New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · South Rim Grand Canyon

level1photog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · South Rim Grand Canyon

I'm doing a small road trip from LA to South Rim Grand Canyon to Vegas trip late August.

I'm thinking of doing sunrise at Yaki point and looking for a sunset location maybe Lipan Point. Perhaps Desert Watch tower and do some astrophotography there as well. Any other recommendation? Any sand dune nearby or other attraction on the way to GC?

I'll be visiting Red Rock Canyon and Valley of Fire as well near Vegas. Always a favorite of mine.

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:53 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · South Rim Grand Canyon

I would say your plans for the Grand Canyon are perfect. Those are the spots I typically shoot from.

Jim

Jul 23, 2017 at 01:50 AM
erielake
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · South Rim Grand Canyon

Lipan and Desert View are great sunset locations....looking east and west you get the river in both directions and there's also some nice dead/bare junipers for foreground objects....if you can get up early and catch the first hermit rd shuttle Mohave Point and the trail to the Abyss are great for sunrise

Jul 23, 2017 at 11:06 AM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · South Rim Grand Canyon

erielake wrote:
Lipan and Desert View are great sunset locations....looking east and west you get the river in both directions and there's also some nice dead/bare junipers for foreground objects....if you can get up early and catch the first hermit rd shuttle Mohave Point and the trail to the Abyss are great for sunrise

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know if I can wake up early enough and go on a hike. Just looking for a quick and scenic sunrise that I can use my car instead of the shuttle

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:17 PM
znikon5
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · South Rim Grand Canyon

I'm on also going to be on South Rim and hoping for one good sunrise and one good sunset location. Are the hotels in Tusayan close enough to get into park at opening? Google maps has it at 15 minutes to park entrance.

Aug 16, 2017 at 01:45 PM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · South Rim Grand Canyon

znikon5 wrote:
I'm on also going to be on South Rim and hoping for one good sunrise and one good sunset location. Are the hotels in Tusayan close enough to get into park at opening? Google maps has it at 15 minutes to park entrance.

The South Rim is open 24/7 but the ranger station is only intermittently staffed that early in the morning. If you are worried about time constraints, purchase a parking pass in advance and you can drive right through. Most of the Points have their own lots that you can park at.. Only park in the Visitors Center lot if you wish to stay in Mather Point, otherwise, you're looking at a 20-60 minute walk in darkness to get to the other points such as Yavapai, Yaki etc.

Aug 16, 2017 at 04:15 PM
znikon5
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · South Rim Grand Canyon

mdude85 wrote:
The South Rim is open 24/7 but the ranger station is only intermittently staffed that early in the morning. If you are worried about time constraints, purchase a parking pass in advance and you can drive right through. Most of the Points have their own lots that you can park at.. Only park in the Visitors Center lot if you wish to stay in Mather Point, otherwise, you're looking at a 20-60 minute walk in darkness to get to the other points such as Yavapai, Yaki etc.

Thanks so much for the info. Other thing I was wondering is at these points, such as Yaki, Lipan, do you have to do a short hike to get to optimal viewing or is there an observation deck where most of the photogs setup? Is it pretty easy to walk around the site and get a good vantage point? Thank you.

Aug 17, 2017 at 08:45 AM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · South Rim Grand Canyon

znikon5 wrote:
Thanks so much for the info. Other thing I was wondering is at these points, such as Yaki, Lipan, do you have to do a short hike to get to optimal viewing or is there an observation deck where most of the photogs setup? Is it pretty easy to walk around the site and get a good vantage point? Thank you.

You can check Google Maps to see what points have parking areas directly at the observation points. Most have parking right next to the observation point. That's where most people will be but depending on the point you may see people further away. Once you get there you'll see... there is really no bad vantage point.

If you're feeling very intrepid some points even have trails that go all the way down to the Canyon floor. Getting down is not the big problem, it's getting back up that's the hard part.

Aug 17, 2017 at 01:39 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.