New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Best Down and Dirty Editor for MAC

chas
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best Down and Dirty Editor for MAC

For all of my photography career, I have been a Windows based user, editing with PhotoShop on my desktop, and FastStone on my work laptop. My work laptop is a company-owned machine, so I have never installed a paid-for editor. But since I do a lot of international travel and carry my gear with me, I have always used FastStone when I travel, and really like it. Well, my employer had changed us over to MacBooks, and I am immersed in a huge learning curve for a guy in his early 60's. The Mac came with the Apple Photos app, but would like to find something as close to FastStone for use on a Mac. Can anyone point me towards a possible candidate? Thanks in advance.

Chas

Jul 23, 2017 at 03:15 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best Down and Dirty Editor for MAC

If you use Photoshop on your desktop, put the other licensed install on your new laptop. Sorry, I don't know what Faststone is, being strictly a Mac user.

Jul 23, 2017 at 03:50 PM
chas
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best Down and Dirty Editor for MAC

Jeffery, unfortunately I have CS5 in a Windows version, so not sure I can do that.

Jul 25, 2017 at 02:17 AM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best Down and Dirty Editor for MAC

Editor

Affinity Photo in Mac App Store

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/new-features/

Apple preview can display images, rotate, resize, convert images. No viewer is required

Edited on Jul 25, 2017 at 05:27 AM · View previous versions

Jul 25, 2017 at 04:29 AM
Buck1

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best Down and Dirty Editor for MAC

Photos, the app that comes with a Mac is very fast...

Jul 25, 2017 at 05:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best Down and Dirty Editor for MAC

How complex is your editing? If just basic then try out DPP for now.

I was a Windows user and switched to Mac. I had CS5 or 6. I can't remember but it was the latest version when I switched before subscription and Adobe just gave me a new licence. Not sure about these days. They will try and get you to go subscription. You can always call them as you did pay for CS5 no matter which platform you use.

I tried affinity. It is good but I was not in the mood to learn new software. LR might be a good choice as well and it is inexpensive. You are already used to ACR and it is basically the same. Just no advanced editing like layers, etc. It is DAM so there is a learning curve there.

I currently use DPP, CS6 and LR for editing depending on what I'm doing. There are other free editors out there.

Jul 25, 2017 at 05:39 AM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best Down and Dirty Editor for MAC

I think this one is still free.

http://rawtherapee.com

Jul 25, 2017 at 05:43 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best Down and Dirty Editor for MAC

rattlebonez and Buck1 are both half right.

If you are seeking a very affordable and well rounded option, using the Photos app (included macOS} along with Affinity Photo ($50 in the Mac App Store) would give you a similar option that could be roughly compared to a Lightroom/Photoshop combo. Though neither app is directly matching in all features and capabilities of their Adobe counterparts, but offer more than enough capabilities for many photographers.

The macOS Photos app is going to be much improved with the new High Sierra (macOS 13) update coming this fall.

Affinity Photo is extremely Photoshop-like in that it is a great pixel editor (including adjustment layers) as well as a layers based graphic compositing/design toolset without the bloat for all the other amenities that Ps carries for options most photographers neither need or use.

Another consideration is Macphun's Luminar ($70 Mac App Store) which is another very capable and affordable option for Mac.

Jul 25, 2017 at 05:45 AM
chas
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best Down and Dirty Editor for MAC

Thanks, I will check it out.

Jul 25, 2017 at 02:15 PM
Anupun Sra-ium

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best Down and Dirty Editor for MAC

I have tried a dozen small-footprint photo editors on Mac but have never found anything like FastStone. This may sound strange but I do really like it so much that I decided to pay for CodeWeavers CrossOver to run FastStone in Windows-emulation mode. It makes my life much easier. For raw converting or complex editing, there are several freewares like Raw Therapee or OnOne Effects and many others.

Jul 27, 2017 at 05:15 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password