Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

GMPhotography wrote:
Pre -orders

http://www.venuslens.net/product/laowa-15mm-f2/ref/5/

They kept the $850 price initially mentioned to me and I think it's a fair price for this lens.
I will post some links whenever pre-orders start at B&H and Adorama.

Aug 08, 2017 at 04:05 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Laowa is including a set of free filters (72mm UV, Polarizer, ND) with the first 200 pre-orders. Nice addition if the filters are decent quality. They should be, coming from an optics company.

Aug 08, 2017 at 08:26 PM
irreversible

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Hmm I definitely want to pick one of these up but is there any reason why I shouldn't preorder from them directly? I've never preordered a lens before and I'm especially hesitant since it's not from your usual US-based retailer(s).

Aug 11, 2017 at 05:48 AM
El Matadurr

p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

irreversible wrote:
Hmm I definitely want to pick one of these up but is there any reason why I shouldn't preorder from them directly? I've never preordered a lens before and I'm especially hesitant since it's not from your usual US-based retailer(s).

I preordered their 105mm f/2 for Nikon F mount, got it in a timely fashion even though it shipped from China. I currently live in Japan and am waiting on my copy of the 15mm now. Pretty excited.

Also, side note, thanks Fred for your thoughts on the lens. Looks to be a solid performer for its size and class.

Aug 11, 2017 at 10:55 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

irreversible wrote:

Not having the same rights and protection you have in the USA. And certainly not the rights to return and exchange or refund you might be used to !

After having said that I'ved lived in China for a very long time and have never had any issues at all buying anything from Camera Lenses to Kellog's Frosties, via the internet. There is actually a lot of protection domestically, maybe not the same for international buyers. I'd buy in the USA if I were you.

Aug 11, 2017 at 05:09 PM
irreversible

p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Frogfish wrote:
Not having the same rights and protection you have in the USA. And certainly not the rights to return and exchange or refund you might be used to !

Actually I dropped them an email about exchanges in event of defects like decentering and they very promptly replied that they would take care of it no problem. I'll ask again about returns but I don't think I'd do that since there's no alternative lens anyway.

Now the only thing is whether or not I care about that filter bundle enough.

Aug 11, 2017 at 09:55 PM
Henning

p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

I'm not really interested in this lens as I have other options for the Sony, but I did order the equivalent lens for m43 a couple of months ago on a pre-order. The Laowa 7.5mm f/2 is the widest rectilinear prime for m43 at the moment.

I received the lens plus three good quality filters (the same three as offered for the 15) within 3 weeks and am very happy with it and the service. It's tiny, with 46mm threads, fast and good quality. The astigmatism is noticeable wide open with lights/stars in the corners, but by f/2.8 it's already well under control. Now I'll often take it along when the Olympus 7-14 is just too big. The Olympus is still a bit better at f/2.8, but after that they are pretty much indistinguishable. You have to go looking for differences even at the widest apertures.

Aug 12, 2017 at 01:04 AM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

For those that are interested...

The Tokina 20mm f2 has a T-stop pretty close to f2.2. It's about 2/3 of a stop faster than the Basis 18mm 2.8, which has a t-stop measured as 2.8. Overall, I think the Tokina @ f2 wins given the IQ is better, vignetting is similar or better, and coma looks the same to me.

Chris

Batis @2.8, ISO 3200 + 2/3, 20"

Tokina @2, ISO 3200, 20"

Center crops - Tokina @f2 on left, Basis @2.8 on the right

Extreme top right corner crops - Tokina @f2 on left, Basis @2.8 on the right

Tokina @2.8, 3200 + 2/3, 20"

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DavidBM
• • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Schlotkins wrote:
For those that are interested...

The Tokina 20mm f2 has a T-stop pretty close to f2.2. It's about 2/3 of a stop faster than the Basis 18mm 2.8, which has a t-stop measured as 2.8. Overall, I think the Tokina @ f2 wins given the IQ is better, vignetting is similar or better, and coma looks the same to me.

Chris

Interesting. It's a little hard to judge coma though on those exposures, which while they are the orthodox length for these focal lengths, still show enough trailing to disguise the shapes of the point sources.

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:51 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

DavidBM wrote:
Interesting. It's a little hard to judge coma though on those exposures, which while they are the orthodox length for these focal lengths, still show enough trailing to disguise the shapes of the point sources.

Yea usually I would have gone 25" but at 100% I knew i'd get trailing. I didn't bother with 15" as almost no one would ever shoot these at 15". The bottom line is you get 2/3 a stop advantage with the Tokina with no real notable downside at normal shutter speeds.

Probably a great Astro kit would be something like 14/15, this 20, 25 batis, and then something like 35/50 if you like to shoot that narrow.

Chris

Aug 14, 2017 at 12:00 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Schlotkins wrote:
Yea usually I would have gone 25" but at 100% I knew i'd get trailing. I didn't bother with 15" as almost no one would ever shoot these at 15". The bottom line is you get 2/3 a stop advantage with the Tokina with no real notable downside at normal shutter speeds.

Probably a great Astro kit would be something like 14/15, this 20, 25 batis, and then something like 35/50 if you like to shoot that narrow.

Chris

I've been doing 10" (at these FLs), and doubling the amount of stacking to compensate. But I don't do lots of Astro, and it is a big extra hassle, especially if you are doing a lot...

Aug 14, 2017 at 12:15 AM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Stacking isn't that bad any more with some of the apps out there now. I easily stacked 12 Batis shots.

At the end of the day, it's probably more about the focal length. But 18mm is 90 degrees and 20mm is 84 degrees of horizontal FOV. Of course, the advantage of the Batis is it is fully electronic versus manual for the Tokina.

Chris

Aug 14, 2017 at 03:24 PM
kuau
• •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Besides coma, would you say this is the best 15mm option at F6.3 out there right now for Sony? or is the 12-24/4 wins

Aug 15, 2017 at 01:15 AM
irreversible

p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

I was totally ready to preorder but got cold feet at the last second. Has anyone found any recent/production-model full size samples that clearly show the coma issue? The more I look at those bird-like blobs in the 100% crops the less I can stand them.

The company doesn't seem to want to discuss what acceptable coma performance is.

Aug 17, 2017 at 05:15 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

That coma is pretty good for a f/2 lens . . . some CA removal would also help.

Aug 17, 2017 at 07:55 AM
billsnature
• • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Oh Mannnn!

Is this another contender to consider with 12-24 and the 16-35GM?

Looks really good especially compared to CV 15

Aug 20, 2017 at 02:22 AM
1       2       3       4      
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password