FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       8              10       11       end

Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

MedicineMan404
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

On the Laowa 15/2 can anyone confirm that the lens has a hard stop at true infinity focus? I don't do a lot of wide field astro but I would like a lens dedicated toward that purpose. Currently I'm using Batis 18mm and fly-by-wire kinda sucks for hard stops

I can see many going for the Sigma 14/1.8 but I've had enough adapters to last a while.

Sep 22, 2017 at 10:18 AM
BastianK
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

MedicineMan404 wrote:
On the Laowa 15/2 can anyone confirm that the lens has a hard stop at true infinity focus? I don't do a lot of wide field astro but I would like a lens dedicated toward that purpose.

Not it hasn't. I think not any modern lens has and for a good reason (tolerances).
I don't understand why manual lenses still don't allow for an easy adjust of the infinity hard stop so you can calibrate it to your camera...

Nevertheless, this Laowa is still worlds ahead of those focus-by-wire lenses for that purpose.

Sep 22, 2017 at 10:35 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Bastian thank you. I'd have to agree that any manual would beat fly-by-wire but as we both know manual doesn't always guarantee hard stop
I'll bide my time until hard stop infinity focus is confirmed before purchase.
Robert

Sep 22, 2017 at 10:53 AM
BastianK
• •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

MedicineMan404 wrote:
Bastian thank you. I'd have to agree that any manual would beat fly-by-wire but as we both know manual doesn't always guarantee hard stop
I'll bide my time until hard stop infinity focus is confirmed before purchase.
Robert

I already had two Laowa 15mm 2.0 on the table, on neither true infinity is at the hard stop (same as all my other modern manual lenses by the way).

Sep 22, 2017 at 10:55 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Thanks again. Monies saved by me.
So much I love Sony, but for wide field astro I still wait for a lens with hard stop.

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:03 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

BastianK wrote:
I already had two Laowa 15mm 2.0 on the table, on neither true infinity is at the hard stop (same as all my other modern manual lenses by the way).

At least the Laowa has infinity right in the middle of the infinity symbol. (if you can see in the dark )

Sep 22, 2017 at 02:16 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

I'm starting to think of buying one.

Are they in stock anywhere. I'm driving to LA next Wednesday like to maybe get it

Sep 22, 2017 at 02:37 PM
BastianK
• •
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Fred Miranda wrote:
At least the Laowa has infinity right in the middle of the infinity symbol. (if you can see in the dark )

That is right! I have totally seen much worse in that regard...

Sep 22, 2017 at 02:51 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

MedicineMan404 wrote:
So much I love Sony, but for wide field astro I still wait for a lens with hard stop.

An accurate hard stop is nice but IMO not a necessity. At least for astro work. Zoom in on a bright star and adjust focus.... I would do it this way even if my infinity stop was bang on.

Sep 22, 2017 at 06:20 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Gary you make that sound so easy....it was in my Canon days but so far in my Sony experience the stars disappear into a see of noise.
I'm using Sharpstar on the Batis 18 and it's a big help but still not perfect.
Care to delineate your exact steps/settings? I'll put them on a note card.
Robert

Sep 22, 2017 at 08:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

MedicineMan404 wrote:
Gary you make that sound so easy....it was in my Canon days but so far in my Sony experience the stars disappear into a see of noise.
Robert

With the Batis, you could focus on a big star and once perfect focus is achieved, just remember that distance. (It should not change).
I still prefer mechanical MF for nightcapes but the digital scale is not that bad.

Sep 22, 2017 at 08:18 PM
jwhatts

p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Money saved and one stop of light aside, would there be any real reason to get the Laowa over the Loxia? If I recall, the Loxia seems to have both sharper corners and better coma correction.

Sep 22, 2017 at 08:32 PM
BastianK
• •
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

jwhatts wrote:
Money saved and one stop of light aside, would there be any real reason to get the Laowa over the Loxia? If I recall, the Loxia seems to have both sharper corners and better coma correction.

It is a completely different focal length.

Sep 22, 2017 at 08:35 PM
jwhatts

p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

BastianK wrote:
It is a completely different focal length.

Right, that too. I'm speaking more in terms of optical quality, specifically astrophotography. I realize both of these are a landscape/astro lens option, but if I'm already going to pay $900 for the Laowa, I may as well pony up for the very best.

Maybe I'm just speaking in circles... I know what my heart wants, but it's not what my wallet likes.

Sep 22, 2017 at 08:48 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Crap you guys are worse than me. I just ordered it be here for my trip to LA next week.

Sep 22, 2017 at 09:13 PM
lightskyland
• •
p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Right, that too. I'm speaking more in terms of optical quality, specifically astrophotography. I realize both of these are a landscape/astro lens option, but if I'm already going to pay $900 for the Laowa, I may as well pony up for the very best.

Well, the Loxia 21 is a bit slow at that focal length for an astro lens when there are f/1.4 lenses close to that focal length.

It's a superb lens, to be sure, even wide open.

Sep 22, 2017 at 09:43 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

MedicineMan404 wrote:
Robert

Hey Robert. I really don't do much special at all. I look in the sky for a bright star and then aim the camera at it and then hit the focus zoom button three times to magnify the area. I then center the star in the middle and turn focus slowly until the star becomes the smallest size. Just rock the focus ring back and forth until it is as small as it can be. This would all be done wide open of course. Then compose the scene and fire away. Periodically check your photos to verify that the stars remain sharp in case you bump the camera or something. Very important to always do this while looking through the EVF and using "high quality" display mode. Hope this helps... PS - up here in Alberta, I cannot rely on marking the actual infinity on the lens as it changes ever so slightly with the extreme change in temperatures throughout the year...

Sep 23, 2017 at 02:37 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.7 #18 · p.7 #18 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Thanks Gary!

Sep 23, 2017 at 03:00 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.7 #19 · p.7 #19 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

MedicineMan404 wrote:

keep waiting. i can tell you with certainty that there is too much slop in sony's flange distance for any lens maker to make hard stop that will be accurate on all cameras sony a series cameras.

just set the infinity stop on the lens to match your camera (if you can) or mark on the distance scale where actual infinity is.

Sep 23, 2017 at 08:36 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #20 · p.7 #20 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

sebboh wrote:
keep waiting. i can tell you with certainty that there is too much slop in sony's flange distance for any lens maker to make hard stop that will be accurate on all cameras sony a series cameras.

just set the infinity stop on the lens to match your camera (if you can) or mark on the distance scale where actual infinity is.

None of the Loxias or adapted ZF lenses I've tried have true infinity at the hard stop...This has a lot to do with temperature but also field curvature as well where 'true' infinity is zone dependent.

The Laowa is pretty much flat field and it's nice they calibrated true infinity to be right in the middle of the infinity symbol. I wish my other MF lenses were calibrated like this.

Sep 23, 2017 at 08:46 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password