Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Olympus f1.8 Primes with IS?

guardado1213
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Olympus f1.8 Primes with IS?

Recently purchased an Olympus Pen F with a M.Zuiko 17 f1.8 off the forum and I'm loving the kit but I was wondering if Olympus is planning to possibly to redo the f1.8 lenses to add Image stabilization into the lens? I know some of the new PRO lines lenses have IS but I thought it would be great to have the little f1.8, to keep the kit compact. I'm probably just dreaming too much....

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:42 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Olympus f1.8 Primes with IS?

Yes you are ... dreaming too much! Olympus' next lens will be the 17/1.2 and it won't be small or compact, and I would be very surprised if they include optical IS. IBIS is more than adequate for any w/a lens. Adding optical IS won't make any difference and it will only increase the size and weight of the lens, not to mention cost.

guardado1213 wrote:
Recently purchased an Olympus Pen F with a M.Zuiko 17 f1.8 off the forum and I'm loving the kit but I was wondering if Olympus is planning to possibly to redo the f1.8 lenses to add Image stabilization into the lens? I know some of the new PRO lines lenses have IS but I thought it would be great to have the little f1.8, to keep the kit compact. I'm probably just dreaming too much....

Jul 23, 2017 at 01:30 PM
millsart
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Olympus f1.8 Primes with IS?

Makes little sense to add OIS when Olympus already has the best IBIS in the business

Sync IS does add another step, which is well and good, but its only on the 12-100 and 300/4, which are both very expensive (and large) lenses.

Just doesn't really make any practical sense to go and add cost and complexity to a lens like the 17/1.8, when any Olympus body is already giving fantastic IBIS, especially for shorter focal lengths, where IBIS works its best

Since IBIS isn't quite as effective at longer lengths, having an OIS in the lenses paired with IBIS makes sense, for a wide..not so much

Jul 23, 2017 at 01:51 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.