FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Phillip Reeve
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

I can help with vignetting: Bastian measured the Laowa at 2.9 stops wide open, 2.3 stops at f/2.8, the Loxia is at 2.5 stops wide open, the Batis at 2.6 stops and the Firin at 2.6 stops wide open and 2.1 stops at f/2.8. Bastian will have my Firin for two or so days to compare it to the Lox but his Laowa is garbage.

Jul 24, 2017 at 06:07 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Keep you reading until than.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1480006/0?keyword=Firin#13956240

Jul 24, 2017 at 06:09 PM
wallpapervikin

p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

So this is only being offered in Sony E-mount then?

No option to use the Magic Shift Converter and have this used a shift lens on the Sony A7RII?

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:01 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

wallpapervikin wrote:
So this is only being offered in Sony E-mount then?

No option to use the Magic Shift Converter and have this used a shift lens on the Sony A7RII?

It's a true mirrorless wide; so the rear elements are going to be too close to the sensor for shift mounting.
The trade off with a shift lens is that not only does image circle have to be large, it has to have space for the shift mechanism, which undoes some of the mirrorless advantage of not needing retrofocality....

EDIT it occurs to me that it *might* be possible to have some fixed elements behind the shifting ones in some future mirrorless shift lens. But I doubt it...

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:19 PM
wallpapervikin

p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Thanks for that! Good to know...

Jul 25, 2017 at 02:13 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

DavidBM wrote:
It's a true mirrorless wide; so the rear elements are going to be too close to the sensor for shift mounting.
The trade off with a shift lens is that not only does image circle have to be large, it has to have space for the shift mechanism, which undoes some of the mirrorless advantage of not needing retrofocality....

EDIT it occurs to me that it *might* be possible to have some fixed elements behind the shifting ones in some future mirrorless shift lens. But I doubt it...

In the case of the Laowa Magic Shift Adapter, it seems to enlarge the image circle of DSLR lenses like the Laowa 12mm f/2.8 from 43.2mm to 60mm in diameter. The equiv. result is 17mm f/4 with added shifting ability of +/- 10mm. I've not seen any examples but we can expect some degradation of IQ.

I believe that currently their Magic Shift adapter only works with the 12mm f/2.8 (DSLR) but I don't see why it would not work with other brands.

Jul 26, 2017 at 02:46 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Fred Miranda wrote:
In the case of the Laowa Magic Shift Adapter, it seems to enlarge the image circle of DSLR lenses like the Laowa 12mm f/2.8 from 43.2mm to 60mm in diameter. The equiv. result is 17mm f/4 with added shifting ability of +/- 10mm. I've not seen any examples but we can expect some degradation of IQ.

I believe that currently their Magic Shift adapter only works with the 12mm f/2.8 (DSLR) but I don't see why it would not work with other brands.

Ah yes I had forgotten that.
Be interesting to see who it goes; but basically it's magnifying the whole image circle so it's hard to believe there isn't a significant penalty.
Also, with a high enough resolution camera, it's not obvious that optical magnifying is any better than magnification in post (that's certainly shaping up to be true with many TCs on a high rez camera: I compared resampled crops with TC crops a while back, and it was swings and roundabouts)
In which case you may as well hold your 12mm lens straight, and then crop out the bit you want and resample...

Jul 26, 2017 at 05:46 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

DavidBM wrote:
Ah yes I had forgotten that.
Be interesting to see who it goes; but basically it's magnifying the whole image circle so it's hard to believe there isn't a significant penalty.
Also, with a high enough resolution camera, it's not obvious that optical magnifying is any better than magnification in post (that's certainly shaping up to be true with many TCs on a high rez camera: I compared resampled crops with TC crops a while back, and it was swings and roundabouts)
In which case you may as well hold your 12mm lens straight, and then crop out the bit you want and
...Show more

There is a significant resolution penalty when cropping in post. Here is an experiment comparing the CV 12/5.6 III cropped to Canon's TS-E 17/4L framing: (Emulating shifting in post)
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1442885/1#13835941

It's likely that the Laowa 'magic' adapter (), will introduce some type of aberration but I have not tested it yet.

Jul 26, 2017 at 03:23 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

I'm trying to confirm if the info given here is accurate:
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/world-fastest-wide-angle-lens-sony-ship-august-10-laowa-15mm-f2-0/

Jul 26, 2017 at 06:07 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Fred Miranda wrote:
There is a significant resolution penalty when cropping in post. Here is an experiment comparing the CV 12/5.6 III cropped to Canon's TS-E 17/4L framing: (Emulating shifting in post)
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1442885/1#13835941

It's likely that the Laowa 'magic' adapter (), will introduce some type of aberration but I have not tested it yet.

Thanks Fred.
Yes I did similar tests on 4/17 and 3.5/24 compared with crop and resize, and found the same thing; of course that's comparing to a 'real' shift lens that natively has the large image circle.

I guess my thought was that the Laowa shift converter is magnifying the smaller image circle, so is going to be reducing the resolution per unit area as well as magnifying abberations, and perhaps adding some of its own.

Digital magnification on the other hand will do the first two things without adding any of its own.
On the other hand digital magnification is constrained by the sampling frequency (for our purposes the number of MP) of the original image. My guess is for some not unreasonably high number of MP in the original image you'll be better off doing crop and resize compared with a magic shift (just as we find with many teleconverters). Of course with a theoretically perfect magic shift you'll always be slightly better off with the magic shift, for the same reason that no matter how bad the lens, it is slightly improved with more MP on the sensor.

Exactly how high the 'not unreasonably high' number of MP is I don't know of course. Maybe it's higher than 42.

And of course all this applies to magic shift, not to real shift lenses with larger elements and larger native I image circles.

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

DavidBM wrote:
Thanks Fred.
Yes I did similar tests on 4/17 and 3.5/24 compared with crop and resize, and found the same thing; of course that's comparing to a 'real' shift lens that natively has the large image circle.

I guess my thought was that the Laowa shift converter is magnifying the smaller image circle, so is going to be reducing the resolution per unit area as well as magnifying abberations, and perhaps adding some of its own.

Digital magnification on the other hand will do the first two things without adding any of its own.
On the other hand digital magnification is constrained by the
...Show more

The best way to test this is to get the Laowa 12mm f/2.8 lens and the Laowa Magic Shift converter.
Choose a scene and shift the Magic converter to the very top (+10) showing some detail and then capture another image with the same lens + regular adapter.
In post, crop the "regular-adapter" image to look liked the "magic" adapted one and compare both at 1:1.

Jul 27, 2017 at 02:05 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Fred Miranda wrote:
The best way to test this is to get the Laowa 12mm f/2.8 lens and the Laowa Magic Shift converter.
Choose a scene and shift the Magic converter to the very top (+10) showing some detail and then capture another image with the same lens + regular adapter.
In post, crop the "regular-adapter" image to look liked the "magic" adapted one and compare both at 1:1.

Yep; although I'd up-Rez the crop first before comparing at 1:1

be interesting to do it with different resolution bodies. My hypothesis is that the higher the resolution of the body, the lower the difference between them.

Jul 27, 2017 at 02:37 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Fred Miranda wrote:
I'm trying to confirm if the info given here is accurate:
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/world-fastest-wide-angle-lens-sony-ship-august-10-laowa-15mm-f2-0/

I confirmed that the pre-order and shipment date posted on sonyalpharumors is not for the US market.

Here is what they wrote me:

"The rumors reported is only limited the China sales.. For other countries, the date is not fixed yet.."

Jul 27, 2017 at 03:58 PM
BastianK
• •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Fred Miranda wrote:
Here are the Laowa 15/2 FE @ f/2 (wide open) and f/2.8 crops next to each other. I'd say great performance wide-open.

Hey Fred, what are your contrast, clarity and sharpening values in these shots?

Aug 01, 2017 at 07:08 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

BastianK wrote:
Hey Fred, what are your contrast, clarity and sharpening values in these shots?

Hi Bastian,
I use my default LR landscape settings when testing at infinity.
LR: Sharpness: 50/0.8/45/6.
Radial Filter from 2/3rds to edges: Contrast/Clarity: small boost

Did you get another copy yet?
Take care,
Fred

Aug 01, 2017 at 08:49 PM
BastianK
• •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Fred Miranda wrote:
Hi Bastian,
I use my default LR landscape settings when testing at infinity.
LR: Sharpness: 50/0.8/45/6.
Radial Filter from 2/3rds to edges: Contrast/Clarity: small boost

Did you get another copy yet?
Take care,
Fred

Hi Fred,
thanks for telling me!

I got another copy yesterday, this time with decent centering quality.
Despite the obvious differences between cloudy Stuttgart and the more sunny area you live in I tend to say quality of the corners is comparable.

Aug 01, 2017 at 09:09 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Fred Miranda wrote:
I confirmed that the pre-order and shipment date posted on sonyalpharumors is not for the US market.

Here is what they wrote me:

"The rumors reported is only limited the China sales.. For other countries, the date is not fixed yet.."

Hmm 5,000 RMB. I could pick one up here in Shanghai before my Euro trip (Norway & Morocco top two destinations) from mid August. Very tempted, especially if there are any promotional launch prices (non Canon/Nikon/Sony are hard sells in China). Huge advantage over my Voigtlander 15/4.5 as I start my Astro journey.

EDIT. All of the usual outlets are selling at 5,000 RMB. The Irix 15/2.4 is 3,800 RMB (only Canon. Nikon, Pentax mounts, two weight options and front or rear filters).

Aug 02, 2017 at 09:35 AM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Another data point with coma testing: http://luketscharke.com/laowa-15mm-f2-fe-zero-d-initial-impressions/

Aug 06, 2017 at 05:38 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

pdmphoto wrote:
Another data point with coma testing: http://luketscharke.com/laowa-15mm-f2-fe-zero-d-initial-impressions/

Thanks for sharing - f2 doesn't look TOO terrible on that copy!
Chris

Aug 06, 2017 at 06:09 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Laowa 15mm f/2 FE: Rolling Review and Comparisons

Pre -orders

http://www.venuslens.net/product/laowa-15mm-f2/ref/5/

Aug 08, 2017 at 01:27 PM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell