link that I posted above about the a9 sounds really really good but the a9 are too expensive for me to add four of them to a studio plus all new glass even with selling all my Nikon gear.

Maybe the newly touted Nikon mirrorless will be the best of all worlds.

Jul 26, 2017 at 03:20 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Are You Still Happy w/X-T2 for Weddings? Fuji vs Sony

MRomine wrote:

I'm still shooting with the Nikon 750s and would still love to jump to something that is lighter and smaller but it must have as good or preferably better focusing than the D750. I don't wont to take a step back on the AF from the D750. That's why my question about the AF of the Fuji X-T2.

The link that I posted above about the a9 sounds really really good but the a9 are too expensive for me to add four
...Show more

I think the reason that the Fuji system works and is so attractive Ian to do with the killer lens lineup they have for quick primes, bespoke to their APSC sensor size and all pretty solid performers. If Nikon had equivalent lenses, the D500/D7200 would get a lot more love for our purposes.

Jul 26, 2017 at 07:13 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Are You Still Happy w/X-T2 for Weddings? Fuji vs Sony

ZachOly wrote:

What about the first 8 hours of the day? Pull the D750/5D4 out for the dance floor craziness.

Jul 26, 2017 at 07:31 PM
eke2k6
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Are You Still Happy w/X-T2 for Weddings? Fuji vs Sony

MRomine wrote:

The link that I posted above about the a9 sounds really really good but the a9 are too expensive for me to add four
...Show more

Just wait a generation or two for that A9 tech to trickle down to the FF mirrorless cams that aren't god-tier priced.

The only thing really lacking in my D750s is that damned buffer

Jul 26, 2017 at 09:20 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Are You Still Happy w/X-T2 for Weddings? Fuji vs Sony

eke2k6 wrote:
The only thing really lacking in my D750s is that damned buffer

Is it the buffer or slow(er) cards? I've never hit the buffer on my D750 (x4).

As much as I love the D750 I would really enjoy more AF points out on the edges, a silent shutter, a hot-shoe that was not quirky and a significantly more responsive tilt-screen with touch AF.

Jul 26, 2017 at 10:03 PM
eke2k6
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Are You Still Happy w/X-T2 for Weddings? Fuji vs Sony

MRomine wrote:
Is it the buffer or slow(er) cards? I've never hit the buffer on my D750 (x4).

As much as I love the D750 I would really enjoy more AF points out on the edges, a silent shutter, a hot-shoe that was not quirky and a significantly more responsive tilt-screen with touch AF.

Same. I'm holding out hope for the refresh. if not, I'll be seriously eyeing Sony's upcoming lineups.

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:15 PM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Are You Still Happy w/X-T2 for Weddings? Fuji vs Sony

I cannot imaging using a toy-like bodies like fuji and sony mirrorless for weddings... (this should stir some pot)

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:39 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.