New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Oly, Fuji or Sony for my daughter ?

bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Oly, Fuji or Sony for my daughter ?

Speaking of the Olympus 45/1.8 most of these street portraits were shot with that lens:

https://blog.mingthein.com/2017/07/20/street-portraits/

Jul 24, 2017 at 10:18 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Oly, Fuji or Sony for my daughter ?

So really .... how good is m43? You be the judge:

http://www.intufisuri.ro/2017/07/olympus-om-d-e-m-1-mk-ii-review-or-how.html

Jul 25, 2017 at 09:16 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Oly, Fuji or Sony for my daughter ?

bobbytan wrote:
So really .... how good is m43? You be the judge:

http://www.intufisuri.ro/2017/07/olympus-om-d-e-m-1-mk-ii-review-or-how.html

Damn you Bobby ! I would like to add this system to my Sony now ! Maybe I'll have to drop Nikon altogether

Jul 25, 2017 at 09:37 PM
VeniceBeach

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Oly, Fuji or Sony for my daughter ?

Micro four thirds is a clear air winner in my mind. It is what I advised for my father in law and he is thrilled after years of Nikon.

The gear is great. The lenses are plentiful and range from affordable to expensive. The images are excellent. The video rocks. The gear is light. Rugged. Versatile.

The Sony APS system is an orphan. I was never happy with my a6300. Great little camera in the FF universe of Sony. Consider the high cost and second class citizen treatment by Sony before embarking in that direction.

Fuji is wonderful. The cameras and lenses rock and they actually believe in APS. That has a lot of value. Video is an afterthought though.

I shoot FF Sony and micro four thirds. I sold a ton of Fuji gear yesterday.

Any choice you make will bring a really capable camera to the table.

A little kick butt Oly is a great choice. Beautiful gear.

-Bill

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

millsart
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Oly, Fuji or Sony for my daughter ?

Advise they rent a few different systems and try them all out first-hand. You can tell a ton from just shooting for a day or two with a few basic lenses how the overall ergonomics etc works.

Far cheaper to rent than to buy something, not be happy, sell it at a loss, then buy something else.

Every camera these days is good, but they are also very different.

Sony A6500 for example takes great images, has great specs, but I for one could not stand the interface of it, or the ergonomics. Just did not work for me and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Not a bad camera, but bad choice for me.

Cameras in the price range your looking are quite cheap to rent and I think it will answer a ton of questions, because as I said, its not an issue of what can produce nice images, anything can, but what actually will get used ?

I've seen too many people buy a spouse of son/daughter a nice camera, only to have it sit unused, because while well spec'd, the person just didn't enjoy shooting with it.

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:17 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Oly, Fuji or Sony for my daughter ?

millsart wrote:
Advise they rent a few different systems and try them all out first-hand. You can tell a ton from just shooting for a day or two with a few basic lenses how the overall ergonomics etc works.

Far cheaper to rent than to buy something, not be happy, sell it at a loss, then buy something else.

Every camera these days is good, but they are also very different.

Sony A6500 for example takes great images, has great specs, but I for one could not stand the interface of it, or the ergonomics. Just did not work for me and I couldn't get
...Show more
Interesting suggestion. They live in London so renting for a week/weekend would be a viable option. Thanks !

Jul 26, 2017 at 05:57 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Oly, Fuji or Sony for my daughter ?

Sorry!

Frogfish wrote:
Damn you Bobby ! I would like to add this system to my Sony now ! Maybe I'll have to drop Nikon altogether

Jul 26, 2017 at 03:21 PM
MikeMancil
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Oly, Fuji or Sony for my daughter ?

Well, I'm late to this party but I'll throw in a positive vote for Sony even though I don't have experience with the other brands mentioned. Christmas before last I bought my wife an a6000 and an upgraded lens, the Sony E 4/PZ 18-105 G OSS. The camera has been a joy to use and the lens is remarkable (for reasonable price). The 18-105 range may cover the needed range for both users and if not the addition of a WA fixed lens would keep the budget and camera bag to a minimum.

Just $.02 worth, good luck with your search... Mike

Jul 27, 2017 at 06:17 PM
       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password