Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · The black falls (Svartifoss)

rhawidantas
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The black falls (Svartifoss)

(Taken last year)

I have this one hanging on my wall. Iceland became my favorite country for landscapes (even though it is already super cliche) since both the weather and landscape change so much in a such a short period of time.

This one though sky was really uninspiring with thick clouds and barely any openings so I decided to turn it into a B&W to try to salvage it and I have to say I became quite pleased by it (if I say so myself ). I tried to develop it so the textures would become more dramatic and apparent.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Portfolio/LANDSCAPE/i-T7FpSjJ/0/acebdaa5/X3/dantas.photography-ILCE-7M2-20-June-2016-DSC06161-X3.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

Jul 18, 2017 at 03:06 PM
Shakenbake

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The black falls (Svartifoss)

Very nice, inspires me to dig out my shots from 2015 and play with some B&W processing.

Jul 18, 2017 at 04:40 PM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The black falls (Svartifoss)

Color version by any chance?

Jul 18, 2017 at 04:56 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The black falls (Svartifoss)

EGrav wrote:
Color version by any chance?

Why not just enjoy this B&W?

Jim

Jul 18, 2017 at 06:58 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The black falls (Svartifoss)

Very nice work here, I really enjoy this B&W and the vision you had for it.

Jim

Jul 18, 2017 at 06:59 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The black falls (Svartifoss)

Wow, that is amazing. I almost didn't click on the link, glad I did

Jul 18, 2017 at 08:41 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The black falls (Svartifoss)

Very nice, love the B&W conversion, great tonal range. Cliche or not...who cares, Iceland is a great place, on my bucket list for sure.

Jul 18, 2017 at 09:07 PM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The black falls (Svartifoss)

JimFox wrote:
Why not just enjoy this B&W?

Jim

Because (in my opinion) most landscape images look MUCH better in color than b&w. Why in this modern age should you throw away half of the information that our modern sensors have collected (the color info)?
(BTW, there is a b&w forum that those images can be posted to where people who enjoy b&w can see them.)
So I think it is highly likely I would enjoy these images in natural color, the same way our eyes see the world. The only time we do not see in color is night time. If the OP doesn't want to put up a color version, that is their prerogative.

Jul 18, 2017 at 09:40 PM
lostinjapan
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The black falls (Svartifoss)

Beautifully done and it works very well in BW. As cliche as it maybe, I am heading to Iceland for the first time this fall (if all goes as planned) and this is inspiring to me.

Thanks for sharing.

Ryan

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:27 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The black falls (Svartifoss)

If it's true that some images were made for b&w conversion, this must be one of them. Love the composition.
Fred

Jul 18, 2017 at 11:08 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The black falls (Svartifoss)

Wonderful image - well captured, composed, and processed. Very enjoyable to view this one!
Keith W.

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:49 AM
rhawidantas
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The black falls (Svartifoss)

Shakenbake: Thanks man. BTW, love the nickname. To me, redoing some of my old shots help because I became more experienced in editing and I can see what I did wrong before.

EGrav: Sorry. No color version. It wasn't an inspiring shot anyway. Barely any colour.

JimFox: Thank you. Nowadays with this EVF cameras you can just as easily turn on the B&W "simulator" on it and see if it works.

AmbientMike: Wow thank you for the nice words. Glad you enjoyed it.

Travis Rhoads: That's true. It's just that sometimes it feels like Iceland has been done to death, I have a lot more photos. But I guess no one is ever original anymore.

lostinjapan: No worries man. Yeah its like going to Paris and taking no Eifel tower shots right? :P

Fred Miranda: wow Fred thank you very much. I really dig your photos and getting a compliment from you means a lot.

kwilliam8: Thank you for your kind words. Much appreciated.

Jul 20, 2017 at 01:56 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.