FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Lens cleaning cloths

Keiththom
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens cleaning cloths

This warning from HOYA got me to wondering:

Warning: HOYA does not recommend using the standard fabric "lens cleaning cloths" with any liquid because dust and grid can become trapped in the fibers and damage the lens or filter on subsequent uses.

Would it be better not to use those standard micro fiber cloths to clean expensive lenses? I can certainly see the argument for dirt becoming entrapped in the cloth. and next, are the disposable tissue's made for cleaning glasses, appropriate for lenses?

Jul 21, 2017 at 03:05 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens cleaning cloths

I use a microfiber cloth. Looks like a towel. Periodically, I throw it away and get a new one. Mine come from Sam's Club and are called auto detailing cloths.

Jul 21, 2017 at 04:45 PM
Abbott Schindl
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens cleaning cloths

They're probably being justifiably cautious. Grit can become trapped in any mf cloth; a wet cloth may retain more grit, and the wetness may make it easier for grit to get lodged deeper into the cloth. I've never had this happen, though, perhaps because I follow an ages-old cleaning routine:
- Use a RocketBlower to get the "boulders" off;
- Use a soft, clean brush to get remaining large particles off;
- Use either a mf cloth or a LensPen to remove filmy contaminants.
- I only rarely use a small drop of clean water (not a dampened cloth) if the above don't do the job.

I use a number of mf cloths ranging from really fine ones made for lenses to relatively coarse (but still soft), longer-fiber multipurpose cloths (the yellow ones Costco sells in their auto isle).

I haven't noticed my process creating scratches on any lens in 50 or so years.

Jul 21, 2017 at 05:05 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens cleaning cloths

I don't clean my lenses too much because they have filters on almost all of the time. I use 3M microfiber cleaning cloths and Zeiss lens cleaner fluid when necessary. The cleaning cloths are machine washable with other non-linting articles. So far absolutely no problems with even my oldest Leica lenses.

Jul 21, 2017 at 06:14 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens cleaning cloths

In the field, I use microfibre cloths and breath, or T-shirt and breath, on my lenses (generally without filters). If I get a CP or ND filter dirty or spotted in the field, I won't hesitate to use a microfibre cloth and breath (or cleaning spray, if I have it), but I won't "go to town" on it, and so maybe scratch it with a less than perfect cloth.

At home, I generally use PecPads and Eclipse fluid (for a simple cleaning).

Jul 21, 2017 at 06:37 PM
Keiththom
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens cleaning cloths

I'm a bit torn on filters. I've mostly used them in the past, but more and more I'm starting to get away from them. I just received the new Nikon 105 1.4 for instance and it does not have a filter. I hate the thought of degrading the images due to a filter, on the other hand, the lenses that have filters almost never need cleaning.

Jul 21, 2017 at 06:39 PM
Keiththom
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens cleaning cloths

jcolwell wrote:
In the field, I use microfibre cloths and breath, or T-shirt and breath, on my lenses (generally without filters). If I get a CP or ND filter dirty or spotted in the field, I won't hesitate to use a microfibre cloth and breath (or cleaning spray, if I have it), but I won't "go to town" on it, and so maybe scratch it with a less than perfect cloth.

T-shirt

Jul 21, 2017 at 06:41 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lens cleaning cloths

jcolwell wrote:

Keiththom wrote:
T-shirt

Better than grass and twigs, or seaweed and sand, when that's all you got.

Jul 21, 2017 at 06:44 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lens cleaning cloths

I use microfiber cloths all the time.
Although like Jim, at home or in a hotel, I break out the PEC pads and Eclipse. Prior to using any cloth, I first use a blower, then a soft brush, and inspect for any sand or grit still on the lens.
I try not to clean my lens in the field as I'm not as careful ensuring there is no grit on the lens which can scratch the front element.

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:53 PM
Keiththom
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lens cleaning cloths

I think I'm going to give these a try https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1100350-REG/zeiss_2127721_60_count_box_lens.html

Jul 22, 2017 at 12:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lens cleaning cloths

I've been "degrading" my images for so many years it just doesn't matter with my chosen "protective" filters. no chemistry sets though in use for cleaning them.

my cleaning rag of choice has been for the past 18 years has been the microdear which I first got in Japan in 1990 or so. I believe they are getable at adorama these days. use it hand wash it use it.

Jul 22, 2017 at 12:09 AM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lens cleaning cloths

There is dust and there is dirt and there are water spots. With dirt I use a brush to remove it from the lens and then use the microfiber cloth to finish cleaning the lens. With water spots if they have taken a set I will make a weak solution with some vinegar to remove them.

I am now buying packages of 6 microfiber cloths for $7 and so I also treat them as disposable cloths rather than trying to clean them and reuse them.

People have been using microfiber cloths to clean lenses for at least the past 28 years without concerns on the part of the users. The first place these were used was on very expensive optics in the lab where the cost of replacement is far higher than almost any lens.

My attention is focused on minimizing dirt on the front element by keeping the lenses protected and using hoods and lens caps, and in extreme situations using a UV filter on the lens. Dirt on the front element of a lens for me is an extremely rare occurrence and I am shooting outdoors a great deal.

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:20 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lens cleaning cloths

i use a giottos blower, and then use Zeiss lens wipes. Been using this combo the last 8 years. Before that, it was the blower and a lens pen and microfibre

Jul 23, 2017 at 03:12 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lens cleaning cloths

Keiththom wrote:
I think I'm going to give these a try https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1100350-REG/zeiss_2127721_60_count_box_lens.html

Walmart has boxes of 200 for about the same price. I have been told CVS is a bit less.

Jul 24, 2017 at 06:14 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lens cleaning cloths

I rely on my t-shirts as well - on lenses and in case I have to clean a filter.

When I disassemble lenses or have very precious ones I use very soft ~100 times washed and thinned over the years t-shirts.
For normal lenses from Samyang 14 to Canon 400mm/2.8 I use the t-shirt I wear at the moment - as long as it is not on the beach or it is wet.

Jul 26, 2017 at 07:58 AM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lens cleaning cloths

Keiththom wrote:

I use these when I need a wet wipe on a lens or filter. I actually like them quite a bit. You should still blow the larger stuff off before using those wipes. Sams Club sells 200 for $7.50

As for t shirts it depends on the shirt. I won't use a cotton shirt but I rarely wear cotton. I wear a lot of high end outdoor clothing which is made of blends that are much better than cotton. I will use a patagonia shirt in the field if I need to clean a drop of water or something.

Jul 26, 2017 at 09:44 AM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Lens cleaning cloths

Whatever you do, stay away from designated "lens cleaning" cloth. You are likely to pay 3-5x more time than for an equivalent item intended for the general market.

I personally carry two Packtowl nano's, practically the only time they come out is when shooting around moisture. More expensive than necessary, but I like that they have a large area and fold down to next to nothing.

I also carry one microfiber towel from Costco which is bulkier but with higher water absorbency for when I shoot around really heavy splash. The nano's get saturated pretty quickly around waterfalls or in the rain.

Jul 29, 2017 at 07:36 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Lens cleaning cloths

Call me crazy, but I actually prefer Tiffen lens tissue, which appears to be the exact same product as the old Kodak lens tissues. Never ever a problem with grit as you're always using new ones. Sometimes I even take the Tiffen tissues out of their packaging and put them in the old Kodak sleeves, just to make me feel that much better.

Jul 29, 2017 at 08:21 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Lens cleaning cloths

Keiththom wrote:

The Zeiss lens cloths are designed for Zeiss eye-glass lenses and not for photography lenses. Personally, I wouldn't use them because I don't know what chemicals are in these cloths and how they might react with lens coatings.

I use PecPads and Eclipse fluid only and I don't use microfibre cloths at all. Just me....

Jul 31, 2017 at 09:03 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Lens cleaning cloths

did Zeiss say their lens cloths are designed for Zeiss eye-glass lenses and not for photography lenses?

or else, where did you hear/see this?

B&H and Amazon think they are for all Zeiss optics and specifically mention camera lenses...

Jul 31, 2017 at 09:47 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password