Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire fun...

elkhornsun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

Moire is a minor annoyance. I have only had 3 images out of many thousands where moire was evident and it was due to subjects with a repetitive pattern (stripped shirt, striped tie, lace bridal veil). People, including the engineers at Nikon, expected that there could be moire problems with the D800e, and so they recommended avoiding small apertures with certain subjects like a roof with tiles for example. Turned out that this has not actually been a problem with this camera or its successor, the D810.

Even when I have seen moire in a shot it would not be present in prior or succeeding frames as it required not only the right subject but also the right angle and distance from the camera.

I do on occasion see moire in catalog and web images of models in stripped shirts that got past the editor but that is the extent of it in my own experience.

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:37 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

After using the moire reduction a bit, I'm not exactly impressed. In general Level 2 reduces it a little, but Level 3 kills too much color subtlety.

EBH

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:57 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

I downloaded the latest version and I'm embarrassed to say I can't find the moire adjustment.

Jul 24, 2017 at 08:50 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

Zenon Char wrote:
I downloaded the latest version and I'm embarrassed to say I can't find the moire adjustment.

Select "Edit image window" from the View menu, then go to the "Adjust Image Detail" tab in the 'actions' area at the right of the screen (red circle).

Jul 24, 2017 at 09:09 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

Thanks. It was right under my nose. I must have looked at each palette 10 times.

Jul 24, 2017 at 09:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

I can't wait for them to make dpp more user friendly. It is so unintuitive and such a pain in the ass to process a boat load of files through.

Jul 25, 2017 at 02:08 PM
shutterbug guy
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

RobertLynn wrote:
I can't wait for them to make dpp more user friendly. It is so unintuitive and such a pain in the ass to process a boat load of files through.

User friendly for what?

To this date I find DPP perhaps the best Canon RAW converter out there. Yeah it might be clunky a bit for other stuff but imho the OEM knows their software and has delivered. ymmv

Jul 25, 2017 at 02:46 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

I feel like the same people who design government websites designed this software.

Maybe the oem knows their kit better initially but I'm confident in the engineers and coders for other companies to find better operations, or more efficient operations for their software.

I have not used dpp for anything since 2012. Perhaps it's better now, but it was a giant pain in the rear end before, and to be frank adding another step to my process for, more than likely, negligible difference...no thanks.

shutterbug guy wrote:
User friendly for what?

To this date I find DPP perhaps the best Canon RAW converter out there. Yeah it might be clunky a bit for other stuff but imho the OEM knows their software and has delivered. ymmv

Jul 25, 2017 at 03:03 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

RobertLynn wrote:

I agree. I would love for it to draw some ideas - in terms of GUI - from Lightroom.

Jul 25, 2017 at 03:13 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

We looked at a low light, underexposed image on another thread and there it did beat Adobe. However with some effort for general photography I have been able to match Adobe to DPP.

DLO takes about 7 seconds to do it's thing so if you are applying to 200 files go make lunch while it is doing that part. Conversions take about 33 seconds. Time to go out for dinner. You cannot set DLO in the preferences so it runs automatically.

Despite that DLO is pretty fascinating. Canon's answer to capture sharpening which was long overdue. True deconvolution. Unlike Adobe's Detail Tab you can crank it to 100 and it will show no halos or artifacts. However with careful adjustments you can make the Adobe's Detail Tab work for you but you have to be careful no how much sharpening you apply.

The Detail TAB does more than we think. I have done some careful testing comparing DLO to the Detail Tab. Critical to (as Canon recommends) turn sharpening off before applying it. Now if you compare DPP to ACR/LR both have not had output sharpening applied so you are comparing apples to apples. While DLO does more it is responsible for AA filter correction just like the Detail Tab is.

I like ACR/LR's ability to set up default settings so all your personal settings apply automatically. This can be done with DPP using Recipe but I prefer Adobe's approach.

All said I use ACR, LR and DPP. It all depends on my mood and what I'm doing.

Jul 25, 2017 at 03:19 PM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password