New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Lens tissue

Norm Shapiro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens tissue

I use micro fiber clothes and Kimtech wipes on my lenses and filters. But the box of Kimtech wipes is to large to carry with me in the field. Has anyone found Kimtech wipes, or a similar disposable wipe, in a small carry available package? Thanks

Jul 22, 2017 at 05:53 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens tissue

I just put some PecPads in a baggie.

Jul 22, 2017 at 06:32 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens tissue

Thanks jcolwell, that's just what I'm looking for. Have you also used their Eclipse cleaning solution? This morning I was photographing a sunrise on a bluff over the ocean. A good steady breeze with some salt air and I needed both tissue and cleaning solution to keep my lenses clean. In between exposures I cover my camera with a plastic bag, but when using long exposures I need to be able to clean periodically.

Jul 22, 2017 at 06:48 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens tissue

HAMA, or similar brands like Tiffen, have small packets.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Tiffen-Lens-Cleaning-Paper-Tissue-Pack-Of-50-Sheets-/322564779792?hash=item4b1a5bef10%3Am%3Am2fF8t8ovE4xqtuixfVIyiA&_trkparms=pageci%253A6ed4545a-6f38-11e7-956d-74dbd180fa89%257Cparentrq%253A6cb4ec4015d0a9cad5ee4c16fffb433f%257Ciid%253A2

Is that what you are looking for?

I use Eclipse - it's good.

Jul 22, 2017 at 06:50 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens tissue

Thanks Paul Mo, turns out B&H etc won't ship Eclipse, but I found a source for both the wipes and Eclipse on EBay.

Jul 22, 2017 at 07:05 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens tissue

Norm Shapiro wrote:
Thanks jcolwell, that's just what I'm looking for. Have you also used their Eclipse cleaning solution?

Yes. It's the second-last stop on my lens glass cleaning regime, just after using a soft brush, and just before using ROR, which works for really stubborn oily residue and dried water drop residue.

Jul 22, 2017 at 07:29 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens tissue

I mostly use ROR because there is usually crap on the lens that needs a surfactant. Eclipser is mostly methanol, isn't it?

EBH

Jul 22, 2017 at 08:21 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lens tissue

EB-1 wrote:
I mostly use ROR because there is usually crap on the lens that needs a surfactant. Eclipser is mostly methanol, isn't it?

EBH

Yes. I sometimes use a touch of Eclipse after using ROR, as the gunk 'removed' by the ROR can become a light, viscous surface layer that will come of with enough clean cloth to take in up, but the Eclipse eats it up (even though it couldn't touch it when it's dry).

Jul 23, 2017 at 06:16 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.