Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

melcat
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

bs kite wrote:
At this point, I do like the simple strategy of storing images on these 6TB and 8TB internal HD's bought at OWC...and mounted in a dock externally. Why not?

Yes, I would choose a Thunderbolt enclosure rather than a NAS. The reason is that, after so many years of being technically behind with their file system, the new APFS file system that will go mainstream in High Sierra has leapfrogged the NTFS or ext4 you're likely to see inside a NAS. In particular, copying large files around on the same volume is nearly instant.

Jul 26, 2017 at 08:51 AM
bs kite
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

Arka wrote:
Happy to help, and perhaps I can clarify further. What I mean by "[t]he hardware and interface options on the Windows side are much further ahead than on MacOS" is that Apple (IMO) hasn't really been pushing the envelope on how we physically interact with our computers. Apple has always had great software that integrates well with hardware that, depending on when you are looking, is either cutting edge or very far behind. Take the MacPro line, which languishes for years without significant hardware updates but still costs far more than cutting-edge high-end Windows systems from competing big-box manufacturers. The
...Show more

That explained things better...thank you.

How do you deal with malware on a windows machine?

With Mac I just sic Malwarebytes onto them. Game over.

I am not one to buy Norton every year.

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:56 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

ShotByTom wrote:
Never fails...geez. Go back and read the first paragraph!

Some people have an open mind while in pursuit of the best device to suit their personal needs. He is between both systems and cost is a concern, hence my previous question. Next time maybe focus on helping the OP instead of getting defensive about your choice of ecosystem - we're all just trying to help. I couldn't possibly care less what he ends up with, but I do care about helping him get what is going to work best for his usage needs.

bs kite wrote:
But I am not dead set on Mac. As mentioned in responses to others, I am somewhere between Mac and Windows and searching for my best course. It is confusing but I am making progress.

Jul 26, 2017 at 03:18 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

bs kite wrote:
That explained things better...thank you.

How do you deal with malware on a windows machine?

With Mac I just sic Malwarebytes onto them. Game over.

I am not one to buy Norton every year.

I've used Windows since the 90's and I've never had malware or a virus. Especially with Windows 10, you would be well served by just using the built in antivirus/malware utility. No need to pay for anything - the third party software is often not great anyway. Malwarebytes is also available for Windows, so you can use that as well if you like, or the free version for an occasional scan.

Of course, with any system, if you blindly click on and agree to things, you might run into trouble - but that is pretty easy to avoid.

What were you hoping to spend, and do you need a monitor? I can put together some builds to help start creating some options.

Jul 26, 2017 at 03:24 PM
bs kite
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

Mark

Interesting that you have not had malware/viruses, about Windows 10 and that there is a malwarebytes for windows too.

I am inclined to dabble with both systems. I may want to eventually use both interchangeably, with minimal issues.

What am I hoping to spend? Nothing.

Is it ok to approach it from another perspective Mark; i.e. what can I get for

1. under $1000
2. $1000
3. $1000-$2000

Yes, I do need a monitor. In fact, I could just continue to get by with the small MBP and run a monitor with it. But this is not Retina.

Love the portability of he laptop. But I am writing a lot and the TV screen as monitor does not do it.

Yes Mark, I would appreciate you being kind enough to put together an idea or two to get me started in the right direction.

Thank you.

Edited on Jul 27, 2017 at 10:54 AM · View previous versions

Jul 26, 2017 at 03:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

melcat
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

bs kite wrote:
Interesting that you have not had malware/viruses, about Windows 10 and that there is a malwarebytes for windows too.

You don't need and shouldn't install third party antivirus software on any recent version of either macOS or Windows. What Apple and Microsoft provide is actually fine. (Contrary to popular belief, macOS has inbuilt antivirus - Apple don't make a fuss about it, but it's there and you can't turn it off.)

Third party antivirus can actually make your computer less secure. Recent examples include a suspect root certificate and a suite that disabled address space layout randomizatiobn. And, accoding to Wikipedia, around a year ago the very antivirus you're using was downloading its own updates over an unencrypted connection. Only after Google's Project Zero reported it did they fix it.

So stop worring about it. Just keep your operating system up to date and don't go clicking on attachments in dodgy emails.

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:03 AM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

bs kite wrote:
Mark

I am inclined to dabble with both systems. I may want to eventually use both interchangeably, with minimal issues.

What am I hoping to spend? Nothing.

Is it ok to approach it from another perspective Mark; i.e. what can I get for

1. under $1000
2. $1000
3. $1000-$2000

Yes, I do need a monitor. In fact, I could just continue to get by with the small MBP and run a monitor with it. But this is not Retina.

Love the portability of
...Show more

OK so the monitor changes things a bit, because regardless of what you buy, a decent IPS panel is going to run you $300-500 or so for an IPS 27" 1440P. I have no idea what your expectations are there, so maybe I'll leave that out of the build for now.

You always have the option of just getting another laptop and using an external screen, but both performance and price/performance ratio will be worse compared to a similarly priced desktop machine. If portability is a high priority for you though, that is maybe something to look at too.

I don't know what your storage requirements are, so I will also leave secondary hard drives out of the picture for now. They are very inexpensive anyway.

Here are some quick & dirty builds in 3 different price brackets, obviously these can be tweaked in a variety of ways depending on your other preferences (overclocking capability, motherboard features, noise levels, quality of the case, storage needs, etc.):

Under $1000: It would be so close to $1000 anyway for what I would think a minimum would be, so I'll just go to $1000.

~$1000:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nhg6tJ

~$1500:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ffyMtJ

~$2000 (comes up as $2200 but they have an incorrect price on the CPU):
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FMCxJV

Jul 27, 2017 at 08:45 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

CanadaMark wrote:
~$1000:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nhg6tJ

~$1500:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ffyMtJ

~$2000 (comes up as $2200 but they have an incorrect price on the CPU):
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FMCxJV

I'd say they look like good builds. Personally i would swap out the motherboards for cheaper Asus Z270-A and X299-A models, as you don't need all the gamer extras for a photo workstation. Mark and I have had this dicussion before i think, but i favour Seasonic power supplies over the EVGA ones. So i would spec a Seasonic Gold level 660 or 760W model.

Otherwise i would build pretty much exactly the same computers. I would add a Bluray writer for backups and archives too.

Jul 27, 2017 at 09:08 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

15Bit wrote:
I'd say they look like good builds. Personally i would swap out the motherboards for cheaper Asus Z270-A and X299-A models, as you don't need all the gamer extras for a photo workstation. Mark and I have had this dicussion before i think, but i favour Seasonic power supplies over the EVGA ones. So i would spec a Seasonic Gold level 660 or 760W model.

Otherwise i would build pretty much exactly the same computers. I would add a Bluray writer for backups and archives too.

They are just quick & dirty builds, so as I said, a lot could change still. The gaming boards come with beefier VRMs, more ports, and are often just more robust boards. You could shave $50 or so off with another board no doubt, but whether or not it's worth it I'd need to know more about Robert's needs. Definitely something to look at more closely if/when he actually wants to pull the trigger.

Both power supplies (Super Flower & Seasonic) represent basically the best power supplies you can buy.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=494

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=487

In Canada, Seasonic power supplies are hard to come by, but there is more optionality in the USA. By chance I actually ended up with a Seasonic unit in my new build in the form of a Corsair AX860 because all the EVGA G3 units in the wattage I needed were sold out for weeks. There is no way I will ever know the difference now that it's installed, both are top notch.

The new SuperFlower Leadex II platform that EVGA uses is truly excellent in the G3 units. Really you can't go wrong, so you could easily just buy whatever is cheaper at the time. I picked EVGA G3 units because they are the same quality but cheaper, but you could easily swap in a Seasonic unit and be just as happy.

Considering most people use far worse power supplies, you would already be so far above average with either choice that it's almost a moot point.

Jul 27, 2017 at 09:28 PM
bs kite
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

Alright Mark!

Thank you so much! I will thoroughly consider this.

Robert

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:14 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password