Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Photoshop manuals - which one?

billsamuels
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photoshop manuals - which one?

I just returned from a 2 week trip in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming and got some great shots of wildlife, landscapes, and macro. I want to process the photos a bit differently than usual using Photoshop so they look a little more professional than in past years so I've been trying to use Photoshop, but I've come to the conclusion that I really can't figure out Photoshop! I have the Photoshop bible book and some other cheapo book, but now I want a good hands-on book that will teach me how to use the more complex things in Photoshop like layers and changing backgrounds, turning backgrounds completely dark, etc. That involves a lot in layering which I just can't figure out.

What is a good easy-to-understand book on Photoshop CC?

I heard that "Adobe Photoshop CC for Photographers" by Martin Evenings is excellent, in part because he worked for Adobe writing a lot of the Photoshop program.

I also heard that Scott Kelby is a great author as well as a photographer, and he has a book entitled "The Adobe Photoshop CC Book for Digital Photographers" BUT when you read the reviews, a lot of people really don't like the book and say that his older Photoshop book is better, even though it doesn't cover Photoshop CC.

Any thoughts on how to learn at home Photoshop CC without getting too frustrated?
Thanks.

Jul 20, 2017 at 06:56 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photoshop manuals - which one?

I would suggest you acquire an understanding of layer masks and luminosity masks, both of which have aided my PS work immensely. Unfortunately, I've learned what I know in bits and pieces (trial and error) and so I can't recommend a book or other resource from first-hand experience. I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions.

Good luck and have fun.

Jul 20, 2017 at 07:41 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photoshop manuals - which one?

Ho1972 wrote:
I would suggest you acquire an understanding of layer masks and luminosity masks, both of which have aided my PS work immensely. Unfortunately, I've learned what I know in bits and pieces (trial and error) and so I can't recommend a book or other resource from first-hand experience. I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions.

Good luck and have fun.

thanks for the comments. I have a good idea what I want do do with many of these photos to make them better, I just can't get Photoshop to do what I want it to do. On one of the wolf photos, I want to further blur the background so that the eye concentrates on the two white wolves who are playing with one another, but the background is a bit annoying. I am doing what the book I have says what to do but it's not a good step by step guide so after an evening of failure, I have nothing! That's where I hope one of these types of books can help.

Take a look at the photo below - the photo of the P. falcon is a nice photo, but the background really takes away from the bird. This is one of many photos with a poor background (dark, light, busy, etc), so I'm hoping Photoshop can eliminate this, but I have to learn how!!!

Peregrine Falcon photo taken around Yellowstone but the background & lighting is awful!!!

Jul 20, 2017 at 09:48 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photoshop manuals - which one?

I would join kelbyone the old napp they have many course all free to use as much as you want as ;long as your a paid up member

Jul 22, 2017 at 02:57 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photoshop manuals - which one?

If you join one of the online sites like Kelby's or lynda.com, you can go to a specific topic to learn. And you can open one of your photos in another window to work on at the same time ~ Ron

Jul 22, 2017 at 07:18 AM
tonyespofoto
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photoshop manuals - which one?

In my view, the best manual for ACR/Lightroom is Jeff Schewe's The Digital Negative. OTOH, Photoshop is such a large and complex program that no one manual will suffice. Prepare yourself for the fact that just as you are congratulating yourself for approaching mastery, some website or book will show you that you haven't even scratched the surface and are nearly as woefully ignorant as when you began. You must learn to love the challenge. Be thankful for this, as it is what keeps this profession perpetually interesting. That said, I would reccommend joining Kelbyone. They have a very large assortment of tutorials competently done on wide ranging PS/LR topics as well as 2 monthly magazines, one devoted to PS and the other to Lightroom. BTW, the falcon photo you posted is an excellent image to work on. It should provide you with an opportunity to improve your selection skills, your dodging & burning skills and possibly your compositing skills as well. Don't be discouraged by failure or feel set back. Remember that more is learned from a single crash than from a hundred successful flights (unless you happen to be the pilot) Best of Luck!!!

Jul 22, 2017 at 09:03 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.