p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · What are you buying instead of the 6D II

D820 (D850).....

Jul 21, 2017 at 07:26 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · What are you buying instead of the 6D II

JohnK007 wrote:
The D610 is Nikon's closest rival, and is available for $500 less than the 6D II dud:

1. Nikon D610 = $1,496.85
  2. Canon 6D II = $1,999.95

It offers a much better value-to-performance ratio than the 6D Mk II.

Nice trolling.

While the 6D II's DR is demonstrably less expansive at low-ISOs than Sony-sensored cameras as well as Canon's latest full-frame cameras, that does not make it a 'dud', not in the least. The D610 has a litany of limitations that do not apply to the 6D II. Some don't even apply to the 6D .

Jul 21, 2017 at 08:14 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · What are you buying instead of the 6D II

arbitrage wrote:
D820 (D850).....

Ha ha, that's what I'm thinking too, but in the interim and to give Nikon the usual 6 months breathing space to fix the issues that are sure to pop up at release I've just bought a D500 and 200-500. If the D820/850 has the rumored specs and can do as you say 8fps+ in DX mode, then I'd sell the D500 and 5DsR and 1DX and just keep the 5D4.

Jul 22, 2017 at 07:13 AM
Rusty1
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · What are you buying instead of the 6D II

johnctharp wrote:
No, there's nothing you- or I- can do to 'help'. The 6D II has less DR than we were expecting, by far.

I never said it 'sucks for DR', because hey, that's relative to the photograph. I'm not comparing photographs, I'm comparing dynamic range exhibited versus dynamic range expected.

Well, that puts it in a tidy little box with a bow on top.

Jul 22, 2017 at 07:55 AM
dtolios
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · What are you buying instead of the 6D II

ironmarshal wrote:
What is your opinion of the 5DSR? I've toyed with the idea of going in that direction (used).

First impression holding them back to back: bigger. And you don't say "oh, nice"...it is more like "is that necessary"? I liked the 6D's size a lot over time, although the first few days I felt the opposite as it was smaller than my 50D it replaced, or at least the handgrip was thinner and overall it was shorter.

Viewfinder: bigger. It is not a huge difference, but it is there.

Controls: natural, Canon. Had been using AF joystick selectors before the 6D but I had no issues with the multi-directional pad inside the rear dial either.

AF: the biggest difference when shooting. Notably faster, notably more meaningful tracking abilities, AI Servo makes sense now. Was all center point / recompose for me with the 6D. Feels better than my brief encounters with the 5D3 that did not skew me to get one.

Output: that was that skewed me away from the 6D mostly: curiosity for that 50MP. Is it a big difference? Definitely. Is it a "OMG" how could I do it before? Well, been shooting mostly portraits lately so...I don't know really. For landscapes, I know it will be a far better investment so I will need to spend some time away from the base to do that.

Biggest complaint? Reviewing images can be slow... notably slower than anything in memory. The camera overall is very responsive, locks AF fast, tracks well, snaps multiple images without choking the buffer - or at least doesn't seem worse than the 6D in any of these regards, and I believe few if any 5D3 shooters would notice any negative with it...but waiting for a pic review after it was taken takes a long time. Shoot a burst and then...it seems forever.

Jul 22, 2017 at 12:30 PM
Desbris

p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · What are you buying instead of the 6D II

I'm still on the fence about swapping to the Nikon D750[borrowed a friend's and loved the detail and DR]. However, I really enjoy using Canon cameras, but the price of the D750 is so much cheaper than a 5D IV and I can easily sell the lenses for the price I bought them for, so that isn't a big issue for me.

I'm gonna wait till there are a ton of objective reviews on the 6D II, but I have a feeling it's just gonna be a decent camera but pretty underwhelming.

Jul 22, 2017 at 02:45 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · What are you buying instead of the 6D II

The 5D IV is not the competitor against D750 imo. The D750 competes against 5D II and 6D. 5D II does not, but 6D delivers equal/better IQ (at higher ISO) imo. And it is cheaper, too.

Jul 23, 2017 at 08:08 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · What are you buying instead of the 6D II

johnctharp wrote:
The D610 has a litany of limitations that do not apply to the 6D II. Some don't even apply to the 6D .

Yes, that is why the D610 is priced so low - otherwise no one would ever buy it. It was only released because Nikon was not able to repair all the problems with the D600, but not all consumers were that easily fooled.

Jul 23, 2017 at 08:43 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · What are you buying instead of the 6D II

Ralph Conway wrote:
The 5D IV is not the competitor against D750 imo. The D750 competes against 5D II and 6D. 5D II does not, but 6D delivers equal/better IQ (at higher ISO) imo. And it is cheaper, too.

They're pretty close:

6D vs D750, ISO 25,600

Jul 23, 2017 at 09:33 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · What are you buying instead of the 6D II

ironmarshal wrote:
For those that were looking to purchase the 6d II, but have decided not to for whatever reason (dynamic range, no 4K, limited AF point coverage, single card slot, etc.) what have you decided to purchase instead?

Well, I bought my wife a little piece of jewellery as our wedding anniversary present. Now, those amongst you who are inclined to help Fred moderate the site, may ask what does that jewellery have to do with Canon photography gears ?
Trust me, a lot in my case. Unless I "grease the wheels", my wife would be very reluctant to give me the money to buy the 800 DO lens.

Jul 23, 2017 at 11:48 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · What are you buying instead of the 6D II

I thought you were selling all the Canon gear to buy Nikons?

EBH

Jul 23, 2017 at 02:58 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · What are you buying instead of the 6D II

EB-1 wrote:
I thought you were selling all the Canon gear to buy Nikons?

EBH

I ain't selling nothing yet, I've merely listed 3 lenses on B&S. If they sell, I might sink that money into a partial switching to Leica, and not Nikon for sure.

Jul 23, 2017 at 03:30 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · What are you buying instead of the 6D II

snapsy wrote:
They're pretty close:

6D vs D750, ISO 25,600

Yes, snapsy, they are very close. And D750 has a higher resolution. But it came two years after 6D that meanwhile was already 500€ less expensive. It still is (about 350-400€ here in germany). And nothing has changed in "pretty close".

Jul 23, 2017 at 03:33 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · What are you buying instead of the 6D II

PetKal wrote:
I ain't selling nothing yet, I've merely listed 3 lenses on B&S. If they sell, I might sink that money into a partial switching to Leica, and not Nikon for sure.

Not happy any longer with your (was it a) SL I, Peter?
Leica ... ? Ah, yes exchanging the red ring with a red circle, right? I have heard, older men are used to to this.
Isnīt it this ultra back (in specs) but horrible expensive gear?
Oh wait. Just googeled it. Hell! Great brand! Can not be expensive enough. Itīs pure quality. Itīs german!

Jul 23, 2017 at 03:45 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · What are you buying instead of the 6D II

Ralph Conway wrote:
Leica ... ? Ah, yes exchanging the red ring with a red circle, right? I have heard, older men are used to to this.
Oh wait. Just googeled it. Hell! Great brand! Can not be expensive enough. Itīs pure quality. Itīs german!

Ralph, I am happy with everything except the value of the most recent Canon dSLRs such as 6DII, 5DS/R, 5DIV and 1DXII. However, I can make do quite well with what I've got in my kit already.

Leica would hopefully place me into a much changed photography world.......I'll send you a postcard if and when I get there.

I do have a high regard for German engineering and fabrication. For example, every time I need a new car, I take a renewed look at BMW and Mercedes models, however, I always end up buying a Japanese car. You know why ? Because with dSLR cameras as well as automobiles I am a sucker for the best value for my $. Therefore, I still have some reservations about Leica.

Jul 23, 2017 at 04:38 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · What are you buying instead of the 6D II

Hm ... I understand. I will print out a red "Leila" button for you, that you can glue on any kind of body. Does not enhance the cameras quality much but might give you a much better feeling. And this will result definitely in even better pics.

Conny

Jul 24, 2017 at 04:08 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · What are you buying instead of the 6D II

... plus, it will greatly enhance the camera's resale value.

Jul 24, 2017 at 05:37 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · What are you buying instead of the 6D II

Ralph Conway wrote:

Leica gear can't do the same what Canon gear can offer especially in the tele range. Aside from this - yes, it is expensive, and I agree, also that the digital Leica stuff is overpriced severely. But look at the M10 with its price - yes, overpriced but not too far away what Sony will likely be charging for the A7R III when it will be released. This is actually the crazy thing - that all the (semi-) professional prices of all brands are going up per camera piece mainly caused due to lower demand in digital cameras in general. Saying this, I personally love Leica for film-related cameras and M lenses - but I am not fully convinced about their digital camera performance for the cost of it. For FF performance, Sony has still the edge here in regard to sensor performance and camera options. Leica has the advantage of the digital rangefinder shooting experience with best way to focus manually IMO - but I also wouldn't put the $$$$ down just for this.

Jul 24, 2017 at 05:48 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.