FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

App or Program to bring in files from the cards

Abbott Schindl
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · App or Program to bring in files from the cards

Jeffrey wrote:
There's no need to reformat the card repeatedly. A waste of time. Simply drag the files from it and then delete the files from the card. Game over.

Sounds like you're deleting the files using your computer.

Well, maybe erasing in-camera is a waste of time for you, but absolutely not for me. This has been a topic of numerous threads on FM and other forums and written about in other places. I've never had a problem when erasing a card in-camera, I never have to worry about an OS messing a card up by deleting it incorrectly, don't have to think about "did I remember to empty the Trash before ejecting the card", never had anything bad happen in almost 20 years of doing what I do. Great if what you do works for you, and I hope your "drag it off" method continues to work for you, but I've seen sufficient evidence on both client cameras and on the general Internet to feel like just sticking with my "after downloading and saving to at least two places, erase the card in the camera" method.

And erasing, at least in my cameras, takes a few seconds. Even low-level reformatting a 64-GB SD or CF card takes less than a minute. Not a biggie for me. Do what you feel comfortable doing.

Jul 26, 2017 at 04:13 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · App or Program to bring in files from the cards

Abbott Schindl wrote:
Sounds like you're deleting the files using your computer.

Well, maybe erasing in-camera is a waste of time for you, but absolutely not for me. This has been a topic of numerous threads on FM and other forums and written about in other places. I've never had a problem when erasing a card in-camera, I never have to worry about an OS messing a card up by deleting it incorrectly, don't have to think about "did I remember to empty the Trash before ejecting the card", never had anything bad happen in almost 20 years of doing what I do.
...Show more

This topic is just not a big deal. I erase in computer because I use a card reader to download. If you don't do that, then do it in camera. It doesn't matter. My comment was only that you do not have to re=format every time.

Jul 26, 2017 at 04:43 PM
butchM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · App or Program to bring in files from the cards

Jeffrey wrote:
This topic is just not a big deal. I erase in computer because I use a card reader to download. If you don't do that, then do it in camera. It doesn't matter. My comment was only that you do not have to re=format every time.

I have been shooting digital in a professional workflow for nearly 18 years. I always use a card reader and never format the card in the computer ... always in-camera. On Nikon DSLRs, it is a two-button push to invoke formatting and I have never experienced an issue doing so. And no, it isn't necessary to format a card every time it is used.

My method is neither right or wrong, it is what it is. Each user can work out their own details. That said, I have had employees and/or sub contractors and a couple of clients that had issues with cards that were not formatted properly by the computer that last ingested images from same. Formatting the cards in-camera after ingest solved the issue.

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:39 PM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password