Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

New EM1.2 + Olympus 25 f1.2 + PanaLeica 8-18 f2.8-4 owner...

Trots

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New EM1.2 + Olympus 25 f1.2 + PanaLeica 8-18 f2.8-4 owner does Lofoten - thoughts and pics

Hi all,

New member to this m43 forum, only posted in landscape before. I love my m43-gear and I thought this forum needs some more people posting.

I just bought an EM1 mark 2, the Olympus 25mm f1.2 PRO as well as the new Panasonic/Leica 8-18mm f2.8-4 and headed to Lofoten for a week. Yeah, I had been saving for a long time! Since there are recent topics asking for thoughts on EM1.2 for Lofoten and the new Panasonic UWA, I thought I'd write a little bit about my first serious outing with my new gear and share some pictures.

Camera - OMD EM1.2
I came from the original EM5 and had a Canon 7D before that. I had actually set my eyes on the Sony A7R2 and was more or less decided until I had them both in my hands in the store...the Olympus just felt much more comfortable and better weighted to the lenses. So I got home, downloaded and played around with pics from both of them and decided that the IQ difference not was big enough of an advantage. I put the money that I saved into nice and fast lenses. Definitely a step up in IQ from the EM5 and it's really a joy to shoot with. Quick to work with, fast and very accurate AF, held up under countless showers and the IBIS is pretty amazing. Just feels like a great camera and I'm sure it's gonna last me a long time. Nitpicks: I wish the menu system would be remade from the ground up, like everyone else, and the Olympus phone app feels very limited.

Panasonic Leica 8-18mm f2.8-4
Was debating between this one and the Olympus 7-14mm f2.8. Decided that I wanted regular filters and was concerned with the flaring in reviews so I settled for this one. It's definitely a step up from my Canon EF-S 10-22mm (and it should be as it's twice as expensive) as mine seems sharp across the frame at all focal lengths and works pretty well against the sun. No decentering issues on mine. Does vignette a bit with two ND filters and a circular polarizer at 8-9mm. It's probably a bit more useful as a city walk around lens than the Olympus but I wish it was f2.8 at 18mm as that's a little bit limiting for anything other than landscape. A solid choice and I'm happy with it but I wish I could try it next to the Olympus as it's kinda hard to compare. In other words, I wish I had both

Olympus 25mm f1.2 pro
Wow, that's all I can say. This is the best lens I've ever owned (though also the most expensive). It just renders beautifully and is sharp from 1.2. I shot most of the time wide open and it delivered. I kinda need to change my post-processing a bit for this one as it has great contrast even in RAW and looses some of that beautiful rendering if you process it like a cheap lens. Will need to use it more and am really looking forward to taking it out in the streets as well as doing some portraits with it.

I also brought my cheapo telephoto Olympus 40-150mm f4.5-5.6 as we were going out on a whale safari. I'm happy I did as I ended up using it for some landscape as well but compared to the lenses above, the pics were a bit lacklustre. My next lens to upgrade, I suppose.

Some quick tips for Lofoten:
- Midnight sun is pretty bright, who could have thought? Turned out my ND8 + ND4 combo was not quite enough to get good shutter speeds even at midnight.
- Wish I had used my tripod + High Res mode more as that seemed to add another 2 stops or so of blur to the water.
- The weather changes many times a day so it's worth sticking around in the good spots for a bit.
- As for lenses, I wouldn't want to be without a UWA and a standard. My telephoto got a surprising amount of use as well.

Now for some pics:

PANASONIC LEICA 8-18MM F2.8-4

14mm f4

12mm f4

13mm f4, 1s handheld (probably my worst 1s handheld during the trip, normally that would be fine)

14mm f8, Hi-Res

8mm f5.6

18mm f5.6

8mm f5.6

11mm f5.6

13mm f5.6

13mm f5.6

11mm f11

OLYMPUS 25MM F1.2 PRO

f1.2

f1.2

f4

f1.2

f1.2

f2

OLYMPUS 40-150MM F4-5.6

40mm f5.6

50mm f5.6
(puffins gotta be the most adorable birds in the world. They need to sprint across the water surface while flapping their wings a little bit before they can take off by jumping from the top of a wave)

Let me know if you have any comments or questions about the gear or Lofoten.

Edited on Jul 19, 2017 at 09:16 PM · View previous versions

Jul 19, 2017 at 09:08 PM
Trots

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New EM1.2 + Olympus 25 f1.2 + PanaLeica 8-18 f2.8-4 owner does Lofoten - thoughts and pics

Bah, let me try to fix the links...(fixed)

Jul 19, 2017 at 09:09 PM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New EM1.2 + Olympus 25 f1.2 + PanaLeica 8-18 f2.8-4 owner does Lofoten - thoughts and pics

Good photos, and the gear certainly didn't seem to limit you.

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:04 PM
kwalsh
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New EM1.2 + Olympus 25 f1.2 + PanaLeica 8-18 f2.8-4 owner does Lofoten - thoughts and pics

Welcome and thanks for posting! Looking forward to more great photos from you!

I've got a 8-18 right here right now - unfortunately decentered with a very soft corner. Second copy on its way already.

I think you did make the right choice though - the 7-14/2.8 has field curvature issues that make it not the best choice for landscape.

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:25 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New EM1.2 + Olympus 25 f1.2 + PanaLeica 8-18 f2.8-4 owner does Lofoten - thoughts and pics

WOW .... the PL 8-18 lens is looking good! But credit must be given to the maker of these images. The man behind the camera has a great eye! The last image of the puffin absolutely rocks!

BTW if you love the Oly 25/1.2 PRO you will be terribly impressed by the PL Nocticron, which is my favorite m43 lens. And Olympus is about to announce their 17/1.2 PRO lens which should be damn good too!

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New EM1.2 + Olympus 25 f1.2 + PanaLeica 8-18 f2.8-4 owner does Lofoten - thoughts and pics

I'd like to know how the noise at ISO 400 and higher compares to the E-M5. Could you comment on your observations about that?

Jul 20, 2017 at 01:46 AM
Trots

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New EM1.2 + Olympus 25 f1.2 + PanaLeica 8-18 f2.8-4 owner does Lofoten - thoughts and pics

Thanks Jorgen, kwals, bobby.

Bobby - Yeah, the Nocticron looks really nice too. I'm just not a big fan of the FL, too close to the 25 maybe? Have had the Olympus 45 f1.8 for a number of years and although it's a nice little lens, it just doesn't get that much use. Guess I'm more of a wide-angle guy. But the 75mm f1.8 has me tempted. Or if Olympus releases a 50mm f1.2 PRO. The rumored 17mm f1.2 PRO would be on my list for sure, but I wouldn't mind if it was 14-15mm instead, to pair up better with the 25mm.

Ernie - I actually never went past ISO 400 for the entire trip, partly due to midnight sun and partly due to the IS being so good so it's a bit early to tell. I discovered I could consistently shoot the 8-18mm at 3s exposure and get sharp images so the IS is a big step up from the EM5.

Jul 20, 2017 at 07:11 AM
maf27
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New EM1.2 + Olympus 25 f1.2 + PanaLeica 8-18 f2.8-4 owner does Lofoten - thoughts and pics

Welcome and thanks for sharing your pictures. Looks like you had a great time.

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:13 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New EM1.2 + Olympus 25 f1.2 + PanaLeica 8-18 f2.8-4 owner does Lofoten - thoughts and pics

Trots wrote:
Thanks Jorgen, kwals, bobby.

Bobby - Yeah, the Nocticron looks really nice too. I'm just not a big fan of the FL, too close to the 25 maybe? Have had the Olympus 45 f1.8 for a number of years and although it's a nice little lens, it just doesn't get that much use. Guess I'm more of a wide-angle guy. But the 75mm f1.8 has me tempted. Or if Olympus releases a 50mm f1.2 PRO. The rumored 17mm f1.2 PRO would be on my list for sure, but I wouldn't mind if it was 14-15mm instead, to pair up better with
...Show more

FWIW DXO Mark has given very high scores for the Nocticron and Oly 75/1.8 lenses on the E-M1:

https://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Panasonic-Leica-DG-Nocticron-42.5mm-F1.2-ASPH-OIS-lens-review-Best-performing-Micro-Four-Thirds-model/Panasonic-Leica-DG-Nocticron-42.5mm-F1.2-ASPH-mounted-on-Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-Highest-ranking-M4-3-lens-to-date

Score is higher on the E-M1.2 body:

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Panasonic/Panasonic-Leica-DG-Nocticron-42-5mm-F12-ASPH-mounted-on-Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-Mark-II__1136

Jul 20, 2017 at 03:41 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New EM1.2 + Olympus 25 f1.2 + PanaLeica 8-18 f2.8-4 owner does Lofoten - thoughts and pics

I very much like the Noctricron, but I love the 75mm f1.8

Its just a little jewel of a lens, perfect size, weight, solid build, reasonable price, especially used, and gives that amazing combination of fast aperture with a good deal of compression from a longer focal length.

Total must have for m4/3 shooters IMO

Jul 22, 2017 at 04:30 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password