Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Side lit action and the exposure dilemma

schlotz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Side lit action and the exposure dilemma

Low, yet strong sun coming in from the side and action moving in and out of the shadows. Oh, and for extra measure add in dark & white jerseys plus player complexion diversity ARGH!!! There are different metering settings that can be used but each has their own issues with this complex scenario mainly due to the action moving in & out of shadows. At the end of the day, no matter the settings, it requires some PP or at least that's what I've experienced. Curious if others have found a more workable solution.

Below is such an example of Indy Eleven's Don Smart taking over control first without and secondly after editing. At least the 1DX files contain sufficient data that allow for significant exposure adjustments

Matt

Before.....

Canon EOS-1D X    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens    400mm    f/5.6    1/1250s    800 ISO    +0.3 EV  

After PP.....

Canon EOS-1D X    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens    400mm    f/5.6    1/1250s    800 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Jul 23, 2017 at 02:27 PM
gene2632
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Side lit action and the exposure dilemma

I try going to the other side and backlighting the action to avoid the harsh sun. In and out of the shadows, not much you can do with that other than try shooting with an auto exposure mode that will react quickly.

Jul 23, 2017 at 03:09 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Side lit action and the exposure dilemma

The field, in this case, runs East to West so late sun is still an issue regardless of side. Definitely using autoISO. One thing I've also done is to add +2/3 EC when subject is in shadow. PP still required though.

Jul 23, 2017 at 08:28 PM
gene2632
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Side lit action and the exposure dilemma

If the field runs east/west and the sun sets in the west, try shooting from the east.....I know some soccer venues only allow you to shoot from the sides and not the end lines and if that is the case then you are stuck. Do the best you can to get it right from the start to minimize our PP. Hopefully you are shooting RAW, that will give you a lot more flexibility in PP work, especially opening shadows, knocking down highlights and reducing contrast.

Jul 24, 2017 at 03:51 AM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Side lit action and the exposure dilemma

I avoid the east end line as that would be right into the sun and instead take a position on the sideline approximately across from the top of the 18 yard box. Since I shoot for the team I have full access and luckily the worst part is only the first half. The sun has set enough by the beginning of the second half that the east end line is fine. Without question I'm shooting in raw, which allows the flexibility to fix in PP, re: the above example.

Agreed, I'm basically stuck having to deal with play going in and out of direct sunlight for the first half and forced to correct in PP. Oh well, it's always better to shoot soccer, regardless of conditions, than not.

Matt

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:16 PM
gene2632
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Side lit action and the exposure dilemma

Then RAW is your friend Matt. Harsh light I still say try and get a better angle for some side light or back light.

Jul 26, 2017 at 03:58 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Side lit action and the exposure dilemma

Ugh... I know. I hate it. I will be honest though Matt. I kinda like the original a little better. The PP has closed the S/H gap for sure, but it looks processed. And that bright background as a side effect is a little harsh. I'm thinking maybe somewhere between original and pp version might be the happy compromise.

Jul 27, 2017 at 03:16 AM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Side lit action and the exposure dilemma

P Alesse wrote:
Ugh... I know. I hate it. I will be honest though Matt. I kinda like the original a little better. The PP has closed the S/H gap for sure, but it looks processed. And that bright background as a side effect is a little harsh. I'm thinking maybe somewhere between original and pp version might be the happy compromise.

Agreed, it's a bit harsh on the PP. Now that I'm not under time constraints for submittal and woking on the big screen it's definitely over processed. Hard part though is trying to determine where to pull it back to and still have detail in the shadowed player. Played around a bit more, what do you think?

Matt

3. Revised PP

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mikekeating
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Side lit action and the exposure dilemma

The second PP is much better.

Agree about the horrors of side lit action. At my daughter's home games it is always side lit. I also feel your pain about only being able to shoot from certain points on the field. Seems like people always want great photos and want to put you in the worst possible places to get them

Jul 27, 2017 at 01:23 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Side lit action and the exposure dilemma

Hi Mike,

I actually have full field access. Issue is time of day, wanting to get attacking shots requiring me to be somewhere on the East half but with the field running East to West, the sun isn't in a 'cooperating' mood ARGH!!!

Jul 27, 2017 at 03:00 PM
gschlact
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Side lit action and the exposure dilemma

Matt-
Dilemma is the perfect word.
A while back I had started a similar topic/thread.

Do you mind sharing your first PP techniques? They obviously werent as good as your last attempt and appeared to almost be a simple global exposure push? Of course I could be wrong (what else is new;-) if just doing a global pp mod, I would have just tried a global shadow push.

In the end, what I have found most successful and likely even better than your last pp is the following,
If isn't too hard for us tomadjust EC with auto ISo to get a near perfect exposure like you got in your first image. Notice the highlights, sunny skin color and grass color are all excellent; leaving our brain craving for detail to want more just in the deep player face/body shadows. With examples like this, I will just do a fast Brush elevating the shadows with one or two passes on the faces and selective Jersey/body areas. Remember the second pass needs you to click the New button to get a whole additional brush elevation. Also, you might need to warm it up slightly at the same time as the shadow pp, since the shadow has a different WB. Every now and then, I might add minimal exposure push too at the same time if shadows are Really dark. This fast Brush technique will then leave the rest of the perfect exposure intact. It took way longer to type this than to do it in LR. I am in a tablet otherwise I would have done a fast attempt and posted it.

-Guy

Jul 27, 2017 at 05:13 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Side lit action and the exposure dilemma

Guy,

The original PP'd was done quickly on the fly while on the field trying to meet a deadline. Exposure, highlights, and shadows were all touched but with a heavier hand than should have been. BTW: editing in that same sunlight is not easy. This morning's pass pulled the exposure back significantly and then I worked with the brush to bring out the shadowed player's detail, similar to what you described. FYI: my bodies are set to autoISO and EC +1/3.

I'm currently experimenting with +2/3 EC while shooting under similar conditions. In the few attempts so far I've noticed it tends to blow the highlights but haven't shot enough to come to a conclusion.

Matt

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:39 PM
gschlact
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Side lit action and the exposure dilemma

If you get an 'auto'exposure result that has blow sunny highlights, but otherwise acceptable face exposure, it might not be a bad compromise. You'll have to be the judge, especially with any nuclear grass color.

Back lit shooting as someone mentioned typically doesn't alleviate dark /bright conditions. But I have found back out shooting it provide some awesome shots, with the possible drawback of some blown highlights and grass WB if you set it for the shadow WB.

My only critique of your last edit was the still elevated exposure, especially n the change of color of the grass compared to original. Hence my brush only suggestion.

Jul 28, 2017 at 05:22 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Side lit action and the exposure dilemma

Matt... how does this look?

Jul 29, 2017 at 05:10 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Side lit action and the exposure dilemma

Pretty good Paul. Definitely prefer the color balance. The lighting conditions are so tough in this scenario and even the 1DX has a difficult time providing a 'usable' image SOOC.

Jul 30, 2017 at 01:22 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password