New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Big print advice

grog13
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Big print advice

A friend of mine wants to make a big print, possibly up to 4' x6'. I think he's got the files to do it (he shoots an A7r and also has scanned 4x5 and 8x10 images - not sure which he'd be using). He wants to do a frameless mount (either wrapped canvas or paper on a substrate such as gatorboard. I can't really advise him as I've never printed bigger than 16x24 and just done traditional framing. Questions are:
1) What are the pros/cons of the methods mentioned for a large print?
2) What other alternatives are there?
3) What labs would you recommend? (We're in North Carolina, so southeast US would be good, but doesn't really matter).
Thanks for any help!

Jul 24, 2017 at 02:38 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Big print advice

Be sure that he doesn't expect to be viewing the big print up close as he might with a small print. Big prints work because they are viewed from a greater distance. That's what lets you get away with fewer pixels per inch.

Do a test print first, enlarging a portion of the image on your smaller printer. Then he'll know what to expect from a lab print without wasting lots of money. You'll also have an idea of how much output sharpening needs to be applied.

Other than that, I can't really help you.

Jul 24, 2017 at 02:19 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Big print advice

1) If it's frameless, it probably won't look as big as he's imagining. Same with if it's placed on a very large wall. Chances are it will be viewed from a good distance so the lower ppi won't be an issue. If you view it up close it won't look as good. Canvas is the most forgiving medium for low ppi prints, I would probably use that unless he's set on something else. You might be surprised how good a huge, low PPI print can look from even a reasonable distance, especially canvas.

2) You can stitch images together and get more resolution for a higher ppi print. You can also use up-res software but generally that isn't great.

Jul 24, 2017 at 02:27 PM
grog13
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Big print advice

Alan321 wrote:
Be sure that he doesn't expect to be viewing the big print up close as he might with a small print. Big prints work because they are viewed from a greater distance. That's what lets you get away with fewer pixels per inch.

Do a test print first, enlarging a portion of the image on your smaller printer. Then he'll know what to expect from a lab print without wasting lots of money. You'll also have an idea of how much output sharpening needs to be applied.

Other than that, I can't really help you.

---------------------------------------------

CanadaMark wrote:
1) If it's frameless, it probably won't look as big as he's imagining. Same with if it's placed on a very large wall. Chances are it will be viewed from a good distance so the lower ppi won't be an issue. If you view it up close it won't look as good. Canvas is the most forgiving medium for low ppi prints, I would probably use that unless he's set on something else. You might be surprised how good a huge, low PPI print can look from even a reasonable distance, especially canvas.

2) You can stitch images together and get
...Show more
Yes, he's aware of all the ppi & viewing distance limitations. He's done plenty of printing before, including farily large things, just nothing quite this big. Good point about the unframed image not appearing so big - it is going to be on a large wall. Main question is with mounting, and where to get it all done....

Jul 24, 2017 at 06:51 PM
cmyb

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Big print advice

Google large format printing.

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:57 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password