FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8      
       10       11       end

Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

pdmphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Laowa has done a good job designing this lens, and the QA (from user reports) seems to be respectable!

Oct 01, 2017 at 04:49 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Some more . Really liking this lens . It focuses extremely close , has nice sunstars at least I like them and it is very very sharp. I also love the size the build quality and the focusing on it. I can pretty much set it to infinity which on my lens right at the infinity symbol and just shoot the dang thing. Basically i love the ease of it.

ILCE-9    ---- lens    1/500s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-9    ---- lens    1/500s    100 ISO    -0.7 EV  

ILCE-9    ---- lens    1/80s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-9    ---- lens    1/800s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Oct 01, 2017 at 02:00 PM · View previous versions

Oct 01, 2017 at 01:56 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Had a lot of dust on my sensor. Need to fix my fixes .

ILCE-9    ---- lens    1/3200s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 01, 2017 at 01:58 PM
lightskyland
• •
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Lovely photos Guy as always!

Oct 01, 2017 at 03:19 PM
chiron
• • •
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

One of the few reviews I have found of the Laowa 15mm f2 is from Chris Gampat writing as The Photoblographer. He criticizes a fairly vague aspect of build quality, writing:

"The Venus Optics Laowa 15mm f2 lens is made of metal on the outside. The metal itself feels very nice and when you hold the lens, the overall build quality isnít too bad. However, I genuinely feel like Venus Optics lenses could be a bit more solid. Iím not talking about weather sealing, Iím talking about the fact that if you shake the lens, something about it feels like the exterior is a bit loose. This isnít the case with the companyís 15mm f4 Macro lens, which I own."

He also lists as a "Con" on the lens that when one shakes it, it feels like something is loose inside.

Have owners of the lens noticed this?

Oct 01, 2017 at 04:07 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Must be smoking illegal stuff.

Solid as a rock.

My only issue is a mounting symbol there really is not one but its in the middle of the declick switch . Kind of odd

Oct 01, 2017 at 04:14 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

GMPhotography wrote:

Solid as a rock.

My only issue is a mounting symbol there really is not one but its in the middle of the declick switch . Kind of odd

you gonna hold on to this one Guy? Always a lot of options for you to consider

Oct 01, 2017 at 05:45 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.9 #8 · p.9 #8 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Iím keeping this lens for sure. I like everything about it. I like shooting it more than anything else. Great feel to it and itís good even at 2.8 in the corners. Hits the mark at 5.6 which I like

Oct 01, 2017 at 06:12 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • •
p.9 #9 · p.9 #9 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

I keep watching how good this lens is . . . However, I still love my ĎSon of Choppyí Voigtlander 15 III. I got a good one and no need to change. But still, Iíll keep a 12-24G in the stable for times I need zoom flexibility in a light single lens.

Oct 01, 2017 at 06:19 PM
lightskyland
• •
p.9 #10 · p.9 #10 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

GMPhotography wrote:

Solid as a rock.

This is an annoyance for me about so many lenses. I'm thinking about getting some kind of adhesive red dot to affix to my lenses so I can easily find the mount points.

Oct 01, 2017 at 08:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

billsnature
• • •
p.9 #11 · p.9 #11 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

GMPhotography wrote:
Iím keeping this lens for sure. I like everything about it. I like shooting it more than anything else. Great feel to it and itís good even at 2.8 in the corners. Hits the mark at 5.6 which I like

Ready to sell me your perfect copy of 12-24 while I am still in the return period for my good but not perfect copy?

Oct 02, 2017 at 03:18 AM
El Matadurr

Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #12 · p.9 #12 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

lightskyland wrote:
This is an annoyance for me about so many lenses. I'm thinking about getting some kind of adhesive red dot to affix to my lenses so I can easily find the mount points.

Unless there's something unique about my copy, there is a red mounting dot on the lens. It's just that the location is on the mounting ring, instead of on the body.

Oct 04, 2017 at 12:38 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.9 #13 · p.9 #13 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

I have a red dot also but itís not matching the mount. Iíll check again

Oct 04, 2017 at 01:59 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.9 #14 · p.9 #14 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

billsnature wrote:
Ready to sell me your perfect copy of 12-24 while I am still in the return period for my good but not perfect copy?

Bill I sold it to a member. I know Iím crazy but honestly I like to manual focus lenses that have a lot of feel to it. I had a crazy good copy so thatís not the issue. It was more about feel . I have the Laowa 15 and I bought a Loxia 21. Iím going back to small primes down here at these focal lengths. Iím going to miss 12mm though but I gained nice sunstars. I still highly recommend the 12-24 no question.

Oct 04, 2017 at 03:58 PM
billsnature
• • •
p.9 #15 · p.9 #15 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

GMPhotography wrote:
Bill I sold it to a member. I know Iím crazy but honestly I like to manual focus lenses that have a lot of feel to it. I had a crazy good copy so thatís not the issue. It was more about feel . I have the Laowa 15 and I bought a Loxia 21. Iím going back to small primes down here at these focal lengths. Iím going to miss 12mm though but I gained nice sunstars. I still highly recommend the 12-24 no question.

Hi Guy,

Please help me figure out what I am missing. Based on all the commentary here, I got a Loawa 15mm that was delivered yesterday. While I love the smooth manual focus, I am not blown away by the IQ. At f5.6 it does not appear to be as sharp or as contrasty as the Sony 12-24 @15mm. It is good, just not quite as good as Sony. It could be that I haven't figured out how to focus it critically yet, but for my limited testing in backyard I think the Sony has more visual impact.

Am I drawing that conclusion because I am not doing sun stars, or challenging the Sony with flare? Does one need brightly colored cityscapes to really appreciate the 15mm?

The one thing it did do was make me appreciate how good my copy of 12-24 really is.

Before I send back the 15mm, tell me what I need to types of things I should shoot to appreciate its brilliance? I love the idea of screw in filters, but not sure I would keep it just for that.

Thanks in advance for your insights
Bill

Oct 05, 2017 at 03:34 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.9 #16 · p.9 #16 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Wow you may have a bad copy. Mine is even sharp wide open on center by F4 the corners are looking really good but at 5.6 brilliant across the frame. Try some tests tommorrow Bill in some good light. Maybe upload some Raws so we can look at it

Oct 05, 2017 at 04:12 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.9 #17 · p.9 #17 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

billsnature wrote:
Hi Guy,

Please help me figure out what I am missing. Based on all the commentary here, I got a Loawa 15mm that was delivered yesterday. While I love the smooth manual focus, I am not blown away by the IQ. At f5.6 it does not appear to be as sharp or as contrasty as the Sony 12-24 @15mm. It is good, just not quite as good as Sony. It could be that I haven't figured out how to focus it critically yet, but for my limited testing in backyard I think the Sony has more visual impact.

Am I drawing
...Show more

Bill,
15mm is the optimal focal length for the 12-24/4 zoom, therefore, even a prime lens will have a hard time beating it.
The Laowa 15/2 comes close and I would say they are very similar starting at f/4. I would not expect one lens to be much better than the other unless you have a copy of either lens not performing optimally. I've tested two Laowas (both perfectly centered) and about five 12-24/4Gs.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1500324/0#14112498

Oct 05, 2017 at 04:21 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.9 #18 · p.9 #18 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Bill focus wide open than stop down. Focusing at working aperture can throw you off

Agree with Fred they are very similar at 15mm.

Oct 05, 2017 at 04:31 AM
kevin_laowa

p.9 #19 · p.9 #19 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Nov 03, 2017 at 05:05 PM
El Matadurr

p.9 #20 · p.9 #20 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Hey all, I was finally able to put together my own review of this lens on an a6500. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Sigma 16mm f/1.4 is going to be better on APS-c than this lens on many fronts, but the Laowa still puts on a great show (likely sticking with the Laowa even if the Sigma turns out to be fantastic as I'm upgrading to full frame at some point in the future).

Here's the review!

matthewdurrphotography.com

Nov 09, 2017 at 09:03 AM
       10       11       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

10       11       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password