Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Sony a7RII vs Nikon D750 (Sony mirroless now vs DSLR)

patonima

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony a7RII vs Nikon D750 (Sony mirroless now vs DSLR)

_Since the A9 is out, Sony a7RII are a bit less expensive. I'm thinking about selling my Sony a6000 and my Nikon D750 + a few lenses to get a a7RII. But I can't seem to make up my mind if that's the right decision. I started with the a6000. I love this camera. I decided I wanted to upgrade to a full frame and at the time the cheaper option was to get a Nikon D750. I haven't regretted it since. I learned tone of stuffs and really wanted to understand how to use a real DSLR. I have a few complaints though. I wasn't accustomed to the mirror chock and found out it was very difficult to get super sharp photos below shutter 1/100s (quiet mode), where with my a6000 I could go 1/30s easily. Also I had no idea how bad was the video autofocus and the noisy lenses. Since I have my Nikon I almost stopped doing videos of my kids. I leave the a6000 at home and therefore have no easy way to shoot videos (except using manual focus on my Nikon, but I suck so much at it I stopped trying). You'd tell me it's a done deal, the Sony a7RII seems to get the best out of both worlds with much more (IBIS, eye autofocus, 4K, EVF, silent shutter etc)... That's why I'm so tempted, but then:

_The Nikon D750 images are fantastic. The low light capability is amazing, better I think than any other camera I know whatever DxO is saying I think the D750 is a better low light performer than the Sony a7RII. The autofocus is incredible especially in low light. Now I would give up those things knowing the Sony is also a great low light performer and is known for having great autofocus in good light. The biggest problem for me is price. I need to sell 2 cameras to get one. I could almost shoot professionaly with my current gear (sony+Nikon). I know the a7RII is a more complete model so I get that, but then I need a 50mm 1.8 and the Zeiss version costs an arm. The Sony version is a joke for video with all this noise and has really bad autofocus while costing more than the cheap still very good Nikon 50mm I have... I can't afford the Nikon zoom lenses, but the Tamron and Sigma available to Nikon are affordable and very good too. With Sony I won't get to play with any other lenses. I'll probably buy one and stick to it without being able to experiment as it's so expensive. Adapting lenses seems still not ideal and slow, and the Metabones is pretty expensive added to the lens you want to buy.

For all of that I would stick to my current gear to experiment and have fun. But on the other side, like most, I have the feeling mirrorless is the future. Nikon seems to have a lot of financial trouble. They were using Sony's sensor, which is the most important part for me on the camera. They're not as big as Sony and if they don't team up with a phone hightech company like Samsung or LG, I can't see them innovating like Sony did. (There Chinese translated announcement they were working on a mirrorless seemed not believable) Even Sony's first try to do full frame with the A7 wasn't that great, it took some iterations to come to the A9 and I'm sure the Nikon first mirrorless will be very expensive. At the end of the day, I don't see Nikon getting there. ever... Which makes me reluctant to buy any of Nikon mount lenses knowing I'll switch at some point. In Both cases I don't dare or don't have the money to buy new lenses...

All in all I've seen many reviews about people comparing the D810 to a7RII. I was wondering if anyone had the experience jumping ship especially having used a D750. Any regrets?
What do you think bout Nikon's future, do you think they could still compete with Sony's mirrorless cameras? I have the feeling the A9 finished the job, like when cameras became all digital and Kodak went out of business for a while.
Please share your thoughts
Thanks

Jul 23, 2017 at 06:23 PM
RobCD
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony a7RII vs Nikon D750 (Sony mirroless now vs DSLR)

The D750 is an excellent all around camera and the image quality is very good but if you're worried about a drop in image quality, the A7RII sensor is rated above the D750 in most ways including low light. Since you've been happy with the A6000 I think you'll really enjoy the A7RII. In some ways it will feel a little bit slower than the D750 but in other ways it is much more enjoyable to use. The main thing I've missed with Nikon is the availability of more moderately priced lenses but that is much less of an issue today than it was a couple of years ago.

Nikon's future? I think they'll come around but lately they've made more bad decisions than Canon or Sony so you can only hope that changes soon. The D810 or D750 replacements I'm sure will have some nice upgrades and will sell just fine but if Nikon doesn't start innovating they will be able to rely on this conservative strategy less and less. I'm really curious to see how they approach the full frame mirrorless market. If it's anything like the Nikon 1 approach then they are in trouble.

Jul 23, 2017 at 07:29 PM
thenoilif

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony a7RII vs Nikon D750 (Sony mirroless now vs DSLR)

I started with a Sony a6000 when I started shifting my focus toward photography. I liked it but it just wasnt enough of a camera for me so I sold it and got an A7Rii. I went all out and picked up several high-quality native lenses and also a couple of adapted lenses. At first I loved it but I think most of that was due to the images that I was able to produce (at the time I was mostly shooting street, architecture, still life) and the flexibility of having 4K video capabilities which I use quite a lot.

After a month of heavy use, I began to experience many of the frustrations that have been reported from users of this camera. The primary one being the slight lag. Having never shot much with some of the newer and higher end Nikon and Canon cameras, the slowness I was experiencing was in comparison to the a6000. The file size, and 5 fps really shows if you want to be able to capture even moderately speedy targets. I found myself not being able to get a lot of the same shots that I was able to get with the a6000. Granted, when I did nail them they were really nice and tripod or gimbal shooting produces stunning results. It should be noted that there is a bit of a learning curve when jumping up from 24mp to 42 when it comes to handheld. I really had to focus on developing more muscle memory in order to improve my shots.

Being the consumerism junky that I am, I remedied the problem by picking up an a6500 to pair with the A7Rii. As a duo, they pretty much give me everything I need and more. I now limit the A7rii to studio work, some portraits, architecture, landscape and the a6500 has become my action and general use camera.

Moral of the story is, the A7Rii is a great camera, but I don't think that it should be used as a 1 size fits all device and I can see why many who go from more tried and true cameras like say a Nikon D750 or D810 may find the transition difficult and unenjoyable.

Jul 23, 2017 at 08:59 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.