Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

Photonadave
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

I noticed a “Reduce color moiré” feature was added when I recently updated DPP to version 4.6.30.0. It’s in with the noise reduction tools.

Has anyone tried it out yet and how effective is it? Please post examples.

I haven’t yet as I can’t find any of my files with this issue, even my 5DsR ones. I also did a search on this topic and came up empty so far.

From Canon USA site:

“Changes for Digital Photo Professional 4.6.30 for Windows :
- Supports EOS 6D Mark II, EOS Kiss X9 / EOS REBEL SL2 / EOS 200D, EOS-1D, EOS-1Ds.
- Adds a function for reducing color moiré.
- Supports the EOS 5D Mark IV Canon Log specification.”

Dunno if the Video crowd is excited with the last change/addition for 5D Mark IV. (I'm not into video)

Thanks ahead of time!

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:04 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

I have not used that yet, but was glad to see that the older cameras were added. It will be interesting to see what can be done with 1Ds files now. Moire was occasionally as issue due to the weak AA filter.

Of course there is moire with the 5DsR with sharp lenses at wider apertures.

EBH

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:20 AM
pshyvers

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

Wonder if this portends more unfiltered variants in the future, or gentler filters across the line.

Jul 19, 2017 at 12:51 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

I hope we soon won't need AA filters at all, after we get to 100 MP, or so, when the camera out-resolves the image that comes out of even the best of lenses. In this case, you're over-sampling the signal with confidence of no aliasing from energy outside the visible frequency range, because you have UV and IR filters over the sensor.

edit: P.S. this is a bit of a mixed-metaphor, but I still think we'll get there, pretty soon.

Edited on Jul 19, 2017 at 04:48 PM · View previous versions

Jul 19, 2017 at 01:39 PM
pshyvers

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

That certainly would be cool! To get from the 5DsR to 100MP, they would need to shrink to around a 3um pixel, which, following the historical trend might get us there in around 10 years.

Jul 19, 2017 at 04:09 PM
Colin F
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

I have v 4.5.0.0, but I don't see anywhere to check for an update - do I have to download from the Canon site?

Jul 19, 2017 at 05:43 PM
racoll
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

That's what I did.

Jul 19, 2017 at 05:54 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

Yes, you need to check Canon's site. I've marked my calendar to remind me to check for updates regularly. It turns out that in mid-June they updated almost all their apps.

Jul 19, 2017 at 06:12 PM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

Colin F wrote:
I have v 4.5.0.0, but I don't see anywhere to check for an update - do I have to download from the Canon site?

Get the latest software from Canon USA here .

You may be asked for a Canon camera serial number before being allowed to downloading the updated software.

Jul 19, 2017 at 08:34 PM
Colin F
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

Thanks. Done!

Jul 19, 2017 at 08:59 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

So Canon is finally adding features that third party vendors have had for years. Good for them.

Jul 20, 2017 at 01:59 AM
charlyw
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

Peter Figen wrote:
So Canon is finally adding features that third party vendors have had for years.

Why would they have needed them - the need only arose because they chose to release a camera that doesn't have enough resolution to make the AA-filter truly redundant (5DsR). So they got hit with the problem other manufacturers hit earlier on and thus needed a solution earlier than Canon. It's like: Out oven can hit 400°C but if you don't time your cooking process to the second you will end up with charred food - and here is a free knife to cut off that charred stuff...

Jul 20, 2017 at 07:44 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

charlyw wrote:
... It's like: Out oven can hit 400°C but if you don't time your cooking process to the second you will end up with charred food - and here is a free knife to cut off that charred stuff...

So, you've used my BBQ...

Jul 20, 2017 at 07:52 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

"Why would they have needed them - the need only arose because they chose to release a camera that doesn't have enough resolution to make the AA-filter truly redundant"

There were (and are) many more instances of moiré with the 5D3 than the 5DSR, primarily because the latter camera in many cases can just resolve the detail that was causing the moiré in the lower res cameras, so you actually need the filter less with the newer cameras than before. None of that addresses moiré on output which is a completely different issue, whether it's offset press or the grid of pixels on a monitor.

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:32 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

Abbott Schindl wrote:
Yes, you need to check Canon's site. I've marked my calendar to remind me to check for updates regularly. It turns out that in mid-June they updated almost all their apps.

I do wish Canon would announce these DPP updates. I started a thread some time ago in the hope it would catch on, it didn't.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1493032/0#14057395

Jul 20, 2017 at 01:17 PM
jrhoffman75
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

The apps are updated when a new camera is released. The Singapore site seems to be updated more promptly than USA.

Jul 21, 2017 at 05:24 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

I just updated my DPP a few days ago, thanks for the note that there is another added feature. As mentioned would be nice if there was a 'notification' of updates to DPP to the consumer that is registered with it currently.
Thanks
Karl

Jul 21, 2017 at 09:40 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

Not to mention update capability from within DPP itself...

Jul 21, 2017 at 01:35 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

It sure loads a lot faster.

Jul 21, 2017 at 02:59 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon DPP version 4.6.30.0 “Reduce color moiré” moire function added

Abbott Schindl wrote:

Still a pain but at least you don't have to restart your computer like DPP 3 and previous versions.

Jul 21, 2017 at 03:06 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.