New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Amazing Olympus OM D E-M 1 Mk II review

sparadise
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Amazing Olympus OM D E-M 1 Mk II review

If you want to see what the Olympus OM D E-M 1 Mk II can do in the hands of a master check out the link provided. Not only does the review contain many beautiful images but it describes the techniques used along with some hardware commentary.Please share your thoughts

http://www.intufisuri.ro/2017/07/olympus-om-d-e-m-1-mk-ii-review-or-how.html

Jul 24, 2017 at 05:39 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Amazing Olympus OM D E-M 1 Mk II review

Wow ... great find!

Jul 24, 2017 at 06:28 PM
mjc
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Amazing Olympus OM D E-M 1 Mk II review

This is a fantastic review and set of images. The author is ex-Nikon ambassador. Also, on DPreview there has been much praise for this review in a recent thread ...

Jul 24, 2017 at 07:01 PM
sparadise
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Amazing Olympus OM D E-M 1 Mk II review

conyon wrote:
This is a fantastic review and set of images. The author is ex-Nikon ambassador. Also, on DPreview there has been much praise for this review in a recent thread ...
Yep . That's where I found it .

Jul 24, 2017 at 07:04 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Amazing Olympus OM D E-M 1 Mk II review

I thought it looked familiar, and then I realized I had read it a couple of days ago when Anurag posted the link

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1429904/121#14115458

Having only recently joined the Olympus ranks, I'm continually surprised at how much they've packed into this little camera!

Jul 24, 2017 at 07:04 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Amazing Olympus OM D E-M 1 Mk II review

Its a very good camera review, because it doesn't just list a bunch of spec or features, but actually explains what the author uses those features for and their advantages (in his eyes) along with providing some great example photos.

Its also very fair and balanced, in that he isn't claiming MFT has the best IQ around, because we all know it doesn't, but he illustrates how in the larger sense, some of the unique features outweigh things like pure IQ of a larger system like shooting with a D810.

Its kind of an anti-pixel peeper reviewer and one that is focuses just on the end photographic output, both in terms of pleasing images as well as how the tools expand his creative range.

Jul 24, 2017 at 07:50 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Amazing Olympus OM D E-M 1 Mk II review

The sample images are amazing - not unlike Robin Wong's test samples. Interesting to see that the reviewer uses Capture One rather than Lightroom or Photoshop to process/edit these photos. I am just waiting for Adobe to give notice of their 100% rate hike (as they have already started to do) and I will dump them in a heartbeat and switch over to Capture One.

Jul 24, 2017 at 07:52 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Amazing Olympus OM D E-M 1 Mk II review

Is he using the high-res mode like an ND filter with moving water? Hadn't considered using it that way.

Jul 25, 2017 at 03:26 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Amazing Olympus OM D E-M 1 Mk II review

I would love to post this review on the Sony forum but I will be accused of trolling and cast to death by a thousand bullets! Seriously, 99% of Sony shooters are not remotely close to being as good as this Romanian guy, Mircea Bezergheanu.

Olympus should make him an Olympus Visionary .... pronto! I think he's better than most of the current crop of Olympus Visionaries. He personifies the saying "It's not the camera .... it's the monkey behind the camera".

Jul 25, 2017 at 04:14 PM
sparadise
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Amazing Olympus OM D E-M 1 Mk II review

bobbytan wrote:
I would love to post this review on the Sony forum but I will be accused of trolling and cast to death by a thousand bullets! Seriously, 99% of Sony shooters are not remotely close to being as good as this Romanian guy, Mircea Bezergheanu.

Olympus should make him an Olympus Visionary .... pronto! I think he's better than most of the current crop of Olympus Visionaries. He personifies the saying "It's not the camera .... it's the monkey behind the camera".

For me the word genius comes to mind

Jul 25, 2017 at 04:31 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Amazing Olympus OM D E-M 1 Mk II review

bobbytan wrote:

At the same time, if he took a top of the line Sony A9 and some great glass, he would certainly produce some amazing images with that system as well, and likely find some unique images which take advantage of some of that cameras feature set as well.

Different cameras simply excel in some different ways. An EM1.2 is pretty awesome when you can handhold a 5 second exposure. A Sony (or Nikon etc FF) with a Sigma 135mm f1.8 mounted gives some pretty awesome portraits.

No camera creates talent though, or vision, merely it lets a person execute it, provided they have it to start with.

Sure, 99% of Sony users aren't as good as this guy, but you know what, 99% of MFT users aren't either.

I think its certainly fair to say something to the extend of "well, look at these amazing images" when people might foolishly think MFT can't produce great images, but its also true that Mircea would produce stellar stuff with a XT2, a A9, and EM1.2, or even an iPhone.

Jul 25, 2017 at 04:36 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Amazing Olympus OM D E-M 1 Mk II review

You are right, of course, and I completely agree. The point I am making is most photographers get so hung up with gear like as if gear by itself will make better photographers out of them.

And you are right too that 99.9% of m43 shooters are not great. As a matter of fact, there are better Sony (and Canon and Nikon) shooters than there are m43 shooters - as most pros are shooting FF.

millsart wrote:
At the same time, if he took a top of the line Sony A9 and some great glass, he would certainly produce some amazing images with that system as well, and likely find some unique images which take advantage of some of that cameras feature set as well.

Different cameras simply excel in some different ways. An EM1.2 is pretty awesome when you can handhold a 5 second exposure. A Sony (or Nikon etc FF) with a Sigma 135mm f1.8 mounted gives some pretty awesome portraits.

No camera creates talent though, or vision, merely it lets a person execute it, provided
...Show more

Jul 25, 2017 at 06:42 PM
kwalsh
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Amazing Olympus OM D E-M 1 Mk II review

millsart wrote:

Certainly he'd produce awesome images with any kit. But I think in this case is really went out of his way to highlight how some of the features the E-M1II has enables images that really no other camera is going to do. Yeah the A9 is awesome, but at web resolutions indistinguishable from most any other camera. But some of the features he's showing off here allow for images in the field that most any other camera *at the moment* won't do as well and that is noticeable at web/postcard size.

Now of course the beauty is this is all just firmware and pretty much any camera out there *could* do all these things - and hopefully we will see more and more companies doing this. Sony is already wandering down this path a bit itself.

Anywho, I largely agree with your point. But in this particular case I think he went out of his way to make the point that the feature set was enabling him to do creative things not really achievable with other systems. And none of this had anything to do with sensor size - it just has to do with the camera designers actually thinking of and implementing features that are creatively useful to photographers. Olympus has been doing a lot of this lately. Panasonic, Pentax and Sony also to a lesser degree. Canikon has been sitting in its usual ossified position though at least there is Magic Lantern for Canon (or perhaps in spite of Canon).

So to me this review was neat not because it highlights anything about m43 or Olympus - but rather should be a clarion call for other manufacturers to continue to up their game in creative features or in some cases get off their asses and actually implement their first ones!

Thanks for the link - interesting read and inspiring photos.

Jul 25, 2017 at 09:06 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Amazing Olympus OM D E-M 1 Mk II review

Absolutely right. Sony has some great apps that you can download for a nominal fee. I do like their Smooth Reflection App. I am hoping Olympus will start introducing some of these cool apps.

kwalsh wrote:
Certainly he'd produce awesome images with any kit. But I think in this case is really went out of his way to highlight how some of the features the E-M1II has enables images that really no other camera is going to do. Yeah the A9 is awesome, but at web resolutions indistinguishable from most any other camera. But some of the features he's showing off here allow for images in the field that most any other camera *at the moment* won't do as well and that is noticeable at web/postcard size.

Now of course the beauty is this is all just
...Show more

Jul 26, 2017 at 10:38 AM
savingspaces
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Amazing Olympus OM D E-M 1 Mk II review

bobbytan wrote:

Olympus should make you a visionary as well.

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:34 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Amazing Olympus OM D E-M 1 Mk II review

savingspaces wrote:
Olympus should make you a visionary as well.

Jul 26, 2017 at 03:09 PM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Amazing Olympus OM D E-M 1 Mk II review

Bobby, review is nice. But many Oly visionaries have a style of their own, the vision, the interpretation...
Pictures here are technically superb, but as photographs, not fresh at all. To be able to click a galaxy shot, or a bird headshot is not something that others cannot do or haven't done. To that extent, this article is more educational (here is the example of portraiture, and here is the example of whatever) and useful for people who put too much importance on gear.
Some of the Oly visionary are brilliant photographers in their chosen sub-field of photography. I couldn't find that level of photography here.

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:45 PM
dass101

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Amazing Olympus OM D E-M 1 Mk II review

A couple of comments from my side (being local to this guy and somewhat familiar with his work)
He truly is an acomplished professional photographer, with a diverse and very consistent portfolio. He is mostly known for his landscape and wildlife, where he puts most of his passion, but masters most other styles equally.
Very oppinionated in all his human interactions, he's not the nicest guy but has an undeniable gift for words and stories.
Used to be a high profile Nikon ambassador, and they parted ways in a heated manner (as I said, not the diplomatic type) and apparently Olympus jumped in at the right moment and provided him with a full pro kit. Just to put things into perspective regarding his praise for Olympus or his bashing on Nikon.
Other that that, the pictures are superb. It's irrelevant if they would have been better with the Nikon kit, since most of us could't get at that level even with the most advanced gear on this planet.
He recently had an open gallery and a presentation with these pictures and his Olympus experience, unfortunately I didn't get the chance to get there.

Aug 16, 2017 at 01:49 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Amazing Olympus OM D E-M 1 Mk II review

Thanks for the inside story on this guy. It's hard otherwise for anyone to understand why a Nikon Ambassador would suddenly switch to Olympus. Sony perhaps, but not "downsize" to Olympus m43.

So true this ....

Other that that, the pictures are superb. It's irrelevant if they would have been better with the Nikon kit, since most of us could't get at that level even with the most advanced gear on this planet.

dass101 wrote:
A couple of comments from my side (being local to this guy and somewhat familiar with his work)
He truly is an acomplished professional photographer, with a diverse and very consistent portfolio. He is mostly known for his landscape and wildlife, where he puts most of his passion, but masters most other styles equally.
Very oppinionated in all his human interactions, he's not the nicest guy but has an undeniable gift for words and stories.
Used to be a high profile Nikon ambassador, and they parted ways in a heated manner (as I said, not the diplomatic type) and apparently Olympus jumped in
...Show more

Aug 16, 2017 at 04:15 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Amazing Olympus OM D E-M 1 Mk II review

You are forgetting our friend, Diego Martin aka dukenukem.

http://www.diegogm.es/Galeria

nandadevieast wrote:
Some of the Oly visionary are brilliant photographers in their chosen sub-field of photography. I couldn't find that level of photography here.

Aug 16, 2017 at 04:21 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.