New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

App or Program to bring in files from the cards

Peter Gregg
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · App or Program to bring in files from the cards

Just got a new iMac - first Mac since the Mac Plus and Mac SE lol.

What programs or apps are popular for the Mac that would do something like Breezebrowser DownLoader Pro or FlashPipe. Neither of those are for Macs. This is for large amounts of files 2-3 thousand on many cards from an event or wedding.

Thanks,
Peter

Jul 22, 2017 at 01:50 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · App or Program to bring in files from the cards

Photo Mechanic 5?

http://www.camerabits.com/downloads/

Jul 22, 2017 at 05:33 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · App or Program to bring in files from the cards

I use Lightroom debut I have photo mechanic and another that I use before both but current version then you have several others onone photo, capture one and the software that came with your camera

Jul 22, 2017 at 07:55 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · App or Program to bring in files from the cards

No app or program needed. Never needed one in nearly 25 years. Simply drag the files off the card and into whatever folder you want to store them in. Bingo.

Jul 22, 2017 at 03:49 PM
Abbott Schindl
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · App or Program to bring in files from the cards

Your Mac came with Photos and should be opening Photos by default when you insert a card. Photos is a decent editor, but its organization capabilities are VERY limited: you're basically stuck with viewing photos by date or "event". You should give Photos a try if you don't have other programs.

Look at this thread, which is very similar to the one you just started:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1500378

Jul 22, 2017 at 04:29 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · App or Program to bring in files from the cards

Jeffrey wrote:
No app or program needed. Never needed one in nearly 25 years. Simply drag the files off the card and into whatever folder you want to store them in. Bingo.

That's really not the same as Breeze Downloader that will make two or three simultaneous copies and has numerous other options to rename and organize files in folders by a large number of different EXIF attributes. (I was in the Serengeti years ago and the batteries were running out after the second manual copy. Then I found the Breeze Downloader and it vastly improved the workflow.)

I recall that Photo Mechanic has some similar features to the Breeze Browser and Downloader.

EBH

Jul 22, 2017 at 04:51 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · App or Program to bring in files from the cards

I just do the same as Jeffrey - using Finder to move the files into the Downloads folder. I shoot either Nikons or a Panny GX85, and the free Nikon software allows me to cull those images and rename both raw & jpg at the same time (plus see focus points, and etc.).

I then move the kept and renamed ones into various folders - again using Finder.

I don't claim that my workflow is really workable...

Jul 22, 2017 at 07:28 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · App or Program to bring in files from the cards

Yeah no app needed .

I copy / paste the images using finder to the destination I want and then import into LR using the ADD command (rather than copy or move) . Using add is near instant for a whole load of images .
I found that doing it this way was a lot faster than doing the entire import within LR

Jul 22, 2017 at 08:01 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · App or Program to bring in files from the cards

Abbott Schindl wrote:
Your Mac came with Photos and should be opening Photos by default when you insert a card. Photos is a decent editor, but its organization capabilities are VERY limited: you're basically stuck with viewing photos by date or "event". You should give Photos a try if you don't have other programs.

Look at this thread, which is very similar to the one you just started:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1500378

Photos only opens upon a card insertion if you set it up to do that. If you don't, and prefer an app like Bridge or Lightroom to sort image files, then Photos won't bother you..

Jul 22, 2017 at 08:47 PM
Peter Gregg
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · App or Program to bring in files from the cards

Thanks guys - appreciate the help.

Looks like Photo Mechanic is something I am looking for. I need a little more power than the generic stuff can do.

I personally use the Nikon/Canon/GH5 systems. Plus I organize using separate folders and subfolders by CalDate-camera-EventName. On the PC the name of the folder automatically reflects that upon ingestion and the back-ups are also automatically made to a multiple of locations.

Thanks for the input

Peter

Jul 22, 2017 at 08:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · App or Program to bring in files from the cards

EB-1 wrote:
That's really not the same as Breeze Downloader that will make two or three simultaneous copies and has numerous other options to rename and organize files in folders by a large number of different EXIF attributes. (I was in the Serengeti years ago and the batteries were running out after the second manual copy. Then I found the Breeze Downloader and it vastly improved the workflow.)

I recall that Photo Mechanic has some similar features to the Breeze Browser and Downloader.

EBH

EB, I suppose that app will do more stuff for you just fine, but personally, I don't need those features. For me it's a simple need: After a shoot or a day out, I copy from card to an appropriate folder, and then bring it up in Bridge and sort. I sort by year/month location. It has been working fine like that for almost 25 years.

Jul 22, 2017 at 08:52 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · App or Program to bring in files from the cards

I'm afraid to open Photos as it may take over everything...

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:18 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · App or Program to bring in files from the cards

rw11 wrote:
I'm afraid to open Photos as it may take over everything...

Ha, ha, ha. There's some truth to that.

Jul 23, 2017 at 05:22 AM
dugaut
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · App or Program to bring in files from the cards

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

I use mac and pc and I prefer breeze browser but I think it's pc only

so I use photo mechanic on the mac

Jul 23, 2017 at 09:26 AM
Abbott Schindl
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · App or Program to bring in files from the cards

Jeffrey wrote:
Photos only opens upon a card insertion if you set it up to do that. If you don't, and prefer an app like Bridge or Lightroom to sort image files, then Photos won't bother you..

When did Apple change this? In both Yosemite and El Capitan, the OS insisted on opening Photos whenever a card was inserted until I permanently killed the launch daemon. Setting various preferences and other fixes didn't stick. I haven't tried it in Sierra, since the daemon hasn't raised its head again.

Jul 24, 2017 at 04:47 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · App or Program to bring in files from the cards

Abbott Schindl wrote:
In both Yosemite and El Capitan, the OS insisted on opening Photos whenever a card was inserted until I permanently killed the launch daemon. Setting various preferences and other fixes didn't stick. I haven't tried it in Sierra, since the daemon hasn't raised its head again.

Clearly, you're not into Apple-think as much as they want you to be

Jul 24, 2017 at 02:25 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · App or Program to bring in files from the cards

Abbott Schindl wrote:
When did Apple change this? In both Yosemite and El Capitan, the OS insisted on opening Photos whenever a card was inserted until I permanently killed the launch daemon. Setting various preferences and other fixes didn't stick. I haven't tried it in Sierra, since the daemon hasn't raised its head again.

Yes, with a new computer or card, Photos WILL open upon insertion. Then you unckeck the little box near the top left of the app page which asks you if you want Photos to open whenever this device is connected. It must open once, then you can stop it. Same for cameras plugged directly to your Mac.

Jul 24, 2017 at 08:24 PM
robgo2
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · App or Program to bring in files from the cards

Peter Gregg wrote:
Thanks guys - appreciate the help.

Looks like Photo Mechanic is something I am looking for. I need a little more power than the generic stuff can do.

I personally use the Nikon/Canon/GH5 systems. Plus I organize using separate folders and subfolders by CalDate-camera-EventName. On the PC the name of the folder automatically reflects that upon ingestion and the back-ups are also automatically made to a multiple of locations.

Thanks for the input

Peter

As you will see, PM can be put to many uses beyond importing. It is a very powerful browser.

Rob

Jul 25, 2017 at 05:18 AM
Abbott Schindl
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · App or Program to bring in files from the cards

Jeffrey wrote:
Yes, with a new computer or card, Photos WILL open upon insertion. Then you unckeck the little box near the top left of the app page which asks you if you want Photos to open whenever this device is connected. It must open once, then you can stop it. Same for cameras plugged directly to your Mac.

Sounds like maybe nothing's changed. When reformat a card in the camera, does the computer still think it's a "new card" when you insert it? That's the problem with Photos auto-launch: as long as you always upload by connecting the camera, iPhone, etc., to the computer, the device is always recognized and you can get Photos to not launch on subsequent connections. But if you upload by inserting cards into the computer or a card reader and then reformat the card in the camera, the Mac's been identifying the freshly formatted card as a new device and launching Photos each time.

There were lots of complaints about this behavior when Photos was introduced in Yosemite, but workarounds, including permanently killing the launch daemon via Terminal commands, came out fairly quickly and I haven't seen many complaints lately.

Jul 25, 2017 at 01:58 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · App or Program to bring in files from the cards

Abbott Schindl wrote:
Sounds like maybe nothing's changed. When reformat a card in the camera, does the computer still think it's a "new card" when you insert it? That's the problem with Photos auto-launch: as long as you always upload by connecting the camera, iPhone, etc., to the computer, the device is always recognized and you can get Photos to not launch on subsequent connections. But if you upload by inserting cards into the computer or a card reader and then reformat the card in the camera, the Mac's been identifying the freshly formatted card as a new device and launching Photos
...Show more

There's no need to reformat the card repeatedly. A waste of time. Simply drag the files from it and then delete the files from the card. Game over.

Jul 25, 2017 at 03:18 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password