New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Canon estimates

RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon estimates

I was required by my insurance to send in my 300 for evaluation. Canon received it but it seems like they didn't read the request, as they made no note of the hood, gelatin filer, cracked lens barrel, etc.

Additionally when I spoke to the rep at Canon I was, again, informed that the estimate could easily "sky rocket" based upon damage to the internals of the lens.

Does anyone have experience here with a lens becoming friends with the concrete, getting an estimate based on an outward observation, and then a revised estimate after the fact? Just trying to get myself prepared.
Thanks

Jul 20, 2017 at 09:42 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon estimates

Revised estimate without opening it up/gelatin filter/hood, $1500

Jul 20, 2017 at 05:03 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon estimates

Man, what did they do with it, that they didn't notice a cracked lens barrel ?

Anyway, I've had two cracked lenses repaired, a 70-200/2.8L IS and something else, a 35/1.4L, I think. In both cases, I sent it in for an estimate, and they soon quoted me the full cost, including barrel, and IS/USM, but no large elements.

The only time I've had a preliminary estimate, was for a water-damaged camera.

As far as your situation goes, I expect it'll get more expensive, if you need a new IS unit (maybe USM, too). I'd guess $500 or $1,000 more (IS and/or USM). In some lenses, the IS and USM are integrated, but I don't know about the 300/2.8L IS.

edit: remove comments about CPS Canada fixed-rates; generally, they no longer apply.

Edited on Jul 20, 2017 at 07:03 PM · View previous versions

Jul 20, 2017 at 05:54 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon estimates

jcolwell wrote:
Man, what did they do with it, that they didn't notice a cracked lens barrel ?

Anyway, I've had two cracked lenses repaired, a 70-200/2.8L IS and something else, a 35/1.4L, I think. In both cases, I sent it in for an estimate (impacts are not covered by CPS Canada fixed-rate), and they soon quoted me the full cost, including barrel, and IS/USM, but no large elements.

The only time I've had a preliminary estimate, was for a water-damaged camera. Water damage is the other issue that's not covered under the CPS Canada fixed-rate.

Sadly, Canon Canada CPS no longer offers fixed-rate repairs for most gear.

"Canon Canada wishes to advise you of a change in fee structure to our repair rates. Effective April 19, 2017, most products will no longer be repaired under a flat rate system, instead, Canon Canada will assess each product upon receipt and provide an estimate for time and materials.

Why the change?
Flat rates are fair to all customers only if the average repair price does not vary significantly. In order to be fair to all customers, a repair estimate will be provided specifically to address the issue with your particular product. In order to minimize your downtime, Canon Canada has established a pre-approved charge. This means that if the cost to repair your product is below $349 + tax, Canon Canada will proceed with the repair and return your equipment as soon as possible. In the event that the estimate charge is beyond the pre-approved charge of $349 + tax, Canon Canada will require your approval to proceed. If at any time you require a manual estimate, please advise us when sending your product and an estimate will be provided regardless of cost."

Jul 20, 2017 at 06:01 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon estimates

molson wrote:
Sadly, Canon Canada CPS no longer offers fixed-rate repairs for most gear....

Yeah, that's right. I must have wished that away, into the backwaters of my mind.

Jul 20, 2017 at 07:02 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon estimates

Canon confirmed that the estimate can and likely will rise. it doe not include an IS ass'y or an AF ass'y. It doesn't include the hood. It doesn't include the filter.

1500 in repair. 580/464 for the hood (normal and on sale and they go by Canon's price). 130-150 for the gelatin filter. Whatever the initial rental and then each additional rental costs.

They should just total the 300 and move on. Because there is a 0 percent chance of me returning my rental before I know my 300 can handle the rigors of the job. They may also have to extend the 24-70 and 1DX rental because I haven't received the funds yet and I won't have the equipment until after the rental period is up.

What a mess this all has become.

Jul 20, 2017 at 09:11 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon estimates

Hang in there.

Jul 20, 2017 at 09:18 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon estimates

I had a gazelle take off with one of my lens in the lens case....I won't bore you with the details, but I took the lens with a dented barrel to my local camera shop that noted everything along with the grass stained case. I got it back in great shape as well as a new case. Perhaps a well known camera shop in your area can help you out with getting the details sorted out.

Jul 20, 2017 at 09:28 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon estimates

Herb wrote:
I had a gazelle take off with one of my lens in the lens case....I won't bore you with the details, but I took the lens with a dented barrel to my local camera shop that noted everything along with the grass stained case. I got it back in great shape as well as a new case. Perhaps a well known camera shop in your area can help you out with getting the details sorted out.

The camera shop in my area is terrible.

Jul 20, 2017 at 09:56 PM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon estimates

Herb wrote:
I had a gazelle take off with one of my lens in the lens case....I won't bore you with the details, . . .

I have a feeling that I won't be board with the details on this one!

Maybe after this thread's topic runs its course, that I expect to culminate with reports of a successful repair & interaction with the insurance company, will you return and fill us in with the details? Don't get me wrong, it's not that the original topic is not interesting by any means.

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:15 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon estimates

New revised estimate 1850

Jul 24, 2017 at 05:14 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.