Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2017 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

I bought a used cmp early this year a late 2012 3.33 12 core w/64gb ram, 4x 2tb wd red hdds, usb3 4 port pci card, it came with 512 mb nvidia gpu.

I since added not in order a sata pci card with two onboard 2.5" wd blue 1 bt ssds in raid 0, a wifi/bt4.0 pci card, my old pc version nvidia GeForce gtx680 2 go gpu, an external raid enclosure with 4 es wd red 4tb hdds it connects to the cmp using sata, it pushes 3 acre 24' lap monitors and a Wacom cintiq 13'hd right now I'll be alternating a inbound 24 touchscreen SanDisk monitor for creation uses.

I've. Not seen much problem with it I also got an older MacBook. Pro with 8 go ram and 750ish hdd it's a late 2011 model except for importing 9000 images to an external hd and it's taking a little time doing that not seen any trouble with it.

My laptop prior to these was a 17" HP DV-7 with 16gb ram and one its SanDisk ssd and one 1tb wd hdd running win 7 pro it would have moments from time to time

Jul 25, 2017 at 02:08 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

The one that you can afford as does the job you need it to do.

Me I bought a jjate. 2012 Mac Pro upgraded it to my likes and am much happier than if I would have bought a new trash can Mac I also bought a used large 2011 laptop for trave secondary location use plus I still have my old hp DV7 laptop running win 7 but I never plan to buy/build another pc system. I can always add win 7 to these machines when and if needed.

Jul 25, 2017 at 02:49 AM
melcat
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

starlights wrote:
Do you really apply patches manually to your home based computers? Whats wrong with auto updates?

Yes, I do. I only have a 4Mbps Internet connection here, so if a download were to fire up 1080p streaming would stop working. That's not my idea of the right thing in the middle of a movie. It's not tedious, because there aren't dozens of little patches like Windows, but just point updates.. I also know that the version of the C++ compiler I ran the regression tests against is the same one productiion software is built against, because I know when I took an Xcode update.

Jul 25, 2017 at 03:31 AM
John Caldwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

iMac's are the best bang for the buck at our place. Screens calibrate well, and the speed is sufficient to manage large LR catalogs and PS. I usually buy the machines used from OWC.

Jul 25, 2017 at 05:44 AM
starlights
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

melcat wrote:
Yes, I do. I only have a 4Mbps Internet connection here,

That explains. Here in the US, most people in the cities have between 25Mbps-940Mbps. I have a 150/150 so I have never given downloads a thought because of their size. I only monitor them for their content. I believe the OP is in the US.

ps: Even connecting through cell phone "4G LTE" in DC gives me between 50-60Mbps. Running multiple VMs on powerful setups is the preferred way to enhance security and functionality - however as I mentioned in my earlier post - i don't want to digress from the original topic.

Jul 25, 2017 at 08:14 AM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

Yes, keep your file on external drives that are well connected to your computer USB3, Thunderbolt. When you upgrade machines all you need do is install the applications you used and connect to your external drives.

Jul 25, 2017 at 08:49 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

ShotByTom wrote:
Never fails...geez. Go back and read the first paragraph!

I would agree on the iMac recommendation. RAM and Hard Drives are easily upgraded very reasonably. If you want to same money, go with a larger Fusion drive rather than an SSD. You can get the newest iMac for $1799, not sure what your budget is though.

The newest MacBook Pro's are really small, the 13" is almost too small for my liking.

Man, you're testy!

As a long-time Mac user (and one who currently uses them at the office and at home), I think CanadaMark has a point... though I don't come at it from a cost perspective. There was a time that the MacOS was much better than Windows, and the MacOS alone (along with the design niceties of Macs in general) made it worth it to spend a little more on well-specced machines. But I think that time is long past. The current iMacs are in need up hardware updates, the MacBook Pro line is still beautiful but no uniquely so, and the only areas where Macs truly crush their competition are in disk read-write times (they have some very impressive SSD tech).

From a UI perspective, if you live in applications like Photoshop, the OS matters less than the hardware. On the PC side, there are some interesting hardware options for artists and photographers (though my favored options aren't cheap). I recently picked up a Wacom Mobilestudio 16, which is eye-wateringly expensive but offer capability that no Mac offers - the ability to draw directly on the screen with a really sensitive stylus. I'm also very drawn to the Surface Studio (also not cheap, and a bit underpowered from a hardware perspective), because it facilitates an imaging workflow that is very intuitive and interactive. I even use my iPad pro for a lot of imaging work these days.

If you are committed to the Mac, more power to you. I still maintain a Mac for most of my writing and research, but I rarely use it for imaging tasks anymore. The hardware and interface options on the Windows side are much further ahead than on MacOS.

Jul 25, 2017 at 06:41 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

Norm Shapiro wrote:
You might also think about upgrading your hard drive on the MBP. I have an early 2011 MBP and recently swapped out the hard drive with a solid state one. I use several external drives for all my photos so I basically just have my OS and other software on the hard drive now. With the new hard drive my MBP boots up in 10/15 seconds! You should be able to convert over for well south of $500. A friend did mine and it's really a simple process, they basically take out your hard drive, put it and the
...Show more

I have done this already.....a 1 TB hybrid. Thank you.

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:55 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

schlotz wrote:
+1, the iMac 27" late 2015 is a great choice. One point, I personally would suggest getting one with only an SSD and not one with fusion drive setup. My earlier iMac had it and the fusion never impressed me in regards to speeding up app access and since the two drives are 'fused' if one dies you are SOL regardless. Better to have a 512gb SSD and then attach an external storage array. BTW have you thought about a viable backup solution?

I use Time Machine. BUT....it does not back up my images. I do that periodically myself....no problem.

I have two internal HD's in an external cradle. After so many days, so many new folders are created/saved on one HD...I manually copy those folders to the second HD.

I previously bought Carbon Copy Cloner and I do not like it.

Jul 26, 2017 at 01:03 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

ShotByTom wrote:
Never fails...geez. Go back and read the first paragraph!

I would agree on the iMac recommendation. RAM and Hard Drives are easily upgraded very reasonably. If you want to same money, go with a larger Fusion drive rather than an SSD. You can get the newest iMac for $1799, not sure what your budget is though.

The newest MacBook Pro's are really small, the 13" is almost too small for my liking.

Tom, I really do know what you mean. People often come in to a thread and derail it by ignoring the OP's request. It can be so frustrating.

But I also know Mark and he knows me. That is probably why he ventured the question. Mark is always about just trying to help out.

I go back and read your comment now and it is funny; i.e. "Never fails.....geez."...." O

Salty?

No harm done.

Robert

Edited on Jul 26, 2017 at 03:08 AM · View previous versions

Jul 26, 2017 at 01:18 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

Thank you to all for these comments. And I hope there is more discussion. Much of it is new to me. That is good because I am learning. Thanks

Jul 26, 2017 at 01:44 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

John Caldwell wrote:
iMac's are the best bang for the buck at our place. Screens calibrate well, and the speed is sufficient to manage large LR catalogs and PS. I usually buy the machines used from OWC.

I like/use OWC too. I also am leaning iMac.

Jul 26, 2017 at 01:52 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

Mr Mouse wrote:
Yes, keep your file on external drives that are well connected to your computer USB3, Thunderbolt. When you upgrade machines all you need do is install the applications you used and connect to your external drives.

At this point, I do like the simple strategy of storing images on these 6TB and 8TB internal HD's bought at OWC...and mounted in a dock externally. Why not?

Yes, this 2011 13" MBP has one Thunderbolt port that I totally rely on for moving images. It does not have USB3.

Thank you.

Jul 26, 2017 at 01:57 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

Arka wrote:
Man, you're testy!

As a long-time Mac user (and one who currently uses them at the office and at home), I think CanadaMark has a point... though I don't come at it from a cost perspective. There was a time that the MacOS was much better than Windows, and the MacOS alone (along with the design niceties of Macs in general) made it worth it to spend a little more on well-specced machines. But I think that time is long past. The current iMacs are in need up hardware updates, the MacBook Pro line is still beautiful but no uniquely
...Show more

Thank you for your comment too. I am nowhere near the knowledge you are. My lifelong professional background is nature...biology/ecology. I am now a nature photojournalist...always....more than a nature photographer.

I agree with much of the spirit of what you say here. Your last sentence is most interesting and also confusing. I have to refer back to your comment and delve into it more.

I am NOT completely sold on Mac. In fact, there are several things I do not like about Mac. I guess I will not say why at this point because it will derail the thread. Though (for same reason) I chose to not respond to Mark's question at the top of the thread......I am not dead set on Mac.

I am somewhere between the two systems and their machines and trying hard to choose the right path(s).

I use Scrivener now and also just subscribed to Word 365 for about $7 per month. Have always loved Word.

Will refer back to your comment to gain better understanding of what you are saying. Thank you.

Robert

Jul 26, 2017 at 02:09 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

CanadaMark wrote:
Are you dead set on a mac? I only ask because you said money is a consideration, and you can get a much better spec'd computer for far less money if you are willing to look elsewhere.

And now I should respond to you Mark. When I first saw this comment I thought to wait with my response because it seemed it might change the course of the thread.

But I am not dead set on Mac. As mentioned in responses to others, I am somewhere between Mac and Windows and searching for my best course. It is confusing but I am making progress.

I am going to start a thread, asking folks for their opinions of the merits of Mac vs Windows.

Thanks Mark

Jul 26, 2017 at 02:24 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

bs kite wrote:
I am going to start a thread, asking folks for their opinions of the merits of Mac vs Windows.

I am not at all sure that is a good idea....

Jul 26, 2017 at 02:30 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

And that takes care of that 15Bit

I think you may have been right.

Jul 26, 2017 at 02:49 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

Norm Shapiro wrote:
You might also think about upgrading your hard drive on the MBP. I have an early 2011 MBP and recently swapped out the hard drive with a solid state one. I use several external drives for all my photos so I basically just have my OS and other software on the hard drive now. With the new hard drive my MBP boots up in 10/15 seconds! You should be able to convert over for well south of $500. A friend did mine and it's really a simple process, they basically take out your hard drive, put it and the
...Show more

I did this too Norm on my 2011 13" MBP Also upgraded to 16 GB ram.

From now on, I will always have Solid state, internal, boot-up drives. And the largest I can afford. Current one is a 1TB

Thanks

Jul 26, 2017 at 02:54 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

I just got a new 27" iMac yesterday and stuffed it with 64 gb of ram from OWC ($649 vs. $1400 from Apple) but am still waiting for peripherals that are backordered - OWC's Thunderbolt dock and a four bay TB drive enclosure that will house two SSD's striped for scratch disk and two 6 TB drives mirrored for auto backup of working files. It'll be a couple of weeks before it's all up and running with the Eizo plugged into the display port, but a quick test of processing a 5DSR raw file in CaptureOne brought it down from 13-14 seconds on the old MacPro tower to just over one second on this. I had pretty run out of OS upgrades and that old tower wouldn't even run Resolve so it was finally time after almost nine and a half years. One note. I really hate that shitty little wireless keyboard that ships with the iMac but for $65, I ordered new old stock Apple wired extended keyboard from eBay. Slowly but surely...

Jul 26, 2017 at 03:01 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Which Mac computer option do you recommend?

bs kite wrote:
Thank you for your comment too. I am nowhere near the knowledge you are. My lifelong professional background is nature...biology/ecology. I am now a nature photojournalist...always....more than a nature photographer.

I agree with much of the spirit of what you say here. Your last sentence is most interesting and also confusing. I have to refer back to your comment and delve into it more.

I am NOT completely sold on Mac. In fact, there are several things I do not like about Mac. I guess I will not say why at this point because it will derail the thread. Though
...Show more

Happy to help, and perhaps I can clarify further. What I mean by "[t]he hardware and interface options on the Windows side are much further ahead than on MacOS" is that Apple (IMO) hasn't really been pushing the envelope on how we physically interact with our computers. Apple has always had great software that integrates well with hardware that, depending on when you are looking, is either cutting edge or very far behind. Take the MacPro line, which languishes for years without significant hardware updates but still costs far more than cutting-edge high-end Windows systems from competing big-box manufacturers. The MacBook Pro suffered a similar if less severe languishing at the hands of company that seems fixated on iOS and ARM-based devices. Despite a major redesign last year, the new systems were still shipping with older Skylake chips. It took months for Apple to update the systems and resolve battery issues that were plaguing many systems.

And as for interface, I look at products like the Microsoft Surface (Pro, Book, and Studio), Porsche Design Book One, or Wacom MobileStudio and see a much greater commitment from those manufacturers to incorporate features that artists and photographers value. Like integrated SD card readers and pen/stylus input. Apple has developed fabulous stylus technology via the iPad Pro + Pencil, and used to ship MacBook Pros with SD card readers. But it has been reluctant to bring (or in the case of SD card readers, keep) such functionality on its newer MacOS computers.

Kudos for Apple for incorporating Thunderbolt 3 and fastest-on-the-market SSDs, but for my art and photo machines, I value being able to draw on the screen far more than a few seconds shaved off my file access and save times. And to get that capability in a Mac, you have to plug in an external device... something that is not necessary on many of the interesting Windows options out there.

Jul 26, 2017 at 03:39 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.