Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Now I know what's it like to be on the other side of wedd...

jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Now I know what's it like to be on the other side of wedding photos

My youngest daugher was married last month. She hired a local gal (who I didn't know but my daughter likes her style). Long story short, the lady got pregnant and her due date was the day after my daughters wedding. So she hired two other ladies to shoot the wedding.

The other ladies did a pretty good job of capturing the day. Lots and lots of detail photos (to the extreme!) However there few things that bothered me. They never captured a single image of my wife and my daughter in a candid moment. Even the shots of my wife zipping up my daughters dress, all you can see is my wife from behind. No big deal since the video guy did a great job of captureing this moment. They also only carried one camera each, so there is a lack of cu and ws during certain moments. Again, no biggie.

The only thing that does bother me is that many of the images are overexposed, as this is the "stlye" of the original hired photograher. I guess the "blown out look" is in vogue these days.

I will be creating an album for my daughter but I'm leary about how these images are going to reproduce. I've posted two examples below....the original blown out photo and my go at re-editing it to try and preserve some of the image.

I'm interesed in your thoughts as to which image will look better in printed form. Just so you know, the original photographer has given her blessing to me to re-edit any of the photos.

Original

My edit

Edited on Jul 21, 2017 at 07:33 PM · View previous versions

Jul 21, 2017 at 07:19 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Now I know what's it like to be on the other side of wedding photos

Looks like someone just bought Mastin Portra Pushed pack

Jul 21, 2017 at 07:30 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Now I know what's it like to be on the other side of wedding photos

ZachOly wrote:

I have no idea of who or what that is

Jul 21, 2017 at 07:32 PM
gnjphotography
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Now I know what's it like to be on the other side of wedding photos

Is that a mannequin arm on left? 😂

Will the photog give you the raws to work with? Looks like they used some presets that already pushed the images.
If not then your edit definitely looks better, but that arm is pretty glaring. If you crop it out, you loose the guy in the back.

-Greg

Jul 21, 2017 at 07:49 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Now I know what's it like to be on the other side of wedding photos

gnjphotography wrote:
Is that a mannequin arm on left? 😂

Will the photog give you the raws to work with? Looks like they used some presets that already pushed the images.
If not then your edit definitely looks better, but that arm is pretty glaring. If you crop it out, you loose the guy in the back.

-Greg

I'm not going to ask the photog for the raw files. I'll work with what she gave us. I don't know if I'll even use this image or not, it was just one that I pulled up to see if I could improve upon it.

Jul 21, 2017 at 08:07 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Now I know what's it like to be on the other side of wedding photos

Who shot it ?

Jul 21, 2017 at 08:49 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Now I know what's it like to be on the other side of wedding photos

jmraso wrote:
Who shot it ?

Not going to say.

Jul 21, 2017 at 09:32 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Now I know what's it like to be on the other side of wedding photos

jcolman wrote:
I have no idea of who or what that is

It's a preset from Mastin Labs. Narrows the dynamic range, saturates the skintones.

In any event, if you have the RAWs just edit them yourself?

Jul 21, 2017 at 09:45 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Now I know what's it like to be on the other side of wedding photos

ZachOly wrote:
It's a preset from Mastin Labs. Narrows the dynamic range, saturates the skintones.

In any event, if you have the RAWs just edit them yourself?

I don't have the raw files so I'll work with the jpegs. Besides once the highlights ate blown you can't get them back.

Edited on Jul 21, 2017 at 10:03 PM · View previous versions

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:02 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Now I know what's it like to be on the other side of wedding photos

The original exposure looks like someone who doesn't have a clue what they are doing. Managing to blow out a grey suit in an instance when most meters would underexpose takes skill.

Are nuclear highlights the new crushed-blacks-that-are-grey?

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Now I know what's it like to be on the other side of wedding photos

Mark_L wrote:
The original exposure looks like someone who doesn't have a clue what they are doing.

I wouldn't go that far.

Half the problem here is the preset (Mastin Portra 400 +1). Anyone who's used this knows it's unforgiving in this kind of lighting.

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:15 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Now I know what's it like to be on the other side of wedding photos

ZachOly wrote:

Are you spammin' for this guy? You've mentioned this like 5 times in multiple threads in the past week.

JC, you're edit looks far better.

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:26 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Now I know what's it like to be on the other side of wedding photos

We're a salty bunch today

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:28 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Now I know what's it like to be on the other side of wedding photos

jcolman wrote:
My youngest daugher was married last month. She hired a local gal (who I didn't know but my daughter likes her style). Long story short, the lady got pregnant and her due date was the day after my daughters wedding. So she hired two other ladies to shoot the wedding.

The other ladies did a pretty good job of capturing the day. Lots and lots of detail photos (to the extreme!) However there few things that bothered me. They never captured a single image of my wife and my daughter in a candid moment. Even the shots of my wife zipping
...Show more

That's really bad, I sure hope there are not too many like that.

Oh the photographing of details, that comes from looking at wedding blogs and doing staged weddings.

When did the original photographer let your daughter know that she was not going to make it? Did she let your daughter have any input on who the replacement shooters would be?

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:53 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Now I know what's it like to be on the other side of wedding photos

ZachOly wrote:
I wouldn't go that far.

Half the problem here is the preset (Mastin Portra 400 +1). Anyone who's used this knows it's unforgiving in this kind of lighting.

We can only evaluate the finished product and what includes whatever she did/did not do in post.

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:58 PM
Ltgk20

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Now I know what's it like to be on the other side of wedding photos

While I don't go for the blown out look, I guess the real question is does your daughter like them? It sounds like the stand-ins shot in the style of the original photographer and this is what your daughter wanted.

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:38 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Now I know what's it like to be on the other side of wedding photos

Ltgk20 wrote:
While I don't go for the blown out look, I guess the real question is does your daughter like them? It sounds like the stand-ins shot in the style of the original photographer and this is what your daughter wanted.

Exactly. This is the look she wanted. Which is fine. I'm just concerned about printing these images.

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:55 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Now I know what's it like to be on the other side of wedding photos

MRomine wrote:

Oh the photographing of details, that comes from looking at wedding blogs and doing staged weddings.

When did the original photographer let your daughter know that she was not going to make it? Did she let your daughter have any input on who the replacement shooters would be?

My daughter explicitly said that she wanted lots of detail photos and they did a good job getting them. The original photographer told my daughter about two months prior to the wedding that she was going to have her associates shoot the wedding. Plus she discounted her fee by $800 so it's all good.

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:58 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Now I know what's it like to be on the other side of wedding photos

MRomine wrote:

Most of the photos are exposed better than the example I posted. But the photographers obviously exposed for skin tones on all the photos. Fortunately, the venue is a bright one with lots of windows so they did not have to deal with adding any extra light excpet for a few shots during the reception.
My daughter explicitly said that she wanted lots of detail photos and they did a good job getting them. The original photographer told my daughter about two months prior to the wedding that she was going to have her associates shoot the wedding. But no, my daughter did not have any input but she trusted the original photograpeher to select good people. My daugher is very happy, for the most part, with the images. Plus she discounted her fee by $800 so it's all good.

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:58 PM
GumaRodak

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Now I know what's it like to be on the other side of wedding photos

Dont tell your daughter what you think if she like the pictures. Otherwise it can happen, that she will end up with memory, that her wedding pictures are bad...

Jul 22, 2017 at 12:41 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password