New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Capture1 messing up my white balance?

formula4speed
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Capture1 messing up my white balance?

I'm a long time user of Adobe stuff (need it for work) just out of curiosity I'm trying a free trial of Capture1. The files do seem really nice, good color and sharpness, maybe even a little less grain at high ISO than ACR/LR.

However, when I do the final export (or whatever they call it to create a jpeg from RAW) my images come out really blue, like the white balance is several thousand degrees cooler than it looked in Capture1. I'm guessing it's something I'm doing wrong, but after playing around for about an hour and a few Google searches I can't figure it out.

Can anyone guess at what I'm going wrong? Anyone else have this issue?

Jul 24, 2017 at 08:44 PM
gchappel

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Capture1 messing up my white balance?

I am a new captureone user as well.
Lots of little annoying issues.
I can't help you with this one- I have not had this same problem
If you still need help, luminous landscape forum has an active capture one forum that has been very helpful for me.
Good luck
Gary

Jul 24, 2017 at 10:46 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Capture1 messing up my white balance?

I have never had this issue and I have been a long time C1 user. If anything the WB produced is slightly warmer then ACR or Lightroom.

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:58 PM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Capture1 messing up my white balance?

Bruce Sawle wrote:
I have never had this issue and I have been a long time C1 user. If anything the WB produced is slightly warmer then ACR or Lightroom.

Same here.

Jul 25, 2017 at 04:06 AM
Richard Smith
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Capture1 messing up my white balance?

That is a strange one. Another long time user of C1 and I agree with the comments above.
Double check your process recipe that there isn't anything strange.

Jul 25, 2017 at 09:34 AM
philber
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Capture1 messing up my white balance?

Same here. However, there are a number of excellent videos on the C1 Website, all of them free, so you might start there. Then, if you don't find what you're after, you can either mail them, or go to the SonyAlphaForum, where they can be reached. Overall, whenever I had a question, I got excellent support. Good luck!

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

formula4speed
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Capture1 messing up my white balance?

Thanks all, I'll try watching some of their tutorials and give it another shot.

Jul 25, 2017 at 01:31 PM
Abbott Schindl
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Capture1 messing up my white balance?

Capture One's "Process Recipe" panes have a lot of variables, spread among several tabs, that you need to carefully set in order to get the output you want. From what you're saying, it sounds like you need to check the color space you've set in the recipe. Once you get everything set as you want, make a preset to save the settings for future use.

While I find Capture One's editing capabilities to be excellent, their Import, Process, and Print functions are overly complex and leave too much room for user error. Especially pay attention when printing. C1 can save printing presets, but those don't include things like the destination printer, which gets reset every time you launch C1 (I've complained about this in several beta cycles, but nothing's gotten done).

In addition to the tutorials on Phase One's site, they offer free webinars several times/month. I found them invaluable when I was getting started and still attend whenever a new version's released. Webinar signup is here:
https://www.phaseone.com/en/Webinars.aspx

Jul 25, 2017 at 02:11 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Capture1 messing up my white balance?

What software are you using to view the exported files?

Jul 25, 2017 at 04:03 PM
formula4speed
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Capture1 messing up my white balance?

15Bit wrote:
What software are you using to view the exported files?

Photoshop CC (whatever the latest release is).

Jul 25, 2017 at 05:19 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Capture1 messing up my white balance?

formula4speed wrote:
Photoshop CC (whatever the latest release is).

I have noticed with the latest version of Lightroom that if i export an edited image from C1 and import it into Lightroom, that imported TIF will pick up the same editing settings as the corresponding CR2 RAW file.

So if i've edited the RAW file in LR, decided i don't like what i get and go to C1, when i import the edited TIF file from C1 back into LR, all the edits i have done to the RAW file get automatically copied to the TIF by LR. I am assuming this is something to do with the sidecar .xmp files.

So i wonder if Photoshop CC is opening your C1-exported TIF as a smart object through ACR, and then applying previous edits in the same way that LR has been for me.

Jul 25, 2017 at 05:51 PM
formula4speed
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Capture1 messing up my white balance?

You could be on to something there. If I remember correctly I was using RAW files I had edited previously with ACR in order to do some side by side comparisons, and I was opening my Jpegs from Bridge which likely would recognize Adobe sidecar files.

I'll have to try editing some files I haven't used ACR with and see what happens.

Thanks.

Jul 25, 2017 at 06:09 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password