Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Afternoon in Idaho Falls - Mesa Falls or Grand Teton?

tr1957
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Afternoon in Idaho Falls - Mesa Falls or Grand Teton?

I'm going to have a free afternoon/evening in the Idaho Falls area. This will be my first time in this part of the country. Looking through the board, one suggestion was to go up to Ashton and do the Mesa Falls scenic byway. Another was to head over towards Jackson WY and Grand Teton. Since I can only do one of these, anyone have a recommendation or a different suggestion?

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:02 AM
Darren K
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Afternoon in Idaho Falls - Mesa Falls or Grand Teton?

The Tetons are certainly nice, so I understand that being a big draw since you've never seen them. Another suggestion would be the Lost River Range around Mackay. Since you're aiming for an afternoon, the west side of the range in the Thousand Springs Valley. The east side of the range has some sweet views as well. That is an area I fell in love with in 2005, when I spent a couple days around there coming back down from the Canadian Rockies. Sadly, I haven't been back to that specific area since--but, I'm fixing that starting tomorrow, when I'm heading out and roaming around the back roads and high roads in the central part of the state for a whole week. Beautiful country (and far quieter than around Jackson, for what it's worth).

Jul 23, 2017 at 03:40 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Afternoon in Idaho Falls - Mesa Falls or Grand Teton?

id do tetons and stop at snake river brewing for dinner - not that i have done that several times at least not in summer

Jul 23, 2017 at 04:28 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Afternoon in Idaho Falls - Mesa Falls or Grand Teton?

I would drive through the Tetons also. Its your first time there, just drive through and get acquainted with it. You can always then plan a longer trip next time. But the Tetons have so much to offer, I can't image being that close and not going to see them.

Jim

Jul 23, 2017 at 06:49 AM
dalite
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Afternoon in Idaho Falls - Mesa Falls or Grand Teton?

The Tetons are great but let's be realistic: if you only have half a day to spend, driving between these two places would be out of the question. If you have a few days to spare by all means visit the Tetons.

Jul 23, 2017 at 11:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tr1957
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Afternoon in Idaho Falls - Mesa Falls or Grand Teton?

To clarify, it's one location or the other, not both. I've got about 8 hours of daylight, and both are around 2-2.5 hours from Idaho Falls. My plan would be to drive to whichever area I select and shoot late afternoon to sunset. I'm obviously going to only scratch the surface of whichever one I go to, but that's still better than nothing.

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:02 AM
Abbott Schindl
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Afternoon in Idaho Falls - Mesa Falls or Grand Teton?

For late afternoon, I'd pick Mesa Falls (both Upper and Lower), and try to visit Cove Falls as well. All three can easily be done in a day. Cove is in Yellowstone, but it's outside of the part of the park that most people visit. You'll go down several miles of dirt roads, through some scenic aspen plantings (small groves that look really nice if you work a little).

Cove might be the nicer falls for sunset if there are clouds. Both Mesa falls are in relatively shallow valleys that get shaded in late afternoon but could look wonderful if the sky cooperates. Also, Upper Mesa Falls has had nice rainbows in the falls both times I've been there (late morning).

The Tetons are fine as well, but since the park side faces east, I prefer shooting them earlier in the day unless the reflected light from the sky is interesting.

Cove Falls

Jul 24, 2017 at 08:42 AM
dalite
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Afternoon in Idaho Falls - Mesa Falls or Grand Teton?

Wow, how did I miss that place? I've driven close to Ashton several times going to West Yellowstone.

Jul 25, 2017 at 04:04 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Afternoon in Idaho Falls - Mesa Falls or Grand Teton?

That looks like Cave Falls to me. Very worthwhile.

Aug 01, 2017 at 05:08 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password