New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Extremely slow LR performance

ajamils
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Extremely slow LR performance

I've been using LR 6 (latest update) and for some reason everything has slowed down to a crawl. Any change that I make takes couple of seconds to register. If I move slider too much everything just hangs for few seconds and then start responding again. It wasn't like this before but now things are completely useless lately.

I have setup cache at 3GB and also have GPU enabled.

Here is my computer setup
- Core i7 6700K
- 16GB RAM
- Nvidia GTX 1070 Strix
- 1080p monitor

My library file is on SSD but my RAW files are on DROBO ( 3 x 2TB drives) connected via USB 3.0

My guess is that slow down is being caused by drobo but its the same setup that I have been using for over a year but it's just lately were it has become completely useless.

Any suggestions / advise?

Jul 22, 2017 at 06:23 PM
freetime101
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Extremely slow LR performance

It's not the latest update causing LR to look at the RAW files on the Drobo rather than smart previews on the SSD is it?

I've just learned about smart previews though so could be wrong

Jul 22, 2017 at 06:26 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Extremely slow LR performance

Are you writing to XMP sidecar files ? If you are and the drobo is causing the issue the constant writes to the xmp may be an issue .

You can test if it's the drobo by putting a bunch of images on your SSD and editing those . Also doing the same on a 'normal' USB 3 drive

Also as mentioned smart previews could help . LR can now use smart previews for performance when applicable

Jul 22, 2017 at 07:53 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Extremely slow LR performance

What are the transfer rates and IOPS on the DROBO?
Perhaps it is degraded.

EBH

Jul 22, 2017 at 09:26 PM
ajamils
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Extremely slow LR performance

Just checked, it is using smart previews, not the original files.
freetime101 wrote:
It's not the latest update causing LR to look at the RAW files on the Drobo rather than smart previews on the SSD is it?

I've just learned about smart previews though so could be wrong

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:31 AM
ajamils
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Extremely slow LR performance

EB-1 wrote:
What are the transfer rates and IOPS on the DROBO?
Perhaps it is degraded.

EBH

It's showing 0. How do i get that info to populate?

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:59 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Extremely slow LR performance

I don't know. I use Crystal.

EBH

Jul 23, 2017 at 01:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

adamx12m
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Extremely slow LR performance

My first thought is USB 3 is the issue. LR always has something going on in develop mode with disk access, especially if no previews were pre-built. Create a 2nd catalog on your local SSD and compare the speed differences. I can say that accessing LR files over a 1gb ethernet to a synology NAS is definitely slower for editing, definitely not something I do often vs editing on local ssd.

Windows Resource Monitor can break down all the disk activity by process, easy to see LR and whatever else is competing for disk I/O. I never see LR ever pushing a local SSD's throughput capacity, but other apps like spyware and anti-virus do contribute to overall cpu & i/o resources used.

Jul 23, 2017 at 01:35 PM
ajamils
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Extremely slow LR performance

Unchecking the GPU processing option did improve the performance quite a bit. It is at least usable now.

Jul 23, 2017 at 06:33 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Extremely slow LR performance

It won't hurt to put your ACR cache on the SSD. Lr will always try to use the ACR cache when editing raw files in the Develop module and even when browsing them in the Develop module.

I was very unimpressed with my drobo 5d. Whether USB 3 or thunderbolt 1, it was so slow. I could write stuff out to two single HDDs much faster than the drobo could do its thing.

- Alan

Jul 24, 2017 at 01:25 PM
mikeengles
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Extremely slow LR performance

Hello
I tried a pretty powerful GPU processor, with my setup and came to the conclusion that using GPU is pretty well useless. I returned the processor and kept my very basic one.
Also I try to keep the files that I am working on on the drives in the machine,
I use Lightroom 6.8 standalone because it works best for me as I still use a Canon 5D3, so do not need updates
MDE

Aug 02, 2017 at 10:23 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Extremely slow LR performance

Make sure you don't have face detection switched on.

Aug 09, 2017 at 02:23 PM
frdjohns
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Extremely slow LR performance

I have found that if you are working on many images, enabling lens corrections really slows down LR in the develop module. You don't notice in the first few images, but if you are working on dozens or hundreds, it becomes apparent.

I don't always use the lens correction feature, but if I do - I save that for near last. I do everything else first to the images, and then apply lens correction near the end of my process. This really helps speed LR up.

Aug 09, 2017 at 03:49 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password