Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2017 · Trading in 600ex-rt's for Godox V860II?

ashton lamont
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Trading in 600ex-rt's for Godox V860II?

joosay wrote:
Am I the only one still loving my 600s?

No way - I love them as well :- ) I have 3 of the 600EX-RT-II's. I hadn't been expecting the included Canon transparent bounce adapters - I'd tried the Stofens years ago and didn't think much of them - but Canon ones are working great and are very robust in their attaching to the guns. I haven't bothered with the included colour filters inside venues though because in the UK most have replaced their tungsten lightbulbs.

You can of course attaach two 600's to the camera body - one on the hot-shoe and as the master and the other on a short bracket right next to it as the slave if needs be. Can be easier than some of the larger 3rd party guns.

I'm very wary of 3rd party kit having had poor experience with the Mitros and with the original Godox PB960 dual lithium battery packs. I've re-purchased two 960's now and they work properly but the originals were a whole world of grief. Lots of people seem to like the Yongnuo's - particularly on price - but I'm put off by their variable reports on longevity.

Pete

Aug 02, 2017 at 03:48 AM
armor281
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Trading in 600ex-rt's for Godox V860II?

joosay wrote:

I can't find fault with the 600's. I was only looking to improve my workflow by charging less batteries.

Aug 02, 2017 at 04:10 AM
johnkiv

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Trading in 600ex-rt's for Godox V860II?

I am very happy with my canon 600 flash system. I have had them since they came out and the have always been reliable, some of them a few years old, many pops. If canon came out with AD 200 I would buy it just to stay compatible with what I already have.

I can't see changing systems, but I am still tempted to try an AD 200. I think the size, weight, lack of external battery may be useful to add to my kit.

John

Aug 02, 2017 at 06:37 AM
joosay
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Trading in 600ex-rt's for Godox V860II?

johnkiv wrote:
I can't see changing systems, but I am still tempted to try an AD 200. I think the size, weight, lack of external battery may be useful to add to my kit.

John

Agree with this. I would love to have a Canon equivalent of the AD200. I have the Cheetah Qflash equivalent and hate having to change to a different flash system for a wedding environment which is why I barely bring it to weddings anymore.

Aug 02, 2017 at 10:45 AM
Steven Leong

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Trading in 600ex-rt's for Godox V860II?

joosay wrote:

I love my 600s too... 2 of them with a ST-E3 basically solves most requirements for a wedding or engement session. Not sure about 3rd party stuff... especially ones with TTL / ETTL, was burnt badly by PW TT1/TT5 a long time ago and so far, the 600s haven't failed me a single time.

Aug 12, 2017 at 11:36 PM
hvu2012
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Trading in 600ex-rt's for Godox V860II?

I have both. But I keep Canon 600EX-RT as backup. I mainly use 860C-II for the whole wedding mainly due to the battery life and not having to carry the battery pack anymore.

One thing I notice from last week wedding that, after a while, the 860C-II body is warm and the flash recycle is slow even I set ev +1 on flash (I shoot ETTL), this not even 1/2 stop yet. So I don't know if this is a defect or not, but I keep the second one on site. If the one on camera gets warm, then I'll switch to another one.

I'll contact Adorama to see what they can do.

Aug 15, 2017 at 07:00 PM
ashton lamont
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Trading in 600ex-rt's for Godox V860II?

hvu2012 wrote:
I have both. But I keep Canon 600EX-RT as backup. I mainly use 860C-II for the whole wedding mainly due to the battery life and not having to carry the battery pack anymore.

One thing I notice from last week wedding that, after a while, the 860C-II body is warm and the flash recycle is slow even I set ev +1 on flash (I shoot ETTL), this not even 1/2 stop yet. So I don't know if this is a defect or not, but I keep the second one on site. If the one on camera gets warm, then I'll switch
...Show more

As an aside, the newer version of the Think Tank Skin Strobe (the 2) takes a Canon 600EX-RT II with ease even with its Stofen style bounce accessory left on it. If you have a gun slowing up its easy to just switch guns from the pouch on your normal belt.

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/waist_bags_belt_systems/think_tank_skin_strobe_v20/18257_p.html

Pete

Aug 16, 2017 at 04:10 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Trading in 600ex-rt's for Godox V860II?

In 2017, no lithium battery = no care

Aug 16, 2017 at 05:22 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Trading in 600ex-rt's for Godox V860II?

if you are thinking about going with godox ... then use cheetahstand (in the USA). This way you have direct customer service from Ed.

While i generally run all canon equipment for reliability and for their system (I have a siggy 20)...
With flash... tired of canon crazy prices.

I still have 2 600's. But really like the Cheetah stand (godox) stuff. The Xt1 trigger is sweet. Really like controlling OCF with a 860V (speedlight) too.
I run a dual camera setup.... one camera with on camera flash for fill... the other just to trigger OCF.

Enjoy not charging all the AA's.... never worry about having to change AA during a wedding, etc.

The AD200 is a blast.... flash head/bulb head, includes a grid with gels/barn doors and 1 lithium battery. 2.5/3x the power of a speedlight. be still my beating heart.

-Mark

Aug 16, 2017 at 06:50 AM
hvu2012
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Trading in 600ex-rt's for Godox V860II?

ashton lamont wrote:
As an aside, the newer version of the Think Tank Skin Strobe (the 2) takes a Canon 600EX-RT II with ease even with its Stofen style bounce accessory left on it. If you have a gun slowing up its easy to just switch guns from the pouch on your normal belt.

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/waist_bags_belt_systems/think_tank_skin_strobe_v20/18257_p.html

Pete

Thanks for link, Pete. I saw it a while ago, but never thought of getting one, until now

Aug 16, 2017 at 09:14 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Trading in 600ex-rt's for Godox V860II?

A couple questions for you guys.

How do the Godox 860 flashes handle heat? The Yongnuo YN600EX-RTs overheat quite easily and are borderline unusable outside in hot environments for me. They fire for a little bit, then simply stop working due to thermal throttling. The Canon 600s are solid and do not overheat easily.

How is the range on these flashes? I only get maybe 40-50 feet range on the Canon 600EX-RTs outdoors - which isn't great.

Aug 19, 2017 at 07:19 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Trading in 600ex-rt's for Godox V860II?

Heat ... me in texas .... I do use the AD200 outside for fill in formals.
The 860VC are fine. not much different than a canon.
If you are constantly popping the flash because of Low iso and medium power then they might thermally shut down. but so would a canon.

Range ... I shot this one at 100 yards across the lake about a month ago. flash is on the ground.
XT1 trigger..... 860VC flash.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Villagio-Resorts/2017/Special-images/i-vPHvddD/0/e91c972b/X2/Lauren-Naved%20Wed-1-X2.jpg

Edited on Aug 20, 2017 at 01:30 PM · View previous versions

Aug 19, 2017 at 09:07 AM
Gary Harfield
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Trading in 600ex-rt's for Godox V860II?

I have 6 of these, and this here is the NEWEST version.

https://yongnuousa.net/products/600ex-rt

Aug 20, 2017 at 11:35 AM
johnkiv

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Trading in 600ex-rt's for Godox V860II?

I have been tempted by this combination. Looking at the mini r2, I wonder how useful it would be as a flash. What has been your experiences with it when you use it with the flash on. Does it have enough power to give a subject some fill when an off camera flash is throwing a shadow you would like to fill? In a pinch, what can you expect from it when you are using it as a fill flash on camera? Slow to recycle? It would be nice to have something lighter on the camera than a full-size flash.

I am new to the ad200 and X1T trigger. So far, adapting and getting generally good results. The manual and other instructions available seem a bit cryptic to me.

Still have my canon strobes and there will be times when I will use them. I have noticed that flash with the 5dmk4 seems better than with the mk3. Hate to take a step back.

Thanks, John

Sep 05, 2017 at 07:58 AM
armor281
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Trading in 600ex-rt's for Godox V860II?

Well, I took the plunge. I ordered 5 Godox V860II's form B&H. I will keep the Canons with me and ready to go if needed until I am convinced that the Godox will be reliable. At least I can now use the AD200 with the rest of the system. Looking forward to no more battery packs and charging the AA's

Sep 05, 2017 at 08:27 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Trading in 600ex-rt's for Godox V860II?

Ziff, that photo is so money

Sep 05, 2017 at 09:58 AM
armor281
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Trading in 600ex-rt's for Godox V860II?

Ok so, I have the V860II=C's and it seems to me that, just as with the Canon brand, the on-camera master will default to TTL with no way to change it. If I am missing something I am all ears to hear how to put my on-camera master to manual when I have it set to fire.

Anyone have insight on this?

Sep 07, 2017 at 01:47 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Trading in 600ex-rt's for Godox V860II?

If the interface/firmware is like the Canon's, then you have to use "Group A" to control the on-camera flash. I use groups B-D for the remote flashes, since A controls the on-camera.

Sep 10, 2017 at 07:39 AM
armor281
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Trading in 600ex-rt's for Godox V860II?

deepbluejh wrote:
If the interface/firmware is like the Canon's, then you have to use "Group A" to control the on-camera flash. I use groups B-D for the remote flashes, since A controls the on-camera.

I have called into CPS and per them, the on-camera master defaults to ETTL with no option to change mode of operation, have you had a different experience? However, I hear that the new firmware update allows the Godox to operate as you have stated.

Sep 13, 2017 at 09:08 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Trading in 600ex-rt's for Godox V860II?

Yes, it defaults to ETTL, but you can use Group A to control the on-camera flash. This works 100%, at least in Manual or ETTL mode. I have not tried it in other modes. If we are talking about Godox, then I don't know.

Sep 14, 2017 at 06:36 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.