New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Looking for advice on programs for Mac OS X

ShotByTom
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Looking for advice on programs for Mac OS X

For photo viewing, Apple Photos is great. It's also an excellent photo library if you're using it for casual photography. It's not Lightroom, but it's pretty good. It also works with all of the standard MacOS swipes.

As far a Carbon Copy, I use it to clone external hard drives and Time Machine for my internal Hard Drive. I've found TM to be very helpful for restoring to a previous point, and don't remember it talking much effort or time at all.

Jul 24, 2017 at 08:39 PM
LightShadow

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Looking for advice on programs for Mac OS X

shutterwolf wrote:
First off thanks for all the replies and advice

As for what im after, i have ACDsee on windows 7 and I can open 1 picture then use the arrow keys to scroll thru em all. ACDsee on mac looks way different like its more of an editor app than a viewer app.

LightShadow wrote:
If all you want to do is view photos, you can use Quick Look. Open the photos folder > Edit > Select All (or click and drag over the photos you want to view to select them) > Space Bar. The first photo will be presented. From there, use the right arrow to go to the next photo or the left arrow to go to the previous one. Hope that helps.

shutterwolf,
I forgot to mention that you can enter full screen for added functionality. When in full screen, you have the option to run the selected photos as a slide show, or to view an index sheet with previews of photos selected. To do this, while in Quick Look mode (first image up), click the little round button with diagonal arrows at the upper left corner next to the close button. Once in full screen, the added functions pop up at the bottom in a rectangular dark box. If the box disappears, it will show up again when you move the mouse pointer.

Non-photo related software recommendations:
Quicksliver - free. Does what Spotlight does, and much, much more.
FinderSize - script, free. Pre-size and position a finder window, then run the script. From now on, whenever you move or open a new finder window, simply click the script button, and the window will jump to your pre-arranged size and position, just like magic. Find the script at macupdate.com.
SuperDuper - backup and hard drive cloning software.
Default Folder X - saving dialog and file tagging.

Cheers!

Jul 28, 2017 at 07:12 PM
Abbott Schindl
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Looking for advice on programs for Mac OS X

Paul Mo wrote:
I am trialling Capture One Pro, again. I have used it in the past but found LR a lot more intuitive. However, I want to give C1 Pro another shot.

During your trial, look at customizing the interface. You can put (and remove) just about any tool into any tab, reorder/add/remove tabs, and all sorts of things to make C1 fit your workflow (instead of the other way around). With all its tools + different behavior than Adobe and other products, C1 can be bewildering and a little off-putting at first. You might consider creating a tab with just the tools you need initially and saving that workspace. Then, add tools/tabs and position them as you become more proficient with C1.

Also check C1's webinar archive for some really useful pointers:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBZS3EGK3tQ_r65ab8XMT1gHmKo2_AZNg&spfreload=10

Jul 28, 2017 at 07:21 PM
pjheller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Looking for advice on programs for Mac OS X

Another recommendation for Photo Mechanic.

Jul 28, 2017 at 08:49 PM
MizOre

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Looking for advice on programs for Mac OS X

DXO Optics Pro and DX0 Viewpoint are worth having and can run as plug-ins to Lightroom and Photoshop. DXO Optics Pro will run DXO Viewpoint as a plug-in for it. Both do a better job with some of my Sony A7 files than Lightroom. DXO Optics Pro has excellent noise reduction. Wait for sales.

Jul 29, 2017 at 04:55 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password