FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              10      
       end

Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

tsdevine
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #1 · p.11 #1 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

So this is all based on a few test shots, but the Laowa vignettes more than the Zeiss (but not as much as the CV.) The Zeiss cleans up as you stop down, and while the Laowa does as well, it still shows more vignetting at f/11 than the Zeiss. But stopped down, the Laowa doesn't vignette as bad as the Zeiss does wide open.

I hope that makes sense.

-Tim

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:24 AM
josh-himes

Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #2 · p.11 #2 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

tsdevine wrote:
So I did get the Laowa yesterday, did some quick and dirty testing this morning. I think it's a keeper, probably going to put my CV 15 on the chopping block. I don't do enough sunstar shooting to keep 3 15mm lenses. Given the sale price on a new Zeiss ZE 15mm, I'd have to probably set a crazy low price for it to move.

I did notice that the Laowa seems to have a flatter field than the other two lenses. When shooting 45 degree angle test shots, both the CV and the Zeiss gave sharp foreground corners by f/8
...Show more

Agreed completely on the flat field at infinity. You really have to check your focus carefully and stop down accordingly if there are both far/near elements in the frame.

The flat field really helps with astrophotography though...especially if everything in the frame is at or near infinity. With my copy, if you nail the focus in the center at F2, the stars will be in focus across the frame and you won't need to refocus at other apertures.

Dec 11, 2017 at 12:10 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password