New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

The Adventure Begins

dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Adventure Begins

I started a couple of months ago looking for an alternative to taking my Canon 5D kit (which weighs 18 pounds) on travel. A couple of years ago I bought a little Panasonic Lumix LX7 to take on business trips. I've taken some great photos with it, but you need a nice sunny day.

After a tortuous process, I finally narrowed down my interest to Fuji X. We leave tomorrow for a wonderful vacation at the Outer Banks. I'll have gorgeous scenery and 4 grandchildren as subjects, so I decided to rent a Fuji kit to test. The kit arrived yesterday and consists of the X-T2, X-Pro2, 16mm f1.4, 23mm f2.0 and 18-55 f2.8-4.

We've rented a 5 bedroom house that I'll use as a base. We'll have an unhurried week that will give me plenty of time to test the system. I'm carrying my 5D kit and plan to take comparison shots.

I did check the rentals for a few minutes last night to make sure everything was working. I popped a battery and SD card in the bodies and was up and shooting within 3 minutes. My first impression of the XP2 is it seems like a combination of my Leica M3 and my Lumix. I love the ability to change settings without looking at a menu. All the controls, including the focus point joy stick and exposure compensation feel well placed. I'm still bewildered at the griping of the ISO adjustment, it's just like how I adjusted my film SLR's (albeit just once a roll). I plan to set up auto ISO anyway.

The hybrid viewfinder is a wonder. OVF is OK with the zoom, but really comes into its own with the primes. If I decide to go with the XP2, I'd love to use primes, but I may have to start with the kit zoom for economic reasons.

So far, both cameras just feel right with a slight nod to the XP2 form factor. I can't wait to dive in and explore their potential.

Jul 20, 2017 at 03:49 PM
jmraso
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Adventure Begins

Congratulations on the adventure, you will love it !

Jul 20, 2017 at 10:28 PM
Delatant
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Adventure Begins

If you wring them out - you will reel one of them in! Gotta love those 3 lenses - especially the 16 for close-ups (backgrounds blurred out) and scenic vistas.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:55 AM
gaopa
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Adventure Begins

Congratulations on your new Fuji cameras. I have only owned my Fuji cameras since early March, but could not be happier with them. I hope you have a wonderful week with your family and come away with lots of fine photos.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:57 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Adventure Begins

dmacmillan wrote:
I started a couple of months ago looking for an alternative to taking my Canon 5D kit (which weighs 18 pounds) on travel. A couple of years ago I bought a little Panasonic Lumix LX7 to take on business trips. I've taken some great photos with it, but you need a nice sunny day.

After a tortuous process, I finally narrowed down my interest to Fuji X. We leave tomorrow for a wonderful vacation at the Outer Banks. I'll have gorgeous scenery and 4 grandchildren as subjects, so I decided to rent a Fuji kit to test. The kit arrived
...Show more

You might as well just start making plans to selling off your Canon kit, you're gonna want to.

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Adventure Begins

First impressions. I'm having a blast!

Build quality is impressive. The 16mm is just gorgeous. I love the lack of switches. It gives it a very clean, minimalist look. It feels as solid a any Leica lens I own.

Both the XT2 and XP2 bodies are great. I'm glad I rented both to get a good idea of the differences. I prefer the XT2 viewfinder resolution and image size, get I prefer the OVF/EVF flexibility of the XP2, especially with primes. The joystick position is much better on the XP2. The jury is out. I would be happy with either, but I'm leaning towards the XP2.

Shooting with either is a joy and very quick and intuitive. I'm not missing the DLSR mirror slap and blackout.

The film simulations are lovely. I can't wait to see them on the big screen. I'll try to post an image later. I did get a wifi connection, but it kept falling out. More to come.

X-T2    16mm    f/5.6    1/125s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 23, 2017 at 02:54 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Adventure Begins

Well, I've taken hundreds of frames with each and I find them in a virtual dead heat. As soon as I think one has the edge, I'll shoot with the other and change my mind.

I prefer shooting the zoom on the X-T2 and the primes on the XP2. My younger son and his family are on vacation with us My son thinks there's no contest, he prefers the X-T2.

Both cameras work better for those who are right eyed. The problem is I'm left eye dominant. I've been working hard to shoot with my right eye. The joystick on both work much better when shooting right eyed.

Jul 26, 2017 at 01:57 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Adventure Begins

dmacmillan wrote:
Well, I've taken hundreds of frames with each and I find them in a virtual dead heat. As soon as I think one has the edge, I'll shoot with the other and change my mind.

I prefer shooting the zoom on the X-T2 and the primes on the XP2. My younger son and his family are on vacation with us My son thinks there's no contest, he prefers the X-T2.

Both cameras work better for those who are right eyed. The problem is I'm left eye dominant. I've been working hard to shoot with my right eye. The joystick on both work
...Show more

I have been left eye dominate since I got into photography in the 70's. When I got the X-T2, I forced myself to use my right eye out of convenience, now it seems normal for me. It just took a while to adapt.

One more thing. I thought I was needing an eye exam, until I remembered to readjust the diopter.

Jul 26, 2017 at 09:45 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Adventure Begins

leighton w wrote:
I have been left eye dominate since I got into photography in the 70's. When I got the X-T2, I forced myself to use my right eye out of convenience, now it seems normal for me. It just took a while to adapt.

One more thing. I thought I was needing an eye exam, until I remembered to readjust the diopter.

It takes me back to my days working in TV. I shot spot news sound on film with a 16mm Auricon. It had a 12-120 Angineux zoom with a split prism viewfinder. The viewfinder was on the left side of the camera and there was no way to use my left eye. I taught myself to use my right eye, keeping my left eye open.

Jul 26, 2017 at 01:08 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Adventure Begins

Well, I shipped the cameras back o LensRentals today. It has been a joy to shoot with them. They handled a multiple of tasks admirably.

I would be happy to own either the XT2 or XP2. I'm withholding final judgement until I see the results at home on my big computer screen. I'm surprised,though by my leaning at this point. The XT2 gets the edge. I don't think I'll have a classic prime setup, at least not to begin with. The 18-55 is just so good and flexible it will be my first lens, and it works better on the XT2 IMO.

Jul 28, 2017 at 02:36 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password