FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Forget suits, how about pants?

BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Forget suits, how about pants?

The recent thread on suits got me thinking about a problem I am perpetually having. Dress pants do not seem to hold up to the rigors of covering my legs and ass on a wedding day. I'm not splitting them or anything like that, but I can't seem to get more than 6 months out of a pair before I get snags and wear over pocket areas. I don't load down my pockets much, but I do carry a few things. I use a money clip in back right, but that is quite thin and much smaller than my wallet. Front right is a cell phone only, front left is an abbreviated set of keys, lucky rock, and a multi-tool. Occasionally, I've got a small soft memory card wallet and battery in a pocket somewhere too.

What do you guys wear that is comfortable, looks sharp, breaths and moves (maybe even stretches a bit)--but also holds up to some wear?

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:16 PM
jmraso
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Forget suits, how about pants?

Black elastic waiter trousers !

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:24 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Forget suits, how about pants?

I have two great options for you...

Eddie Bauer Horizon Pants
http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/mens-horizon-guide-chino-pants/10307889?showProducts=222&color=225&sizetype=&size=

Lululemon ABC or Commission Pants are great too... Have tried them on, but haven't bought yet since my Eddie Bauers hold up so well.
http://shop.lululemon.com/c/men-pants/_/N-88b?mnid=mn;en-US;men;bottoms;pants

I have 4 pair of the Eddie Bauer pants. It's all I've worn for 2+ years. They're light, stretchy, don't stain and dry super fast. The other day I was up to my thighs in the ocean... By the time cocktail hour started they were dry.

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:51 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Forget suits, how about pants?

Gap Performance Khakis

Cheaper than Lulu's ABC and better colors, too.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:19 AM
Michael Beard
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Forget suits, how about pants?

I have a pair of Lululemons (I think they are the ABCs). Ridiculously comfortable and stretchy like you would not believe. Not cheap, but amazing.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:25 AM
jecottrell
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Forget suits, how about pants?

BSPhotog wrote:
...lucky rock...

Exactly how large is this lucky rock?

Jul 21, 2017 at 01:14 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Forget suits, how about pants?

jecottrell wrote:
Exactly how large is this lucky rock?

~1", smooth, setimentary.

Jul 21, 2017 at 01:29 AM
CoLmes
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Forget suits, how about pants?

Seconding the ABC pants.

Jul 21, 2017 at 03:34 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Forget suits, how about pants?

Great thread.

Jul 21, 2017 at 03:51 AM
zalmyb
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Forget suits, how about pants?

Bonobos Golf pants. I have one navy blue pair and I wear it to every wedding. It doesn't wrinkle (though admittedly doesn't drape nearly as well as dressier pants), stretches well, and seems to take a good beating so far. Every other pants I'd have a rip in my left knee by now (way before now actually).

https://bonobos.com/products/the-highland-golf-pant-bgolf00001

Jul 21, 2017 at 04:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Forget suits, how about pants?

Nike Golf Pants. Very good.

Jul 21, 2017 at 04:27 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Forget suits, how about pants?

I think you need to go for activewear/sports manufacturers like people are suggesting. They understand how to make clothes for this sort of use.

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:27 AM
Jason Ferber

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Forget suits, how about pants?

Tony Hoffer wrote:
I have two great options for you...

Eddie Bauer Horizon Pants
http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/mens-horizon-guide-chino-pants/10307889?showProducts=222&color=225&sizetype=&size=

I have 4 pair of the Eddie Bauer pants. It's all I've worn for 2+ years. They're light, stretchy, don't stain and dry super fast. The other day I was up to my thighs in the ocean... By the time cocktail hour started they were dry.

I'll second Eddie Bauer all the way! I have been wearing these: http://www.eddiebauer.ca/product/mens-guide-pro-pants/12951063?showProducts=&color=971&sizetype=&size= for the last couple years, they rock! I wear them when I cycle to my day job too, it's amazing how well they control moisture issues in warm weather.

Tony, I'm definitely going to have to check out the version you linked, they look a bit more polished than the guide pro. The one thing that's always bugged me about mine is the logo on the leg. But they didn't have yours here when I bought my new wardrobe lol!

I wear their short sleeve button ups too in the summer, from this line: http://www.eddiebauer.ca/browse/shirts/men/travex/_/N-2780
They used to have some dressier options (I wouldn't wear any of the ones I see this year lol), but they are moisture wicking and quick dry - AMAZING on a hot day to help not turn into a soaked sweaty mess!

I gave up on dress pants after splitting the crotch out of two pairs, they are just not built for what we do. My philosophy is we are there to do a job, and we need to be comfortable enough to carry out our job without being restricted by our clothing.... but still look presentable.

Jul 21, 2017 at 01:53 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Forget suits, how about pants?

We have a Ralph Lauren outlet near us.
I used to wear Banana Republic pants but switched last season.
The RL pants I can get on sale for like 45$ and they fit my body type.
No complaints so far.
They make a slim fit and a classic fit. The classic fit is for sure better on wedding days because I can actually bend down and move around. The slim fit look great but are harder to move around in.

Jul 21, 2017 at 03:10 PM
nagoc50

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Forget suits, how about pants?

Going to try those Eddie B pants. Anyone have shirt recommendations? I really like to wear button shirts -- not polo style -- because I actually like to wear a tie. Just like the look. Very hard to find anything other than cotton button down shirts which stay wet, etc.

Jul 21, 2017 at 03:18 PM
Jason Ferber

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Forget suits, how about pants?

nagoc50 wrote:
Going to try those Eddie B pants. Anyone have shirt recommendations? I really like to wear button shirts -- not polo style -- because I actually like to wear a tie. Just like the look. Very hard to find anything other than cotton button down shirts which stay wet, etc.

I had another look at the Travex line I linked to, forgot they have some nice long sleeve options. I currently have this one for times I need long sleeve / more formal: http://www.eddiebauer.ca/product/mens-departure-long-sleeve-shirt/12924061?showProducts=&color=100&sizetype=&size=

This one also looks good, I think I'm going to grab a couple of these myself! http://www.eddiebauer.ca/product/mens-exploration-long-sleeve-shirt/12924204?showProducts=&color=400&sizetype=&size=

Not sure if either of those would work with a tie though, can't stand those things

Haha I feel like an Eddie Bauer salesman today, but honestly I just really like their clothes. They're great for this type of purpose, and they have a kick-ass life time warranty. The zipper broke on my two year old grey guide pro pants, I took them into a store, no receipt or anything, they looked at them, grabbed another pair off the shelf, handed them to me and away I went.

Jul 21, 2017 at 04:26 PM
ronrandle
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Forget suits, how about pants?

Performance golf pants FTW!!

Jul 21, 2017 at 04:38 PM
GumaRodak

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Forget suits, how about pants?

What do you recommend for hot summer weddings? Sometmes there is like 36C here and wearing long pants etc can be frustrating...

Jul 22, 2017 at 12:44 PM
3catsinky
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Forget suits, how about pants?

I have 3 pair of the lululemon pants, and damn, they are comfortable! expensive yes, but comfortable clothes AND an excellent pair of shoes are much needed on 12hr days.

Jul 22, 2017 at 12:48 PM
pette87
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Forget suits, how about pants?

BSPhotog wrote:
I use a money clip in back right, but that is quite thin and much smaller than my wallet. Front right is a cell phone only, front left is an abbreviated set of keys, lucky rock, and a multi-tool. Occasionally, I've got a small soft memory card wallet and battery in a pocket somewhere too.

I suggest to relocate all this stuff somewhere else like in the bag or in an external pouch like the think tank one.
Are you not afraid to loose keys from your pocket? With all the moves we do they come out pretty easily (in my experience)

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:20 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password