FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Best Earplugs?

MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Best Earplugs?

Mark_L wrote:
It is an absolute epidemic here in the UK not just weddings but just about every bar and club in existence. You go out with friends to be social and spend the evening mouthing "what?" and yelling at each other. Being unable to speak the next day is as frequent as the hangovers. It is basically impossible to take a date to those places outside of an early weekday evening.

Bands in small venues I can sort of understand. The drums are just going to be a certain volume, nothing you can do and all the other instruments need to match
...Show more

I haven't met a DJ yet that does not play his/her music too loud. Buffoonery is what I say.

Jul 21, 2017 at 05:27 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Best Earplugs?

I never get within 15 feet of the speakers. To say that this is the only place to get the pictures you want or need makes no sense at all. Facing away from the speakers also reduces the impact on your ears considerably.

Worthwhile to give this serious consideration as they now know that if you have ringing in your ears it is indicative of permanent hearing damage.

I also do not spend that much time out on the dance floor taking pictures. Think about how many of such shots actually make it into the couple's album. I am not going to spend a couple hours taking pictures of the dancers to provide 6-10 images for the album. I get the shots of the groom and the bride and any key individuals that are special to them, an aunt or close friend, etc., and don't worry about the guests.

So many people are taking snapshots with their phones during the wedding that these types of shots are not something I care to duplicate with my cameras and lenses. I learned early on not to confuse quantity with performance for my clients.

Jul 21, 2017 at 06:46 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Best Earplugs?

elkhornsun wrote:
I never get within 15 feet of the speakers. To say that this is the only place to get the pictures you want or need makes no sense at all.

Who said that?

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:32 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Best Earplugs?

The OP if you read the first post.

"I need a pair of earplugs for the dancing during the reception. The music is simply too loud, and oftentimes, the best spot for me is right next to a speaker"

The DJ will always have their speakers on one side of the dance floor and I am in the center or outer edges of the dance area. The key shots of the B&G and wedding party are done early when the volume is not going to be very loud. The last two hours when the volume is loud is not a time where I worry about getting pictures that will go into the wedding album.

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:57 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Best Earplugs?

elkhornsun wrote:
The OP if you read the first post.

"I need a pair of earplugs for the dancing during the reception. The music is simply too loud, and oftentimes, the best spot for me is right next to a speaker"

The DJ will always have their speakers on one side of the dance floor and I am in the center or outer edges of the dance area. The key shots of the B&G and wedding party are done early when the volume is not going to be very loud. The last two hours when the volume is loud is not a time where
...Show more

Exactly - OP said "oftentimes, the best spot" not that it was the "only place to get pictures." Glad you found what works for you, but just because you shoot one way does not mean the rest of the world does.
The OP simply asked for suggestions on a problem he was having, which 99.9% responded thoughtfully to. This really didn't need to turn into a "my way is better" post.

Jul 23, 2017 at 05:41 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password