New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              10       11       end

Archive 2017 · An uncomfortable truth

AvianScott
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · An uncomfortable truth

There's nothing uncomfortable about the article or what it states. My Canon gear works great and produces excellent images. I've dabble with Nikon on a couple of occasions and keep coming back to Canon.

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:27 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · An uncomfortable truth

Very interesting article that has many shards of truth that maybe no everyone wants to hear. BTW I use Canon myself, but also Olympus,Panasonic, and ages ago Pentax. Its true, you go to see any major event and what do you mostly see Canon and Nikon. Pretty much thats all you see. But outside of that, in what I'll call the enthusiast market theres a little more variety, mostly 4/3 cameras.
But If you had to pick who's making the biggest strides in sensors today, I don't think it would be Canon or Nikon. everyone here reads all the latest articles and reviews, and you see whats written. Fuji and Sony both are making pretty good headway, along with Olympus.
Its pretty great what there doing with what they have. Do they have the systems that Canon and Nikon have, not yet, but there trying pretty hard. Thats where I think both Nikon and Canon are falling slightly behind, they already have a good solid rep and lots of people who are already using there equipment. But its no different than any other industry, If you stand still too long, your going to get passed. But they both still have some time, and a loyal fan base, but how long that will last ? I wouldn't panic yet, but then again Ford and Chevy used to be the only pickups that anyone bought, now thats no longer true.

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:28 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · An uncomfortable truth

When looking at a possible camera purchase it's useful to read/view as many reviews as we can, including the very critical ones. The more informed, the more likely we will make the right decision for our needs.
We should allow all reviews to be posted here but we need to maintain a high level of civility when commenting on them.
Let's try to stay away from brand wars. Thanks for your cooperation.

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:52 AM
MintMar
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · An uncomfortable truth

Seeing 6D2 sensor coming out even slightly less capable than 6D sensor in the low-ISO-DR area was somewhat surprising to me. I expected 80D/SL2/5D4 type of sensor there, given that Canon is still lagging in this particular area.

On the other hand, 6D looks quite competitive to its successor given its age, so I'll just see what happens next... at least while my 6D works

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:00 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · An uncomfortable truth

I have to say I have serious doubts about Canon bringing their A game to the market leading up to the Tokyo Olympics in 2020. That's going to be a significant event to camera manufacturers on their home turf. I see no impetus to even match an A9 now never mind an A9mk2 released ahead of that event which you know Sony will do. If they finally get decent ergonomics, a better build, and a global shutter to avoid banding, that is going to be hard to ignore and in the mean time they get the 300/400 2.8 primes out there.

I have no doubt that Canon has the tech but I have every doubt they will actually release it.

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:21 PM
bootster
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · An uncomfortable truth

I suspect that the OP IS trying to instigate, as he puts up this post and runs away, lurking in the background hoping this thread will generate 65 pages with zero input from him. There's a name for that behavior. It's related to fishing.

I am only adding to the traffic on this post to say that I'm barely able to contain my excitement to have the new 6D Mk II in my hands to go out and prove that it is going to be a top seller, and there is no one who can deny that Canon hasn't had a real "dud" in a long time, and I just don't see them doing it with this offering. I am really excited to get this camera, and it will be so nice to have a touch flippy tilt screen in a full frame offering with this new full sized sensor. Talk about a nice pair, the 80D and the 6D MK II will soon be mine!

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:45 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · An uncomfortable truth

Scoobert wrote:
Seriously I did not know that Fstoppers where trolls?

Trolls, as in trolling for clickbait - otherwise no one would visit their site and buy their overpriced "instructional" videos.

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:49 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · An uncomfortable truth

ggreene wrote:
I see no impetus to even match an A9 now never mind an A9mk2 released ahead of that event which you know Sony will do.

Exactly - not many Canon sports photographers would want to downgrade to Sony's long lens lineup, and sadly, it seems the A9 can't AF any better than a 5D Mark II when you adapt a Canon telephoto to it.

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:51 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · An uncomfortable truth

ggreene wrote:
... I see no impetus [for Canon] to even match an A9 now never mind an A9mk2 released ahead of that event which you know Sony will do. If they finally get decent ergonomics, a better build, and a global shutter to avoid banding, that is going to be hard to ignore and in the mean time they get the 300/400 2.8 primes out there...

Thats an awful lot of ifs about Sony there to outweigh your certainty that Canon can never have enough dynamic range. If every thread on a Canon forum is going to devolve into discussions that no amount of DR is ever enough then perhaps its time for me to switch to a gardening forum.

Jul 24, 2017 at 01:00 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · An uncomfortable truth

Jeff Nolten wrote:
... If every thread on a Canon forum is going to devolve into discussions that no amount of DR is ever enough then perhaps its time for me to switch to a gardening forum.

...or a golf forum. At least, golf is dynamic and most clubs have a range.

Jul 24, 2017 at 01:14 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · An uncomfortable truth

jcolwell wrote:

I don't care who you are or what you shoot.... That there is some funny stuff!

Nice one Jim!

Jul 24, 2017 at 01:28 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · An uncomfortable truth

jcolwell wrote:

Or just take your clubs out to the Driving Range...

The funny thing about DR is that there is never enough of it, no matter what brand of camera you shoot with. I have an A7R II and a D810, and I still need to use ND grads and/or blend exposures, just like with my Canons.

At least with a Canon, I know a single battery will last long enough to complete a 3 or 5 stop exposure bracket...

Jul 24, 2017 at 01:39 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · An uncomfortable truth

I don't think its about brand wars, I think its more based on technology and how its used. Brand wars is based more on someone or group that has always liked a certain brand and sticks with it regardless.
Case in point look at all the older people who buy Buicks, they have always bought Buicks and will buy nothing else. I know because I was stuck in back of one for about 7 or 8 miles hoping they would soon go in any direction other than the one I was going in.

Jul 24, 2017 at 01:44 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · An uncomfortable truth

No further comment from my side - just well said what is stated in the article. Thanks for posting!

Jul 24, 2017 at 02:03 PM
Blair Maynard

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · An uncomfortable truth

jcolwell wrote:

Yeah, when they move the hole to a different position on the green, I am at my wits end.

Jul 24, 2017 at 02:23 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · An uncomfortable truth

The drone maker DJI ... became the main civilian drone manufacturer ...
I think "consumer" is a more apropos word.

Jul 24, 2017 at 02:40 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · An uncomfortable truth

jcolwell wrote:

Well my old Driver certainly a fair bit of "dynamic", and plenty of "range" too. Unfortunately it frequently left me further from the hole than i started. Not unlike some of the recent gear discussion here in fact....

Jul 24, 2017 at 02:43 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · An uncomfortable truth

I plan on being the Happy Gilmore (3 clubs) out there using my 6DII.

It's not the tools you have, but rather how well you use the ones ya got.

Jul 24, 2017 at 02:54 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · An uncomfortable truth

I have held a similar view to the one expressed in that Fstopper's article long before the Fstopper got started.

I believe Canon dSLRs are becoming increasingly boring, uninspired and expensive.
They have lost my trust, and they have lost my dSLR purchase money.

The argument which some Canon dSLR apologists keep advancing is that Canon cameras have been used to take millions of beautiful pictures. Yeah, so what ? Besides, that argument is not sound on several related levels.

(1) Very many "Canon" pictures I see on the net I would not call "beautiful". Some are. By Nikon and others too.
(2) Image goodness depends mostly on the photographer's skill as well as shot conditions, and to a much lesser extent on the camera make and model.
(3) Many nice pictures we see on the net could have been taken with cell phones or anything. Canon gears have absolutely no monopoly on making "nice" pictures. Any half-arsed $100 instant camera can also take nice pictures in right hands, under right circumstances.

At the end of the day, all of that doesn't bother me much because I do not own any Canon Corp's stock. Unfortunately, I do have some good Canon lenses which are limiting my ability to go elsewhere with my camera purchase $$.

Jul 24, 2017 at 03:06 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · An uncomfortable truth

The only problem with 1DxII is the price. Otherwise the camera gets glowing reviews for AF, overall IQ and DR, good implementation of 4K (full DCI, not the stinkin UHD) and 120 fps FullHD, the white balance out of the box was improved compared to last iteration and so forth...

The only two problems with 5DIV are the price and poorly implemented 4K. Otherwise the camera gets glowing reviews for AF and overall IQ. DR gets compared to Nikon/Sony and it's not as good, but the colors are once again great.

Yes, the specs could be better. But I think Canon, as the japanese company suffers a lot from the seniority principles. Some old dudes behind the round table decide that 5DIV should beat Nikon by a small margin, so the engineers delivered such a camera.

Personally I live in a stage of life, where the biggest issue is not the high ISO performance or lack of DR. It's the lack of time to actually go out and make photos and the lack of good service center for recalibration/regular maintenance. If you or the guy who wrote the article is sorely disappointed by 5DIV from the standpoint of all around stills shooter, then it's pure first world problems... (AKA horse shit).

Jul 24, 2017 at 04:34 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.